standard wheel / LED carbon wheel | FerrariChat

standard wheel / LED carbon wheel

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by HDN, Apr 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HDN

HDN Rookie

Apr 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Herman N
    Hello,

I am just new on Ferrari Chat. I have read a lot of helpful advices.
    I have a California 2011 and want to change my standard wheel to a Led wheel.
    I do not want to spend € 7000 on a carbon wheel..
    is there any one who did the job DIY ?
    do you have to reprogram the ECU ?
    Are the connectors and wires already installed in the wheel under the airbag ?

Herman

2. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    I studied the same exact thing before buying and found out its pretty involved. You can buy the wheel used for around $5000 on ebay. An indy can install it for you but the lights will not work until dealer programs the car with LED steering code. They charge one-hour labor here in Houston to do that.

I figured the steering was my MUST requirement so I kept shopping until I found my car. As a bonus, my particular car also has CF door inserts, CF gearshift pedals, and Full CF center tunnel.

Its doable but it will cost too much in time. Money is pretty much same as if you were to buy a new one vs retrofitting.

Is it worth it? Hell yeah!

3. HDN

HDN Rookie

Apr 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Herman N

4. HDN

HDN Rookie

Apr 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Herman N
    Mobinakthar,

Thank you for your answer.

I also found out the proxy must be changed at the Ferrari dealer, but that is no problem, my dealer will do this for me.
    The biggest problem is, if the NVO in my standard wheel already has the drivers for the LEDS.Otherwise I have to look for another NVO.
    Next week I will go to my F. dealer to see if the NVO in my standard wheel has the electronics for the LEDS.

At what RPM do the 5 leds change and burn ?

You can also change the red California leds for the 458 leds ,they are green, green, green,orange and finally red .

5. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Nice.... I wonder how difficult to change the LED's. FYI, @ 5th LED if you don't shift, there is an immediate fuel cut-off. Its around 7300 I believe - done it couple times as I got distracted. Car kind of complains and whines too. I do not believe you need a different NVO - better confirm with dealer. AFAIK its just hardware change in steering and dealer programming. Programming just tells Cali that you have LED's and information flows to them. Its one way comm (status) for LED's, not a two-way so should be not very involved.

6. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I get a fuel shut off at exactly red line. It has nothing to do with the led. It will happen at exact red line in California T. I have never noticed if last led comes at red line. My guess is it does not.

7. HDN

HDN Rookie

Apr 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Herman N
    I found out that there are 2 types of NVO units in the steering wheel.Non led steering have the NVO F149 NIT ,led steering have the NVO F 149 FULL,
    this means the FULL has the connector fitted on the circuit board where the cable goes to the leds in the steering + the led drivers and electronics.

I do not know where to buy the single NVO full as a spare part. Ferrari does supply it,you have to buy the complete Carbon LED steering wheel.

Does any body know where to get a single NVO ? May be from a wrecked steering wheel ?

Hope you Ferrari lovers can give some suggestions where to get a single NVO FULL unit.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I swapped mine in my 2012 California and no programming was needed. It just worked.

Thanks,
    Erik

9. Sebaf430

Sebaf430 Rookie

Apr 20, 2019
    Italy
    Hello to everybody!
    I am just new on Ferrari Chat. I have read a lot of helpful advices
    I just bought a carbon led and i know that my cali 2010 has the cable (ferrari says that all the assembley Number till 103 k can install the Carbon led)
    I know that i need a proxy to turn on the led lights.. anyone knows how much does it cost? Thanks!!!

10. VLF

VLF Rookie

Dec 12, 2015
    Serbia
    Full Name:
    Vladan
    Hello,
    Did you solve LEDs to work?
    I just bought LED steering wheel for my 2010 California.
    The LEDs light up when the ignition is switched on, but not when driving.

11. Mechanicrene

Mechanicrene Rookie

Aug 8, 2022
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Rene Lucero
    Hello, did you ever get the LED lights to work when driving?

12. Sebaf430

Sebaf430 Rookie

Apr 20, 2019
    Italy
    Hello .. no.. you can solve your problem and have the light works when you are driving if ferrari give you a proxy.. but ferrari gives the proxy only if the SW is bought in ferrari ! Not for used parts!

Mechanicrene likes this.
  13. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    I would love it if we could add the LEDS to the non carbon fiber wheel. I was toying with the idea of trying to make that myself. All I would need is the LED section from a wrecked car, an arduino and a mcp2515 chip. You read the rpm from the can bus and just have the arduino turn on the lights as the rpms increase. My only issues would be getting the led section to match the black leather ion the steering wheel.