Standing Rib Roast | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Standing Rib Roast

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by UroTrash, Feb 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Camus is one of my favorites Nice!

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Happy looking dogs.

Darth - what kind of dog is Zoey?

T

3. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    #128 lopena, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    That looks great. I forgot to take pics of mine but it turned out decent. Was cooking at my sisters house though and it went a little too long. Thought I had pulled it out in time but should have been at least 10-15 minutes sooner. Was still very tasty and enjoyed by all but a little closer to medium than rare.

The crust worked out well. I used creamy style store bought horseradish, most of a head of garlic, salt, and pepper. Spun all that up in the processor and added just a little olive oil to get the consistency I was looking for.

Still have the 5-6lb chunk in the freezer so will do it up one of these days at home where I know the oven.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    She's a miniature Schnauzer
    Thanks for that. I knew chicken bones splintered but didn't figure beef ribs would. Next time they'll be raw. :)

6. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

Beef rib bones are about the only bones I'll give my dogs. But I watch them. I let them clean the good stuff off but take them away before they start chewing pieces off. Have never had any issues.

I brought the ribs home from our roast yesterday and will cook them up tomorrow for my dinner. The dogs will get the bones but like I said I watch them closely.

7. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  8. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    What was yours rubbed with?

9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    After my bypass surgery I decided to try Bison, and I have not eaten any other red meat since. It is better for you than chicken or fish, and I have lost 54lbs (have a 29-30" waist), the blood pressure of a 20 year old. It is not cheap (I buy from 5 different suppliers), but my freezers are full of bison steaks, burgers, ribs, hot dogs, bacon, roasts, even bison corned beef.

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I love bison. Elk too. Have eaten it at restaurants. Never at home. Since it's so lean, do you cook it differently from beef?
    T

11. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Our prime rib was rubbed with copious and equal amounts of coarse kosher salt, fresh-ground black pepper and garlic powder. One important step to get a nice crust is to thoroughly dry the roast with paper towels prior to popping it in the oven.

This roast weighed 20.5 lbs and could have easily fed 18 normal people (or 14 Italian-Americans). There were no left-overs.

12. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That looks amazing.

Did you bake it or smoke it, combination?

13. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    We simply roasted it in the oven...450 degrees for 20 mins to form the crust, then 3 hrs at 325. Then you start checking the internal temp with a digital meat thermometer until it hits 125 at its thickest point. Remove from oven, tent with aluminim foil and let it rest for at least 30 minutes. It'll be a perfect medium rare.

14. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thanks. Sounds perfect.

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Bumping this thread, because it's that time of the year...T

16. Musta10000

Musta10000 Rookie

Nov 22, 2003
    Urbandale, Iowa
    Full Name:
    Skip Hammerman
    NbyNW and tomc like this.
  17. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I've had MrB's famous horseradish paste on mine, vacuum-sealed in a bag for the last 24 hours, waiting for a 9 hours sous vide cook tomorrow at 132.

Can't wait.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Musta10000 likes this.
  18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Yumbo!!
    T

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Cooked to 125 F internal temp in oven. Then outside in the BGE stoked to 600 F with a few oak wood chunks. 15 mins of crustification in the BGE. Few minutes of resting (it rested about 15 mins while I got the BGE to temp).

Came out perfect. Outside slice cooked enough for wife. Inside slice rare enough for me. That crust is money!
    Dog don't care, 'cause she's licking my leg, begging for a taste!
    T

cls likes this.
  21. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  23. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Mine came out awesome today. Boneless 6lb. Smoked on the BGE with just a hint of apple wood at 225 until it hit an internal temp of 115 degrees. It finished early, so I wrapped it in foil and kept it in a cooler for about an hour or so. Just before eating, I cranked up the BGE to about 600 degrees, and seared it for about 5 min on each side. This brought the internal temp to ~125 degrees. Looked beautiful, and tasted great.

Of course, I forgot to take pictures...

24. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    You guys and all your fancy eggs and grills. Pffft. I just threw a 10+ lber in the oven with salt, pepper, and a touch of garlic powder. I did the old standby 500 for 20 minutes then 275 for about 2.5 hours. Pulled it when the dead center hit about 115 and let it rest for a bit. It was honestly just about perfect. Medium rare to almost medium on the ends and nice and rare in the middle.

Sorry no pics, forgot to change phones. Oh, and this was done in a strange oven too, my Nephew and his baby mama wanted to host in their new apartment. It was fun. :)

For the record I was going to do the garlic horseradish rub but have been sick for three days so just kept it simple. A big ole heapin helpin of extra hot horseradish with mine did wonders to help clear out the old sinuses. ;)

Belated Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all!!!