Speedometer at "00,000" for the third time! | FerrariChat

Speedometer at "00,000" for the third time!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bob Zambelli, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    My GTC today - the speedometer turned 200,000 miles.
    It's amazing how much pure enjoyment and excitement this wonderful car has given me since I bought it in November of 1975.
    I wonder how many Ferraris are out there with more than 200,000 miles.

Bob Z. Image Unavailable, Please Login

chris1866, SaifC, Harry-SZ and 29 others like this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Congrats! That's inspirational. Wishing you many more zeroes!
    T

3. Pmo75

Pmo75 Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    Congratulations !!!

4. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Absolutely wonderful. Now say that to those who buy a new Ferrari and park it thinking putting mileage on the car will diminish it's value .

Nembo1777 and turbo-joe like this.
  5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I think the only Fin the world with more than 200000 miles. so you may get a trophy from ferrari for this ;) and WOW: this are more than 320000 km. my daily driver, a VW passat turbo diesel has now 367000 km

6. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Spectacular!

I’ve actually often wondered if more cars than one might think have “gone around the clock”...

Having looked at a lot of 40k-60k-mile “drivers” over the years, and comparing their condition to my own (documented) 50k-ish 308, a lot sure looked like they were more likely to be 140k-160k-mile...:)

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Congratulations Bob ! Truly great to see vintage cars enjoyed as cars. :cool:

I’ve mentioned before that I driven 3-4 hundred thousand miles with all I’ve ever owned, but that’s between dozens of cars and I‘ve only managed to rack up close to 100K/each on couple of them.
    In past 30 years my ‘32 Plymouth has rolled its odometer through full set of zeros few times, but it only reads four digits. :D

8. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    Now restore it to concours-condition and pretend it's the lowest mileage GTC in existence :) "Odometer believed to be original"

9. trpdds

trpdds Rookie

Apr 16, 2011
    Alamo,CA
    Full Name:
    Timothy Reid Pearson
    Congratulations Bob!!!
    Hope your next 200,000 miles are as inspirational as your first.
    Tim Pearson GTC #8329

donv likes this.
  10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Perhaps a lot more than most realize, especially here in the U.S. where many buyers/owners seem to be fixated on those "low mileage" unicorns, prancing or not.
    If one knows what to look for and where, all cars have tons of small details & tell-tales one can use to determine whether reported mileage is likely to be anywhere near accurate.

Here's a couple of shots from a 365 GTB/4 with claimed/reportedly "way over 100 thousand miles"(?) and if you're sitting, here come's the shocker:
    When I took these (years ago), the car had just been through 5+ years and truckloads of $$'s worth of "complete restoration" and all I was (initially) asked/expected to do was "final sorting". o_O

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Congrats Bob.
    you certainly have enjoyed the car and proof that the gtc is a great driver.

12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Best post on fchat for all of 2020. Congrats.

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Congratulations, Bob! That is great.

14. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Hello All and thanks for all the terrific replies!
    Some more information.
    I rebuilt the engine at just under 170,000 miles as I recall.
    From then (December, 2012), I've performed the following:
    At 175,000 miles, I rebuilt the original suspension, installed new mufflers on my own design exhaust system, installed an indicator LED as an oil pressure warning light, installed Hayden radiator cooling fans, a MEGA alarm system and installed a Blaupunct Toronto stereo system. I also changed to Red Line transmission fluid - The ABSOLUTE best thing I've ever done to the transaxle. And, I sent the shocks to a Koni facility for a major rebuild.
    At 185,000 miles, I acquired a set of Campagnolo alloy wheels, restored them and installed my Uniroyal tires. I then sent my Borranis to Brightworks in Piqua, Ohio for major restoration - they were the original wheels that came with the car. You can see the details in my recent post - "Borrani Furniture".

Regarding the engine: the only thing I've done since the rebuild was to clean the plugs once, change them once (NGK BP5-ES) and a few oil changes.(Castrol 20W50 and NAPA gold oil filter) and an alternator drive belt.

In the near future, I will install a cruise control system and remotely actuated door locks.

NOTE TO ALL VINTAGE Ferrari owners: Drive your cars - the more you do so, the less work your vehicles will need.
    Hoping you enjoy your cars cars much as I do,

Bob Z.

15. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

That’s amazing, my GTC has 35k original miles. Currently in the shop having some interior work done as well as an engine rebuild.