speedometer sender part no 116987 | FerrariChat

speedometer sender part no 116987

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by pv908, Mar 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pv908

pv908 Karting

Oct 11, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Paul V
    Hi, mine is not working, it started to fail intermittently, and has now died.

Speedo and odometer not working, tachometer is fine.

It appears impossible to get a new one after ringing around.

Has anyone tried to repair it? If it failed intermittently, could something basic be done? And if so, is it possible to test without placing it back on the car?

Thank you for reading, Paul

If anyone has one in stock reading this. please PM me. My car is in MPH.

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Ferrari oem dealers will supply !

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may ask eurospares in UK
    they offer for about 120 GBP

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I belive they are NLA.

The later part that was easily adapted to that application, the 355 sender is NLA as well.

Several threads about that and efforts to repair or reproduce in the 308 forum.

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I think it may be not such a big problem to make new ones?
    only a coil and you can usde the old housing again.

next week I will be at home again after 8 weeks vacation in thailand and have a look at mine. also meassure the resistance and will let you know what I found out.

6. arcticlighting

arcticlighting Karting

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian Chapman
    Try Carlo at Alpha of Tacoma, he was able to get me one for my car as well.

This was a few months ago. I tried some others and know avail, but somehow he knows who to call. 253-572-2532.

I downloaded an app before I fixed mine that gave me my speed. Was close enough not to get tickets.

Good luck.

7. pv908

pv908 Karting

Oct 11, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Paul V
    Thanks to all for your support. I will call in the morning.

Eurospares are out. They say Ferrari is NLA. A bit sad considering how many models use this part.

8. philvecc

philvecc Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Philip Vecchiarelli
    I ordered one from Eurospares last week. Their website says the F- P/N not in stock, but they have a replacement number 393650106. They acknowledged the order and it said "special order", and it should be available in 7-10 days.
    Guess I'd better follow up. Will keep you posted.

9. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
  10. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    FWIW, I bought a brand new yellowbox 116987 last May from AWItalian.com... and they're still listed on their website for the same price today. I don't know if they're still available there, but good luck in your search.

11. philvecc

philvecc Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Philip Vecchiarelli
    Here's an update on my order to Eurospares for PN 116987 speed sensor:
    They emailed that the PN 116987 is NLA, as is the replacement PN 393650106. They contacted Ferrari and they recommended replacement PN 149095, which only requires removing the connector supplied with it and using the existing one on the car.
    Hope this helps. P.S. price from Eurospares for the new number is 138.18 pounds plus 44.65 shipping. I've ordered it and will keep you posted on interchangeability.

12. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Are you 100% certain it is the speedometer? Have you tried to verified that you are getting a signal to the unit? I know I had an issue last year where the steering knuckle under the dash caught the wire harness and pulled the wiring out of the plug. I repaired it and it works fine. Intermittent failure can be a loose wire. Just thought I'd mention it before you go through all of the expense and effort to find a new one.

I'm sorry but I don't have time today to go through the workshop manual to give you more direction on how to check it but I'd bet some of the others on here can give you a complete detailed response.

13. philvecc

philvecc Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Philip Vecchiarelli
    Received the replacement speed sensor part number 140905 (see post#12 ). Looks exactly like original except for the connector. I expect to be putting the interior leather parts back in later this week, and getting the wheels reconditioned next week, so should be looking at doing the sensor swap in two weeks.

14. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Alhbln did a beautiful right up and technical summary!

My GT4 speedo sensor stopped working - I forgot how I decided to attack the sender and not the speedo.

I carefully disassembled the sender and discovered that 1.5 nanofarad cap (Geez that's tiny) had popped. I think I found an identical part in an old box of solid state radio parts, soldered it in, carefully reassembled and sealed it back up, and all is good. This was circa 1987, and it's still working.

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you can get 149095 it works fine. I have used many of them.

16. philvecc

philvecc Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Philip Vecchiarelli
    Finally got all of the interior parts back from leather reconditioning and they look great. Reassembled and then up on the lift to replace the speed sensor. The replacement part 149095 works great and learned something in the process. The connector had to be changed for the new sensor, and in doing it noticed that the old connector had poor contact and was loose. So the problem was actually the connector. Put the new one on, so I now have a spare. Thanks for all the input.