348 - Squealing Pumpkin | FerrariChat

348 Squealing Pumpkin

Discussion in '348/355' started by Lolwut, Apr 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lolwut

Lolwut Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2019
    The 348 started crying for help after a cold start recently. Please see attached link for video. The noise is coming from the pumpkin and resolves initially If i press the clutch (I usually dont press clutch when starting engine). The noise does return intermittently after this but is much less frequent when warm.

Hot starts are still normal.

Thoughts? Is this the start of a failing throw out bearing?

https://youtube.com/shorts/Qap1ChK6hnE

2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    One of those bearings is bad, that's for sure. When you get it apart, make sure all the flywheel to clutch bolts are tight too.

sjd

308 GTB likes this.
  3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Nothing good is going to come from that car if you continue to ignore the cry for help. Stop driving it. Remove the pumpkin. Replace the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing(s), triple seals, and repack the Kluber grease. Does not sound cheap.

308 GTB likes this.
  4. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    If it only sounds when the gear is engaged, it can be the last kogg wheel in the end of the gearbox closest to the rear wall. That wheel can came loose and then scratch against the gearbox housing wall from inside. That is not good....

5. Lolwut

Lolwut Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2019
    The sound only occurs when the clutch is engaged (ie pedal not pressed) and only seemed to happen when cold. I have not driven the car since it started to make the noise.

There has been no leakage from the pumpkin but does this sound occur when additional kluber grease alone is needed? Or am I way off here?

6. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The throw out (TO) bearing is always in contact with the "fingers" of the pressure plate so it spins whether the clutch pedal is pressed or not. When the pedal is not pressed, two small coil springs in the slave cylinder assembly keep the TO bearing relatively lightly pressed against the "fingers". It seems to me that your TO bearing has started seizing so, when cold it is stiffer and, instead of turning with the pressure plate, it slips since the two coil spring pressure is not enough to keep the TO bearing spinning with the plate "fingers". The sound you have is much like dry metal to metal rubbing.

When you press the pedal, the TO bearing is pressed much harder against the "fingers" so it stops slipping and is forced to spin. When it warms up, the TO bearing stiffness is probably reduced and it starts turning under the two coil springs pressure instead of slipping.

If, when you remove the pumpkin, you find that the problem is the TO bearing, it is probably a good idea to replace the whole slave cylinder with a Hill Engineering one (if not already done by the PO). As for other parts/work, you can decide based on your inspection and on what work, and when, was previously done.

7. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
  8. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
  9. Lolwut

Lolwut Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2019
    #9 Lolwut, Apr 22, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Thanks for the input thus far. I pulled it apart this last week. There was a bit of seepage on the throw out bearing but nothing severe. If the bearing was failing, would it be visible at this point?

I guess I have the non hill engineering flange so my thoughts are to replace the triple seals and throwout bearing. Is it worthwhile taking apart the rest of the clutch/flywheel at this point? I have not done a clutch myself in my life....

Please see attached photos (Not even sure if these are even helpful!). Guidance would be appreciated

Attached Files:

10. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    My 348 has the same type of clutch slave/release bearing assembly (cast iron slave cylinder). I established that the OE flange for this slave cylinder is identical to the one by Hill Engineering so it can be retained if in good condition (no major scratches on its "snout"). I therefore bought only the HE slave/bearing assembly - CRB-355MS.

As to the OE cast iron slave, it is easy to get the bearing out of it but the bearing seems unavailable separately (at least, I couldn't find it anywhere). The release bearings sold by Superformance as p/n 34811025 and 34811030 will not fit.

You cannot tell whether your bearing is good or bad just by looking at it. You would need to remove it from the flange, spin it and feel whether it turns smooth or listen to any "hissing" sound that a dry bearing would make. When the slave is removed, you can also inspect the condition of the surfaces of the flange snout.

11. Lolwut

Lolwut Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2019
    Just noticed the seal here is blown when I looked again with more sunlight. I have ordered triple seals and the bearing from Ricambi and will disassemble/update when they arrive.

Thanks for your advice!

Attached Files:

12. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

@Lolwut The order shipped out today, and I expedited it to you'll likely have it on Monday. I figured it would kinda suck to not have your Ferrari in the midst of springtime.

13. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Daniel going over and above yet again. We are all spoiled.

copterjon likes this.
  14. Lolwut

Lolwut Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2019
    Update:

All is well after the new throw out bearing (used the kit from Ricambi - thanks again Daniel). Changed the triple seals while I was in there. Ernie's DIY was very helpful.

Thanks everyone!

15. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    If it hasn't been mentioned, next time you're in there, I would check the condition of the bearing in the pumpkin. It may also need to be replaced.

16. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    What was the parts cost for this and how difficult was it to do?

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    For a stooge, it's $1,000 and a weekend.

Huskymaniac and ernie like this.
  18. Lolwut

Lolwut Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2019
    It was quite straightforward. I would suggest removing the bumper for visibility and general ease. I did bugger up one of the triple seals and redid the seals yesterday (took only 2.5 hrs). I did not remove the bumper this time and found it more of a headache.

Huskymaniac likes this.