Sports Car for a high schooler | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Sports Car for a high schooler

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Ilya, Dec 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    My son turned 18 yesterday, the age in Melbourne when you can get your drivers license. We have a system here where inexperienced drivers are restricted on the cars they can drive based on a power to weight formula.
    The Govt didn't come up with this idea for fun, this came about because it was determined to be ENTIRELY inappropriate for drivers with little or no experience to be driving 500hp 1300kg cars. Any parent who believes otherwise is being naive and irresponsible IMO. Sure there are going to be exceptions, but they are just that, the exception rather than the norm.
    My criteria in selecting a car was simple, modern with airbags, ABS etc, front wheel drive, along with education.
    He wanted a Nissan GTR, 200SX, or at worst a Honda Integra Type R. Instead he received a Honda Integra with a Type R bodykit and upgraded suspension. In addition, despite competitive clubman go kart racing experience, he was also given an advanced driving course and Formula Ford racing camp to increase his chances of survival on the road.

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Another law designed to equate society to the lowest common denominator. I assume a similar law exists for the elderly as well?

Also a parent is not being irresponisible if they know their child. You do not give an idiot a firearm, but if you are 18 and you are responisible, no reason to take the right away from him either.

3. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    I'm 17 too and I haven't scratched any luxury cars yet! Can somebody please purchase the new F430 for me? I promise i'm a very good driver!

4. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    21, never been in a wreck. but, my first car was a 65hp(sounds slow, cause it is, but they handle surprisingly well) mercedes benz diesel, i drove the hell out of that car. And i should of crashed it many times. I think when it comes time for me to buy my future kids a car, ill do what the earlier poster said, get em a nice safe somewhat used luxury car, and if they want to be race car drivers, ill build a race car with em that well take to track events and what not. i was a passenger in a huge WRX wreck my senior year, kids just arnt ment to drive fast cars on public streets. The only exception is if there by themselves(maybe), or with there parents. When peer pressure gets a hold of you, you do stupid crap, no matter how responsible you are.

5. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Omar
    The problem is most 16-21 year olds are idiots (no offence intended), or were you that square as a youth that you don't see this? Why are there a disproportionate number of youths in high performance vehicles killed? Often times, these are passengers, sometimes other motorists and other bystanders.
    Your example of gun ownership is apt. Would you buy your son an AK47 or 12 gauge shotgun as his or her first weapon, or would it be more prudent to start with something a little smaller and after they have gained experience allow them to use higher powered guns?
    Driving a high powered vehicle is not a right. This is not a US constitutional debate on the right to bare arms, this is about the safety of our children and others on the road.
    A parent may believe their child is responsible enough, but how many parents are shocked to find their child has a drug problem or commits a serious felony? It would be foolish to assume as a parent to believe that they are impervious to peer pressure, as an example. It only takes one mistake.

6. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I know and understand that many are indeed idiots, no arguments there at all trust me, but there is no reason to limit those who are not.

The fact remains, most elderly motorists are also very dangerous.

Would you support a bill to have a similar restriction on their driving?

The issue here is limiting some, because of the actions of others, aka equating society to the lowest common denominator...something I am against.

7. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Yes, I would wholeheartedly support a ban on elderly drivers. My mother is a prime example of someone who should not be allowed on the roads.
    The reason for LCD legislation is who can really determine who is a suitable candidate and who is not? We as parents may like to think we know, but I'm not so sure that we are that wise.

8. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    How about a pass for someone who passes a stringent driving test as well as maintains a clean record? This also would encourage safer driving from said parties, if they want to keep their "baby."

Also, if there was such a law, when you became 65 would you really want to give up driving Ferraris? It be hard for me.

9. bottomline

bottomline Formula 3

Mar 10, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bijan
    EVERYTHING in your post could be true, but the fact that you are going to make those claims publicly just shows you as being very naive. I'm gonna have to go on a limb and say that you shouldn't be able to say a 17 year old deserves a fast car (like an sti ;)) unless you actually know them.

Seriously, you might be a GREAT driver, but you don't seem to know what will happen by claiming that on here.

ANYWAYS.... I stay out of these discussions because I know better, that being due to my age. You can talk about how uch more mature you are than other teenagers, or how much more responsible you are than other teenagers. NONE of that will change anyone's opinion. It's way too cliche, these days. You just have to know it for yourself.

10. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Old age is not the deciding criteria, there should be mandatory periodic competence testing.
    As to young drivers, an unblemished driving record along with an advanced driving and vehicle control course would do it for me.

11. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Well we have come to an agreement then. All is merry and eggnog for all! :)

12. bottomline

bottomline Formula 3

Mar 10, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bijan
    I'm not sure if you are implying the test should also imply to younger drivers... the only problem - it has been mentioned here - is not driving skill. There are many young drivers that would pass rigorous driving tests and acts of responsibilty. The problems is with the person themself. Most teenagers I know will speed constantly and have no regard for the danger they put themselves in. Peer pressure isn't always easy; I guess I just got lucky.

I've always been very into finances and terrified of the police due to insurance prices rocketing and tickets fees, etc... That's always instilled some driving responsibilty in me; I think... As well as always being concerned about my parents finances at a VERY young age (my parents always gave me info as to how we were doing and that's made me a much more responsible).

