Spoiled Kids Cars | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Spoiled Kids Cars

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by mrcarlosspicey, Nov 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Here is the kicker...

Guy with the Countach ? His name was Frank Ferrari :D

2. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

She is trading up,not down. Each husband she get's is richer than the other. It would be like going from a 308 to a 355 and then a 430.

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Sorry, I meant her husband's were "trading down".

4. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #54 Devilsolsi, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Bazinga!

6. CMartin348

CMartin348 Formula 3

Mar 18, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Casey
    I did high school online so I could work in my dad's business and intern elsewhere, but a lot of my friends had BMW 1 - 3 series and Mazda 3s. My dad and I did some work in a school district on the North Shore of Long Island and the student parking lot was filled with Audi S4s, BMW M3s, Mercedes G55 AMGs, Range Rovers, and other brand new foreign cars. It was kind of depressing to compare the staff lot to the student lot, actually.

My first was a 1996 Camry with 200K miles. Then I purchased (with my own money) a 996, had tons of problems with it, and now I have an '04 Audi A4 (great college car).

But yes, where I was from in Northern Virginia, kids had ridiculously nice cars at a ridiculously early age.

7. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    when I was in HS,the rich kids all had ''trans ams'',1978,,so I bought a 78' Z28 [paper route and lawm mowing and my hand-me-down 72' dodge dart]

8. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    DC skews everything there. If you only looked in that area you would think the country was doing great.

It is like Bentonville, AR. if that were the only city you saw in Arkansas you would say that the area is very wealthy. It isn't.

9. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Lots of exotics at my high school in the 80s. the folks who did well later in life saved up to buy their own junker and learn to change their own oil etc. that includes the filthy rich kids.

Doing well to give our children the better things in life means nice family vacations and opportunities for schools/businesses we didn't have. It doesn't mean giving them pricey objects without learning how to earn them. What a disservice.

I know very few (although there are some... Just a rarity) kids who had things given to them who grew up to understand hard work and understand any empathy. How many high schoolers with expensive cars treat service workers with respect and dignity?

I personally find teens driving their own expensive cars given to them by their parents quite wrong and indicative of something pretty wrong in the family.

10. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Completely agree. Giving your kid a fancy car is about being able to tell your friends you bought your kid a fancy car OR you are a wet noodle and capitulate to your child's crazy demands.

11. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Not sure if you are joking but a Dutch guy with this name sold 100thousands singles all over Europe in the mid seventies Frank Ferrari - Wikipedia
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoASnkE2OhA]Frank Ferrari - Sweet love - YouTube[/ame]

12. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Now that is funny.

13. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

Talk about being motivated!

14. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    So you are saying each one is fatter than the first?

15. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    My parents bought me a Boss 302 Mustang...then promptly gave me the payment coupon book and told me to never miss a payment. Same thing for my wife and her parents with her GTO (which she still owns).

I think we both had great parents. It taught us responsibility at a young age.

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I drove a (then) new 7 series which my dad didn't use (worked from home) most of the time. Did I get comments? Yes. Did I care? No. The people that commented drove a bus to school most of the time. Many of them still do, except instead of school they now go with their many children (with many different fathers/mothers) to do absolutely nothing.

I learned to ignore these ignorant oxygen thiefs quite early in life and am happier because of it. I've had money and been very poor, but I've never resented anyone for having more than I do.

I think my point is that the fools that comment, will always comment regardless of what your kids drive.

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I have four children and bought them all safe-nice cars to drive, BMW 325, MB GLK350, VW Tiquan and MB C300. But, before buying them a car, they each had to learn to ride a motorcycle, drive a manual transmission, take the Skip Barber driving school at Road Atlanta and the Tire Rack Teen Survivor School. I still have them sign up for PCA DE events on occasion and frequently hop in their car and have them drive me somewhere so I can observe their continuing driver skill improvement. They have all become auto enthusiast like me.

18. Bxtech

Bxtech Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    SF Bay Area
  19. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Well done Dad!!!!

20. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    CTS-V? Raptor? BMW?

pffft senior year I drove a mid engined Italian thoroughbred.

Fiat X1/9 baby!
    Cost $400, paid for by me.

Giving your kid a brand new car is fine if you don't care about them learning the value of working to earn something for themselves, the concept of delayed gratification, or an understanding of how cars/machines work and how they need to be maintained.

21. slayerofsouls

slayerofsouls Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2014
    Somewhere
    I had the option of having my dad purchase a Ferrari for me, I turned it down. I also had the option of having him contribute towards my first car purchase, I turned that down.
    To me, the value of working to earn something to achieve a goal was well worth the journey. There are a lot more life lessons that way, and I don’t take the car for granted. I feel it as a validation of my success.

I am proud of it, but it keep it a secret and never talk about it to colleagues or friends. As the first reaction would be, “you’re a spoiled rich kid”