Spirited Spring Drives in Michigan | FerrariChat

Spirited Spring Drives in Michigan

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by Jerrari, Mar 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    As the new Michigan director of the FOC Midwest (great title huh?!), I am going to be organizing a West side drive and an East side drive on 2 different Saturdays in May. I will need some help in a route for the East side drive as I am not that familiar w/ the roads there (St. Claire Shores area?), but for the West side drive I am thinking Grand Haven to Saugatuck and back. Please let me know how many of you will be joining us. Thanks, Jerry.

2. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Not coming but very cool that you're the director :)

3. leblanc727

leblanc727 Rookie

Jan 18, 2006
    Jerry,

I have been watching this forum to see when there will be upcoming drives in MI. I just purchased a F430 Spider and have been waiting for the weather to warm up. I can't wait to start driving the Ferrari! I am very interested in hearing more details on both trips and their dates as you have more info. Thanks for setting something up.

4. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    unfortunately, i dont own a ferrari... but i do photographs. i'd love to come around if only to do that. I am very interested in both :)

i know the st-clair shores area quite well, and the west side fair enough as well. in my opinion, some of the nicest winding roads 'close' to the east side are on the west side of Ann Arbor, through Dexter, then also up near the Huron River. of course, Jefferson isn't such a bad drive either as far as being on the water for a few miles (lake-side drive is what we used to call it). last i remember, once you get further north in the st. clair shores area, the roads start degrading quite a bit... i want to say by 10 mile.... but i haven't been in that area since 2002.

anyway, i know it would be unusual follow in a Jeep... or to somehow get to ride tag along with somebody. none the less, you can bet everyone would have a few nice pictures of their cars in motion, parked in picturesque areas.

anyway, i have a new site; i'm in the process of updating right now. sections that have content are 'events' 'dealers' and 'photoshoots'
    http://nthimage.energywise-group.com/Photo_sections.htm

cheers
    ~Isaac

5. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Isaac is right. Before moving to Georgia I lived in the area he describes. Plus, you can make a photo atop in Hell (the town, of course). If I still lived there I'd be glad to help plan a route.

6. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    Congrats, great car. Are you on the East or West side of the state? I will plug Jery's other event for him, "Wings and Wheels" held as a display event at the Muskegon Air Fair. Everyone who went last year had a great time and I think it will be even better this year. I think Jerry keeps the info on the Chicago section because there is more action over there. hope to see you around this driving season.

7. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    Jerry, Maybe you should start a Wings and Wheels thread here, make it a Sticky and have it link to the info on the Chicago Section.

8. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Just my perception...which could be way off base. But it seems that there is very little activity for Ferraris in Michigan....don't know why. For a few years there was a great.....I mean terrific.....gathering of exotics at Gingerman Raceway in South Haven. But I don't see anything scheduled for this year. That was the ONE thing I looked forward to every year. A really great couple (Rich and Sue) in Richland were having a carshow in K'zoo called "Italian-Plus" and although small it was a very nice show. I think I heard that there are in excess of 500 Ferraris registered in Michigan....you'd think we'd see more of them? I'm going to try and make it to Jerry's show in Muskegon. If I can't make it in the show I'll still show up as a spectator...and I'll try and drive the TR too.

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Jeff, (Carguy) Well, you should start seeing that change for the better. Now that Jerry is "On the case"....:) Jerry is a great guy. And, you really must check out the Muskegon Airshow- "Wings and Wheels Show" that he has organized. Absolutely fanstastic!

That is why we re-kindled the Ferrari Owners Club - Midwest Region. The FOC's Motto is: We Drive! And we had a small group of us here in the Chicago Area that were getting together to do Drives and stuff. Then, saw that the FOC-Midwest Region had fallen dormant for years. So we decided to get it back up and running.

Then, we met great guys like Jerry and Mike Oldani in Michigan. And more recently, HuskerBill up in Wisconsin. We are All gathered together here in the Midwest. Our driving time is limited. Winter Weather, Rainy weekends. Family and Job obligations. And, as I mentioned in another thread. This isn't Southern California. There aren't a million Ferrari's running around and warm, sunny Weather year 'round. So we need to make the most if it. We need to band together as often as we can. But also, you guys in your closer areas really need the opportuniies to get together whenever you can.

So, whatever you can do to help round up all of the Ferrari owners and Enthusiasts in Michigan would be great. Besides Jerry's "Wings and Wheels" show. I would like to do a drive, starting out in Chicago, going through Michigan to Frankenmuth for Oktoberfest. (Definitely would have to be an overnighter-probably, a weekender....:) ) It would be great if anyone from Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Iowa wanted to join up with us here. Then, any Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, folks would want to drive up and join in along the way. I know that the 'Vette guys from here and pretty much all over the Country drive down to Bowling Green to the Corvette Plant. Same goes for anyone driving down to Indy. We have some folks from here that are going down to Indy for the F1 Race this year, too, if anyone wants to join in along the way down.

