Stand Up Desks | FerrariChat

Stand Up Desks

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Schatten, Feb 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Anyone use a stand up desk?

It's that time, my desk has bit the bullet at the office, and I'll be piecing something cheap or even some ikeahack together soon. I am not spending hundreds for some one else's ultimate stand up or even sit down desk. It isn't a show piece and we have no visitors here. Purely functional.

What's your take on stand up desks?

2. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I have one and love it.

I hate the feeling of sitting all day. You will notice a difference being on your feet all day but good, comfortable shoes helps a lot.

3. SuperJ

SuperJ F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    I love my stand up desk! Mine is actually motorized and can move up and down. I keep a bar stool nearby but generally stand. It helps support a better posture and keep the energy up. When sitting I find myself slouching and getting more tired.

4. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    If I'm not mistaken, experts correct me, the best you can do is alternate between sitting and standing (and any other positions your kind of work allows :eek:). IIRC standing the whole day is just as good or bad as sitting.

5. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    I believe the best choice is a seated position with a good number of breaks for standing/walking during the work day to avoid things like dvt. I can think of a few possible negative effects from standing all day. I did have a half-way type of desk in school many years ago when I took mechanical drawing. It wasn't standing nor sitting kind of halfway with a stool.

But if i needed to choose I would choose sitting in a very well designed/constructed ergonomic chair.