Spoiled Kids Cars | FerrariChat

Spoiled Kids Cars

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by mrcarlosspicey, Nov 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
    Just wondering what kind of ridiculously expensive cars you see at high schools these days.

I'm a freshman and at my high school we have:

CTS-V coupe (senior)

3 Raptors (soft more and 2 seniors)

E39 M5 (softmore)

I wonder what the thought process is of the people who purchased the cars for them...

2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    IMHO giving a CTS V to a High schooler is like giving a loaded weapon to a minor........too much car....not enough experience I'm guessing..with 556 HP on tap it's very easy to get into trouble very quickly

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hi Parker…You got some big money in Omaha! Maybe Warren Buffett is buying high end cars for kids in the Omaha area?!? Seriously though, I drive past our local high school quite regularly, here in Dallas area, and see only cars appropriate (IMO) for teenagers: beaters. Our area of Dallas is, however, not the swankiest, so I suspect it'll be diff in more affluent parts of our city.

I suspect the thought process goes like this - parents generally like to give their kids things they want. Kids want cars when they get into HS. Parents give cars commensurate to what they can afford.

So, more importantly, what kind of car do you drive? What's the future car you have your eye on?…T

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Parker,
    Homework... First thought you were trying to be funny, but in case not: learn how to spell and pronounce SOPHMORE before you are one.

5. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    What part of Dallas?
    I have seen high schoolers with e92 M3, raptors, MB, Audi, BMW, and of course a bunch of nice SUVs from Lexus, BMW, and Range Rover. The guys with the German coupes/sedans are not very nice to their cars either(at least to the engine). Also mustangs and camaros are common.

There was a girl who had a Lamborghini Superleggera a few years ago.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    There have been "ridiculously expensive cars" in high school student parking lots almost since the beginning.

7. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    Problem is that you are wrong too. Sophomore is correct :)

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hey Duke…Poverty row, apparently! :) I'm up at the north end of Metroplex, so not close to tonier neighborhoods like Highland Park, Plano, Flower Mound, Southlake, etc.

Man, I don't know what trouble I would have gotten into w/ a Lambo in HS. Of course, since I lived in Brooklyn and my dad was a manual laborer, that topic never came up at Xmas time…T

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    This could be a generation gap/regional thing? I grew up in Brooklyn (well after the invention of the internal combustion engine) :) Not one of my friends owned a car - neither Ferrari, POS nor anything in between. Just didn't need them in NYC, and the diff neighborhoods we grew up in were not swanky by any stretch of the imagination. When I went to college, I was one of only 2 students who did not drive; the other non-driver was, you guessed it, from NYC...T

10. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Lol. I didn't want to sat anything.

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Did you do "sat" on purpose?!? :)
    T

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Ya, major urban centers don't count when it comes to automobile ownership/driving. ;)

13. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
  14. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    My senior year at a prep school, I rocked my uber sweet 1992 Saab 900S (yup, not even a Turbo :(

One of my friends had a pact with her father though; all A's senior year, and she could have a brand new Murcielago (2004). I'm going to throw out this stereotype, because yes, she was Asian (it's cool though, my brother is adopted from S Korea, he doesn't mind) so she should've breezed through, right? Nope, she got lazy early in the third tri-mester, fumbled to graduation with a B- in Philosophy...

15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I did, but too late on the draw...

Also risked making the thread even more sophomoric.

16. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I agree. In fact a guy on thelincolnforum.net lost his son when he crashed a CTS (V?) after school.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/nyregion/11crash.html?_r=0

17. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    HA!

Damn phones and autocorrect!!!:D

18. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Yep. 5 people died in a parent's m5- going off the end of a runway at 180mph.

FHP: Alcohol likely involved in crash that killed 5 young men | Ocala.com

19. P Zero

P Zero Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2006
  20. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If I remember correctly, some months before this happened 2 kids were killed (literally into pieces) in New York in a 335. I remember there was almost nothing left of the car and the dash gauge pod was still sitting in the grass with the speedo needle still pegged.

21. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    My son started driving a go kart at 4 so I have no qualms about giving him a future Raptor when he is 17

22. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I felt spoiled when my patents for me a new build 2004 MINI ONE for my 21st birthday. The idea was to see me through my university years with a nice reliable car, which worked out petty well.

90bhp and handles great. It's a very fun car to drive on the back roads over here in the UK. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

23. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I think a hot Mustang or Camaro will always be the spoiled kids car, or the one their absentee dad buys them out of guilt.

But back when I was in HS an Iroc-Z or 5.0 only had a bit over 200 hp. Today a Shelby or ZL1 put out about 3X that. I think every year of the four in HS for me some kid wrapped their fast car around a pole or otherwise removed themselves from the gene pool. Maybe with the driver aids today it is not as bad even with huge hp.

24. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    I went to a high school in DFW, and corvettes were a very common occurrence in the parking lot. We always had 3 to 4 a day.
    I am now a college sophomore, and the new things are little Porsches, M6, and the vette population has quadrupled. The hooning of the cars is nothing like high school though. The guys respect them enough to take them off campus, and the other hand is daddy's girls yakking on cell phones in their 911's an boxsters.

25. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I grew up in south Florida in the 80s and I remember a countach, a rolls, a couple 911s, a 928 and lots of vettes, camaros, mustangs.