Stan's Closes | FerrariChat

Stan's Closes

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Dino246gts, Apr 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Stan's Donuts in Westwood closed 4/9.
    I started as an undergraduate at UCLA in 1968. I have forgotten much of what I learned. But I have not forgotten, nor will I ever forget Stan's donuts. They kept me going for so many years

2. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    It really is too bad. Whenever I'd go back to UCLA, I'd stop in for the Elvis one.

3. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    The Elvis one? Darn it I missed that one. My favorite was the peanut butter and jelly and, of course, the apple fritter. And depending on when you were at UCLA, way back in the day, you could go in at 1 AM and get a dollar bag when they were clearing the shelves for the next day's fresh donuts. What is a dollar bag you may ask? A dollar for a dozen (+1), any type, donuts. I would get 2 bags, freeze them and they would last a month or two ...... depending on my weight at the time. Oh ...... and I forgot the chocolate, chocolate chip cinnamon roll.

4. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I thought it was the Elvis, PB, Banana, choc. I think we paid $2.50 a donut!

5. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Makes perfect sense that a PB and banana would be called the Elvis. I don't recall the chocolate in there. $2.50 sounds about right ....... recently. It was excellent! Oh, the memories.

6. fullmonty

fullmonty Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2007
    LALAland
    Full Name:
    Mel
    UCLA in the mid-late 70's, loved the orange crisp.

7. bmw_e30

bmw_e30 Karting

Sep 25, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    very sad that stans closed and about a month ago nate n al's closed (but might reopen in a few months in a new location)

8. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Hopefully they do reopen. Stan's unfortunately appears gone forever.

9. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Broke out of the UCLA hospital in 1997 and my first stop was there. Almost collapsed from the sugar rush and barely made it back to the hospital ward. Well worth it!

Dino246gts and darth550 like this.
  10. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Got my first pimple at Stan's after a large peanut butter donut.

Dino246gts and Texas Forever like this.
  11. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    I think Nate n Als is gone forever; the deal they had to move fell through. With it and Stan's closed, we still have Randy's on Manchester at the 405 for donuts, and Langer's near Macarthur Park on Alvarado as a really good Jewish deli (their #19 pastrami is a work of art).

Even in her days of dementia, my Mom always loved going to Langer's as a reminder of her youth. She lived in an apartment above Philippe's when she first moved to LA, so we also went there with her so she could tell us stories (the same ones again and again...) about LA in the 1940's.

Steve00 and Dino246gts like this.
  12. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Nate N Al's is back open for takeout and I think soon to be indoor seating. If not, Factors is right down the street and Canters is just a few steps away. There's also a new Randy's at Century City mall. Got ya covered!

Dino246gts and TestShoot like this.