Speedster Replica | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Speedster Replica

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Michael B, Oct 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Curious question here, what do you register the car as?

2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I ended up doing a lot of small things to it. I upgraded the suspension with a camber compensator, and a large front anti sway bar. I also adjusted the alignment to suit me. I thought of upgrades on the 1915 engine but it was really plenty. My oldest Son says it was his favorite car that I had brought home on a whim ~ as it was just so simple & carefree. You never had to worry about parking it, or picking up a rock chip. It was a great experience. However it was really a four wheel motorcycle. I finished up my short wheel base 1967 912 and sold the "speedy" to a Canada gent who gave it to his daughter. Again it was a great experience. Do be sure to get a production version. Vintage Speedsters (the company that made mine) make nice play toys.

Hey Meat. This one was still the 1968 VW Bug tub/pan so it carried the original 1968 VW title. That did cause issue for the buyer when he presented that title to the Canadian authorities - who were perplexed why this VW did not look at all like a Bug.

3. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #28 Michael B, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    By the way... My Son ended up buying a rat bug on bags after our time in the speedy. Obviously it is essentially the same car and he wanted some of that for himself. Good for him.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
  5. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
  6. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Can you provide details. I was looking at a car there too. PM if you'd like. Thanks, Tom

7. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Bad rep. There have been a number of threads about them in the MO section. I would not rule out a car from them, but would certainly do due diligence.

8. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Michael, that was a great looking speedster.... Love the bug too.

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

What engine is in it now?

10. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The beck sold, so its gone, but thank you for the heads up on the dealer. With a beck, I guess there is good chance to get it inspected by the builders.
    There is one near me at a ferrari dealer of all places, I may go take a look just to see if i fit in it. 6'1.5. Not my color choice, but would like to see it in person.

11. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs

I've been watching 550 Beck prices for about a year....that was a GREAT price with that motor and accessories.

Would that it is titled as a 63 Porsche be a problem to insure/register?? How can it be titled as a Porsche though?

12. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Im not sure on the title, Ill check with ferrari dealer and see what the title on the 550 replica is they have. I was searching around and found a bespoke replica maker of 356 and 550 models that are spectacular. check out Seduction Motorsports

13. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The Beck 550's look great in person. How great they look up close depends a lot on the use of correct vintage gauges to me. I drove a friend's Beck, and although that particular car wasn't in the best mechanical tune/shape at the time, it was still a blast to drive.

Mini Rant: I hate when threads like this are moved to General Automative.

14. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I know, why move it? Anyway, if you have a few min take a look at the seduction motorsports facebook page photos and the detail and craftsmanship is pretty awesome for a hand built small numbers car. The subaru and VW engines they make are beautiful. I think im going to find a time to fly out and take a look in AZ.
    Nd

15. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    just posted my 56 in the classifieds

16. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I just ordered a 356 Speedster from Vintage Speedsters in California. The car looks incredible. I've shown their work to bonafide Porsche enthusiasts who didn't know it was a replica until I told them. As the OP stated I'm buying it not only because it is beautiful but because I don't have to worry about where I park it or drive it. It's just a fun car with classic looks. Can't wait to get it next month. I'll post some photos when it arrives. As far as titling goes its registered as a VW the year depends on the chassis Vin number.

17. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Please share your build experience, Im planning my car for next year. Ive narrowed down the builders im looking at, but really would like your opinion and see your build. Love to see some photos as well. Good luck!

18. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    The best on the market is intermeccanica they are pricey though.

19. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Paul, as soon as it arrives (in beginning of April) I'll post photos and give impressions. I'm really looking forward to getting it.

20. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #45 Bullfighter, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    You actually have exactly the same safety concerns on the freeway that real Porsche 356 drivers have. You are the crumple zone, especially in plastic, so be careful out there. I put about 1,000 miles a year on my '56, but very little Interstate driving. It is very hard for other drivers to see those small/low lights.

Parking is very easy - the car's narrow and most restaurant parking where I live is sized for SUVs. Not an issue at all.

Not sure you'll fool a bonafide Porsche enthusiast, but general onlookers are easier. Without fail, the first question I get when I park or fill the tank is "Is it a real one?"

21. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Get well soon.

22. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I actually bought a red vintage speedster a few years ago to put our company logo on, and park it out in front of our store locations. People love it and are always pulling up to take their picture in front of it, etc.

It's a fairly well-built little car. There's nothing high-performance about it whatsoever - it's just a cruiser to bring attention to our stores.

23. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #48 ndpendant, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently purchased a 57 356 speedster. Im waiting for the transporter to bring it from the east coast but getting really excited. Its a 220hp Type I 2330cc motor in a 1300 lb car. 0-60 in around 4secs. 2x4 aluminum chassis, Fuchs wheels, clean interior, what I was looking for. Cant wait for it to arrive!

24. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Congratulations -- love the outlaw look

25. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Beautiful. That car is going to be a lot of fun!