ManLife - SR-71 Blackbird: The Fastest Plane Ever Built | FerrariChat

ManLife SR-71 Blackbird: The Fastest Plane Ever Built

Discussion in 'Social Media' started by rob lay, Feb 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I love that Sled Driver story in the article with the speed check...my favorite plane by far. I've been fortunate to see about 1/3 of the ones remaining in existence and oddly enough most of them have been A12s.

Last year I finally was able to buy that book after searching for the right one and it even has the original box it was shipped with. Awesome read.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

For an in-depth review by a former pilot of the SR-71 and Squadron Commander, read Col. Richard H. Graham's book: ":The complete book of the SR-71 Blackbird".

Many cars have been patterned in that motif - most notably the Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

Caeruleus11 and rob lay like this.
  4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I remember building the model as a kid...amazing design!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 and rob lay like this.
  5. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
  6. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    museum of flight here in seattle has a blackbird . ( enclosed picture of my murray super sonic jet pedal car done as the blackbird. murray made them from mid 50's to mid 60's as "jet age " pedal cars. ) Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 and Nicolas21 like this.
  7. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I love the Sled Driver story of them flying over Libya. Sometime in the mid-80’s I saw one at an air show in Oklahoma City. I met a friend at the airport early the next morning to watch it take off. Right after the wheels were off the ground, the pilot hit the throttle and basically went straight up. I’ll never forget it.

Caeruleus11 and Duuc like this.
  8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Im curious. The a12 was not around very long, where as the follow on SR71 lasted a long time why was that. Was the A12 defcient somehow.

9. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

My understanding is that the A12 was slightly better performance wise, but the SR71 had a greater crusing range as well as better intelligence gathering capability.

There may also have been some "jealousy" in that the A12 pilots were all CIA and not Air Force. A bit of a thorn-in-the side perhaps that the ultimate performance aircraft was not Air Force. That changed with the SR71.

10. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    They used to have a Blackbird Day at various bases. I went to the one at March AFB in Riverside a few years ago twice. They had several of the former pilots, including one old man in a wheelchair. I think he was the first pilot. Each pilot would speak for about half an hour and you had to pay extra to go to a lunch. I enjoyed the stories bout bailing out at 90,000 ft. the aborted take off, and the one where over Hanoi, five pilots arranged to cross over the same point at the same time from different directions. I imagine they broke a few windows...What book has these kinds of anecdotes? One of my favorites was from a short guy (5 ft.?) who said he was at a cocktail party of all kinds of military pilots and each one, as they went around the room , would name the plane he flew and when they got to him and he said "SR71" there was a silence as everybody took that in and then some tall pilot boomed out "No way--you're too short and too ugly to have flown a Blackbird,"

11. manta22

manta22 Karting

Jun 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Neil P. Albaugh
    For the record, the SR-71 is NOT the fastest plane ever built. The X-15 flew higher and faster than any airplane ever built.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The X-15 was dropped from a B-52, was rocket powered, and had no main landing gear. Quite a bit different from an SR-71, which took off and landed under its own power on a runway. Just depends on your definition of an airplane. The Shuttle Orbiter was quite a bit faster than the X-15, around 20 Mach numbers faster, and has some features that more qualify it as an airplane than the X-15.

13. manta22

manta22 Karting

Jun 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Neil P. Albaugh
  14. italia16

italia16 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2004
    The Shuttle Orbiter is considered a spacecraft (went to orbit) while the X-15 is considered an aircraft (did not orbit but did go into the lower reaches of space, and used its nose, wing, etc thrusters to maneuver for very short periods, as well as its control surfaces, if they still had any effectiveness). Given that, the SR-71 was the fastest operational aircraft.

15. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    Reminds me of this :

Cirorsi and Altoria F like this.
  16. Akajak1

Akajak1 Karting

Jun 24, 2020
    UK
    I live near RAF Mildenhall/Lakenheath in Uk.
    Pre-terror days there used to be an annual air show and was always great to see the Blackbird, shame those days prob gone forever.
    Really good atmosphere, ice cold buds, burgers, friendly crowd, bril.

RossoCorsaItaly likes this.
  17. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    When I was a kid learning how to play golf near Castle AFB in Merced, CA, the SR-71’s from Beale AFB in Marysville, CA used to do touch and go’s all the time. The SR made a vastly different sound than the other jets. My father was stationed there (93rd Air Refueling Squadron). He told me the cameras on the SR could film from as high as 80,000 feet and could identify the brand of your golf ball. Many of the pilots stationed there were car guys too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

375+ and F40org like this.
  18. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    This is the Hazy air museum at Dulles airport. SR 71 with a shuttle behind it.

375+ likes this.
  19. PACINO

PACINO Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2007
    California
    My father led the technical design development team and in 1960 gave me a scale model of this amazing aircraft, which I still have today. At that time the original classified version was actually the YF-12A, designed as an experimental interceptor to stop incoming ICBMs. He also pioneered the Sidewinder missile in 1955 at China Lake Naval Ordinance Test Station (where I was born), this air-to-air weapon is still used today on our fighter aircraft obviously with more sophisticated guidance. You can see the original A-12 at a static display at Edwards AFB.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nembo1777, F40org, tritone and 5 others like this.
  20. manta22

manta22 Karting

Jun 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Neil P. Albaugh
    Not to take anything away from the SR-71, it was a remarkable airplane. As far as the space shuttle is concerned, on launch it was a piggyback on a rocket; on re-entry it was a glider. A spacecraft, not an airplane. Both the X-15 and SR-71 could perform maneuvers such as climb, dive, roll, accelerate, etc. The X-15 was almost TWICE as fast as an SR-71 and the SR-71 was damned fast. The X-15 first flew in the summer of 1959, before the era of computer simulations, FEA (Finite Element Analysis), or (Computer Aided Design) - just a bunch of guys with slide rules and log tables. Great engineers! North American Aircraft and Lockheed turned out incredible airplanes.

21. PACINO

PACINO Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2007
    California
    Still have my dad’s slide rule he used at work!

jett40 and Duuc like this.
  22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think they just call it the fastest "air breathing" aircraft in the world. X15 is rocket powered. Shuttle is assisted on launch (3 main engines on it + 2 SRBs). etc

23. manta22

manta22 Karting

Jun 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Neil P. Albaugh
    An ME163 was also rocket powered. Does this make it not an airplane. Propulsion technology is not a criteria for being an airplane.

24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Pilots on some X-15 flights qualified for astronaut wings, so apparently really high altitude is not a qualification for an airplane either. We are just getting into semantics here. If you think the Shuttle Orbiter was just gliding stably during reentry, you have some research to do. The ME-163 took off and landed under its own power, even if it did jettison its MLG, so easily qualifies as an airplane. No RCS, either.

Just dawned on me why I never read the general forums. FChat posts of the week fooled me into thinking this was in the aviation forum. Should have known better.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  25. bigblock427

bigblock427 Rookie

Sep 26, 2015
    Edmond, OK
    Full Name:
    Brent
    What an engineering marvel that plan was. Both when it was designed and in the present day.

Long story short. I had the opportunity to meet an SR-71 pilot and see the plane up close and personal in 1998.

If you are interested in the SR-71, I highly recommend the below book
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login