And I have mentioned to some of the Wisconsin guys about doing a "Drive around the Lake". My Grand Parents used to always do that. There is a dedicated Route around Lake Michigan. (My Grand Father is originally from Wakefield, UP,MI. And I have old relatives scattered around the whole Midwest-Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin.) But, we could start out here, in Chicago, and drive up through Wisconsin. (I have an old Buddy who owns a Resort up in Eagle River where maybe we can spend the night.) Then through the UP, over into Michigan, and back down. If you guys wanted to, you could drive over here to Chicago. Where we would start. And the Wisconsin guys could join in along the way. Then, after we are in Michigan, you guys could "peel off" where ever you had to.

And, possibly, in the future. I was thinking that we could make this into a Rally of some sort. But will have to see after taking the Drive at least once.

So, we'd really like to join up with you guys whenever we can. And encourage you to get together as often as you can, too. And anyone else in the Midwest who can make it.

10. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    Jerry,
    FYI, I may join the East side drive depending on dates.

(isn't that what you asked when you started this thread?)

11. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Yes, I was thinking of the 6th of May for the East side and the 13th for the West side drive. We could meet at around 10:00 a.m. and grab a coffee somewhere, drive off at 10:30, have lunch somewhere around 1:00 and then go our separate ways. Please let me know how many of you would like to join in.

12. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    Jerry, as long as I am in town that weekend I would go on the West Side drive.

13. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    i'm quite glad to hear all this... i was sure that Michigan must be on an upswing lately; as Ferraris, Lambo's and other 'high end' sporting cars have been making more regular appearances... when i speak with some owners, they've been looking to have an excuse to get together and drive... besides the usual Italian Happening, and Concorso Italiano at medowbrook.
    I would love to be a part of this somehow... even though i have no F car in my forseable future.

about your ideas for a 'round lake michigan' rally... it sounds GREAT
    ...places to be sure to drive up through copper harbor (kewanaw penisnula), and of course through the porcupine mountains.... that is some of michigans greatest driving IMHO... simply beautiful... anybody who attended Michigan Tech, or had friends who did... its simply amazing up there. the further east you drive in the UP, the flatter/more boaring it gets, unless you head for the southern shores. virtually all the roads are in great condition as the the volume of heavy loads is much less then in suburbia here.

of course, on the way down there is one particularly exciting road between US 31, and 66, across 2 over to 'old state road'
    anyway, i think its something like that... perhaps out of the way, but a whole lot of fun... besides, Charlevoix is a nice little town on both the inland, and big lake.

14. leblanc727

leblanc727 Rookie

Jan 18, 2006
    Jerry, my 430 and I live on the East side and we would love to join your East side drive. I will keep May 6th open as best I can for this drive.

Looking forward to details.

15. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    May 6th works for me.

16. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Jerry,
    we have a small group of Ferrari owners on the east side of MI from about Ann Arbor to Grosse Pointe. We are mostly FCA memebers, but would welcome combining drives and events. We are in the early stages of planning the coming season so if that interests you send me a note.

George

17. s2000brian

s2000brian Karting

Apr 20, 2004
    Cincinnati/Douglas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I have a summer home in Saugatuck and I actually organized a large 3 day S2000 event up there. Let me know if you need any help organizing, planning, or finding good roads.

I'm going to be in Europe for two months starting May 5, so I won't be able to attend, but I would be more than happy to help in any way.

18. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    George, let me know the date of your drive, I would love to join in!

Brian, thanks for the offer. I would be interested in knowing some great routes, and "can't miss" attractions. We will probably end up at and have lunch at the Blue Moon.

Everyone else,
    Wow! This is the most posts I've seen in a thread in this section in a long time. It looks like this is something a lot of people have been waiting for. Let's make this the first in a series of great drives as we have one of the most picturesque states in the union!!

19. s2000brian

s2000brian Karting

Apr 20, 2004
    Cincinnati/Douglas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    What kind of roads are you looking for? Curvy, wooded roads, scenic, rural roads, or even more scenic (although more populated) lakeside roads?

Oh, and excellent call on Blue Moon. It is one of my favorite hangouts up there, despite the fact that my ex-girlfriend works there :D

20. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Jerry, i'm going to be speaking with several Ferrari owners a week from saturday... shall i just point them to this thread? or do you have a preferred means of contact?
    I love Michigan! really, one of few places i can even imagine living (the other is the southern of Germany, and virtually anywhere in Austria :) ;)

cheers

21. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Point them to this thread or give them my e-mail ([email protected]), either way is fine :). BTW, I was in Vienna in '03 and loved it!! The people were very friendly and the country was stunning.

22. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
  23. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Let's take baby steps here. We'll see how this drive goes and then plan another if all goes well.

24. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I'd be in for going on a drive on the 6th provided, of course, that the weather's acceptable. My car will sink if it rains. :|

25. stevehuck

stevehuck Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Sterling Hgts, Mi
    Full Name:
    Steven Huck
    East side cruise could start in gross point area going up jefferson. Then blast up 696 to the world famous Woodward. Take woodward north into pontiac then veer off to waterford and see if you could get some time in on the track.

http://www.waterfordhills.com/

Man i wish i could go!!