For the others claiming that NO 17 year olds should not drive a fast sport cars, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you're probably bad parents. :D

The only person that should be allowed to make that claim (only about their own child) is the parents.

13. bottomline

bottomline Formula 3

Mar 10, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bijan
    Do you remember how it was when you were a teenager?

I say... it's a judge of character over skill. If your child has obviously been involved in acts of peer pressure.. from drinking/smoking/crime/etc...

DO NOT LET THAT KID DRIVE! It's a HUGE judge of character...

I hate sounding sexist, but girls have a completely different set of rules. They just never seem to pay attention to one thing over character and peer pressure.

14. bottomline

bottomline Formula 3

Mar 10, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bijan
    EXACTLY. It only has to do with peer pressure/showing off.

If there was anything I could really learn and comprehend in this world, it would be how to raise a child properly, or even how my parents raised me that made me the person I am today. I see the relationship w/ parents and their kids, and a certain type of person comes out of that child.

Oh well... w/e

15. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Actually, I do.

So I'd say get him a Triumph GT6 ... in a box (some assembly required). We had more fun with that Triumph -- without even getting it out of the garage. ;)

But start him out right -- RWD!

But then, there's something to be said for an old Plymouth 9-pass wagon. You learn where your corners are. On the other hand, SUV owners don't ever seem to learn that, judging from a look around the parking lot.

16. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Seven.

I just thought it was a pretty intereting circumstance. Take it for what you will

17. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    That is why my "solution" has 2 parts to it. The second part, a clean record, should scare most into compliance. I know if I was a 17 year old with a "hot ride" I sure as hell would NOT want to taken away from me! If the kid gets a speeding ticket? Too bad sorry. Wait until you are old enough.

18. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I do like the GT-6 idea, bit I'll throw in a Porsche 914. Very sharp handling, safe and easy and inexpensive for said driver to learn about maintaining his own car, good club support and SCCA car. And the top even comes off. The big lesson: Good sportscar driving has zero to do with straight line point and squirt speed.

19. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    If you are really concerned about the way your teen is driving.....

"the new RS-1000 Teen On-Board Computer. It’s a little black box you can put in your car and which monitors vehicle speed, use of seatbelts, hard cornering, braking, throttle use, and “erratic driving.” It’s also soon to include a GPS receiver so it can report the car’s location in real time. If any preset conditions (such as speed, seatbelts, etc.) are violated the box emits “an audible warning alert.” If the alert is ignored, a steady alarm tone will sound until the unsafe condition stops. All such unsafe driving is recorded on a driver “scoring report” which can later be downloaded to a PC for review. Because nothing makes a teenage driver more safe and competent than a little box that chirps at them every time it logs a driving error that it’s going to later report to their parents."

Pretty cool if you ask me.

20. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Whoa, I'm glad they didn't have this sort of technology around when I was a kid!! Save the hypocrisy speech, as I tell my son, do as I say, not as I do. :)
    Great idea though.

21. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Agree.

May I ask why you went with Japanese over European? How does the Honda Integra do in crash tests?

What type of karts does he race?

Interesting you should say this. As of now, I have never smoked a cigarette or taken any illegal drugs. I also don't drink. Does this make me an exception to the rule?

22. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    From what I have seen {I'm 23}, yes.

23. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Out of my immediate circle of friends at college (8 people) only 1 does illegal drugs. None smoke. Four drink. So 4 people who are completely clean. Doesn't seem like an "exception".

24. cubbyman60

cubbyman60 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2004
    LA
    It looks like mroe people are coming forward and supporting some of my claimds. I like what you have said aurroptor. And, I will repeat what i said earlier, I am simply making the comment that you cannot overgeneralize. Overgeneralizing and, in turn, stereotyping a group is very dangerous in any situation.

We have seen just as many high speed deadly incidents with exotic cars with adults. Just a few years ago the player for I believe the Charlotte Hornets was killed racing his exotic with his teammate. WHat are you going to say, All basketball players shouldn't be allowed to own high speed cars? Where do you draw the line. And senior citizens not driving, where do you draw the line?

25. Alex_Grim

Alex_Grim Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I'm 16 and have a 1983 Alfa Gtv-6 not quite what most people think of as a "sports car", but anyone that has ever driven one knows it has power. Great car for under $20k. This would be a good idea for the little prep. and it's not a "poser" car.

I have read about the little black box that you speek of Speed Racerette and it's one of the most annoying things I have ever heard of. I don't find it annoying just because I'm 16 and a new driver, but because it is just another one of Big Brother's tricks to monitor us. There are times when some of the things it monitors is necessary.

I think that the driver ed courses should be mandotory for every kid over 15. It may stop some of the things that happens on the roads. My school doesn't have it so I'm going to go to my local track and take one of their racing courses to cut down insurence and I'm going to a go kart school to learn some driving tips. Not every kid that is 16-21 wants to go out and race one of his school friends comming out of the parking lot. I would rather keep it on the track to show real skills.

Sorry it's so long. What did the kid get?