Speeders Beware | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Speeders Beware

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Ferrari Fanatic, Dec 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    You're just jealous.

2. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon

3. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I've ridden that road quite a bit. Started in the early 70s, when a couple of the sidecar guys lived down there and told me about the road. 1st ride was with a guy on a Yosh 900, Briggs (Briggs & Stratton). I had a pretty tricked out Honda 750, and thought I could stay with him. By the time we got to Santa Cruz, we'd seen over 150 too many times to count, I'd been on the wrong side of too many blind corners, and decided that if I wanted to stay alive, I'd stay away from those loonies. I rode it one more time, and ended up doing the same thing all over again, didn't go back (on the bike that is) because I knew that sooner or later, another car would show up on one of the those corners. Interestingly enough, nobody of that group ever got hurt doing that loony ****. They rode consistently that quickly, but somehow the always seem to get away with it. Funny thing though, while they were good sidecar guys, on two wheels, on the racetrack, they just were very quick, but boy on the street, nobody could catch them.

Art

4. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

It is interesting that, since I began regularly going to the track, I drive MUCH more sedately on the street. On an open highway, I will drive with probably the fastest 10% of traffic, depending on traffic density, sight lines, etc. But on the street, I typically drive at or at most 5 mph above the posted limit (I know, I know, that may be "actionable"). Tracking both the 550 & the M3 probably a total of a dozen+ times a year has really reduced my need for speed when not on the track.

And, IMO, this is a good thing! :D

5. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Thanks for the kind words Dan. I wouldn't say I'm a great, or even very good driver 'skill' wise.

The key is to drive within the bounds of Car, Driver, and Conditions. For instance, I rarely speed in my truck, even though it has a huge engine and can go over 100mph with ease. I do at most 75 in that thing, and only on flat roads with little traffic.

6. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    When I was racing, nobody in their right mind would drive with me after the race. I was so wound up, that the speed on the highway seemed sooo slow, that I was to scary to watch (Ask Doug Daniels about that). Point was that during the race, got so wound up, driving at normal speeds appeared to be in slow motion.

Track days were something different. The difference between track days, and actually racing was huge. Track days were like playing in the sand box, vs. actually competing, at least for me. I still think about racing, but track days are track days, and frankly, I've got little urge to do them, since it's foo foo. Did get 5th in my series with the cart, even with the broken ribs, though. Old man's class appears to be made up of old Motorcycle racers, though.

Art

7. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Well...even after the times I have raced, and done very well, I have not had the urge to speed absurdly on the way home.

Oh, well, diff'rent strokes. (don't get aroused & start talking about peeing in my butt, Faisal Spicy Butt).

8. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Ben Can I quote you.
    Some might say I am taking this out of context, but since you need to "brag" how fast you drive then why don't you do some serious looking into all of your driving. You say safety takes first, last and always in your book, yet you say you drive over 100 all the time like you are above the law and the SAFETY of others that the law PROVIDES for. Why not take a step back and look at how safe you really are. You are quoted as saying your are dangerous and yes we are talking about in a go-kart, 300lbs. What about a 2ton BMW? So, where is the safety involved?
    OK, so I am taking this out of context again, but since you have agreed to being slow and inexperienced, who are you to tell me that you know how to drive fast safely. Yes, I am being arrogant, why, cause
    So, other then you and others thinking I am fast, I am not one to say I am. I drive safe and sometimes I speed on the roadways. But, unlike you I do not "brag" about driving safe in one post and then brag about how fast I drive in another. I have always said when I have been over 100 it has been " on a empty highway".
    FWIW- I have never been formally trained in a kart.

BTW_nothing personal, but you picked me apart, hows it feel? And OU is getting the **** kicked out of them, and I feel like **** right now.

:D

9. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Let me pee in your butt and make it all better. :p

Nothing personal on this side either.

10. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    you need help.

11. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Damn, you guys are cracking me up! Where's the love in 05?

12. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    It is shown by peeing in someone elses butt, but (pun or not) since I only take regular showers and not GOLDEN ones, I just make fun of history.
    :D________:D :D:D:D:D:D
    :D :D __:D_:D :D
    :D___:D___:D :D:D:D
    :D________:D :D
    :D________:D :D:D:D:D:D
    (just in case you forgot who I care about in life)

13. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Self-banned at 1,999? Cmon buddy boy. At least do the 2k.

--Dan

BTW, turning off FC for a few weeks is healthy. I went 6 mo.

14. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    I am off to India in a couple of hours. I will bring you back some sweet love...as long as you agree to a butt-pee!

15. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

I guess there will be no love for me in 05', oh well.

have a safe trip!

16. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam

Radar guns read in triple digits. They also see forwards and backwards. So if you go around a corner and see his trunk lid, he's got you. If you see your radar warning going off, he already has you. The exception is when you are going up and down hills in traffic. Then it's hard to tell who is doing the speeding until you flash passed him at the speed limit in your Fcar, then he knows. (GRIN)

Also, it's typical in Nevada for one cop to follow the other by about 1/2 mile. If the first one doesn't get you, he pulls off and after you nail it, the second guy gets you. I almost got nailed this way a couple of times. Thank God for that one brain cell that started ricocheting around the inside of my skull.

I think the CHP will adopt this tactic for use on I-5 on light traffic days. Also, CHP offices typically do not cross county lines. One exception is South Lake Tahoe. The Alpine County highways are covered by the South Lake CHP. So If you see a CHP officer, then when you go across the county line, you can start your search for another officer. But if they can claim "Hot Pursuit," then they will come across a county line to "Light you up," and use their, "Pinch Book."

Speeds over one hundred MPH is considered to be reckless driving. That is defined as the wanton disregard for life and limb. They can inpound your car for that, just like they do when you get caught for DUI.

Typically, the CHP officers I know like to drive very fast too. Off the job they're pretty fun loving guys too. Their current black and whites will do just under a buck thirty, but you cannot out run the radio. The white cameros will do about a buck sixty.

Drive safe and take care - Bob Wassam

17. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    In some circumstances, with quick thinking, you can definitely outrun the radio...;)

18. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    RU posting from India?

I am sure most CHPs are fun loving guys when it comes to social gathering (they are just regular people). And, some of them, once they figure you are not drunk and not armed while writing you the ticket become nice guys even though they just wrote you up (I accept...that's their job). And really some of them will even give you the thumbs up, I've gotten a few around 92/35 in my car passing them by (not flying by). But there are some who plainly are nutcases and think they have a god given right to come down on you hard.

I have been chased by a motorcycle cop who claimed was doing over 140 MPH and was pretty shaken up since he could not catch up (I almost told him he should put in request for a faster vehicle, hehehe...). On the way to Monterey weekend (CI) when I merged into 101s from 280s I saw a chp in crown vic with flashing lights hauling a$$ on the ramp behind me, I slowed down for him to catch up. He was a nice guy. After a short dialog, he asked me to be careful and let me off without a ticket or warning. That same day coming down Santa Cruz Mountain I received an 87 in 50 MPH and the chp didn't say anything more than why he stopped me and requested my drivers license, absolutely nothing else! It was like he knew I know the drill...

19. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Hey those are the guys that I know!!

agreed. Its like treating a customer bad, do it once and 10 people hear about it, or whatever the saying is.

20. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Yup, in India!!!! CHP hassles seem like a distant memory now.
    Some interesting stuff on the journey over. When we came down below the clouds in I saw two black 360s passing a truck on some highway near the airport. I don't know how fast they were going but they truck looked like it was crawling and they passed it like it was standing still (and I am sure the truck was going at a decent speed). They were following a Mercedes that was pulling away!

At the airport they had some new BMWs on display. Hideous.

Delhi traffic has no rules. If it's bigger, you move out of the way. Otherwise, they move for you (hopefully). I am going to borrow an SUV today. My dad's little econobox ain't gonna cut it...!

Lufthansa sucks, by the way.

21. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    This is one of the most entertaining posts for the N Cali section. :D

22. 10boom

10boom Karting

Jan 5, 2005
    WA
    I do know that I was getting on 101 North a few weeks ago where Ferrari of SF is and I was getting on the M3 pretty hard. A silver 512 TR pretty much blew my doors off before I could get all the way over in the left lane. This gave me that tingly feeling in my spine that only us car nuts get, so i dropped a gear and proceeded to try and catch the 512. A mile later, and to my dismay a crown vic with lights blaring pulled me over. He was very nice, but when I asked him how he pulled me over so quickly, he said "I was chasing that damn Ferrari, but then I saw you". Nice Guy, he let me go with a warning.

23. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    So my friend picks up his new MB SL 500 and jumps on 280. He is doing about a buck ten at 2800 RPM when low and behold, he sees a red light in the distance. The light bar is really high in the air (much higher than a CHP Cruiser) so he keeps going at the same speed. He gets all the way to 101 and notices that the red light is on a minivan. He stares at the light for a while and decides to pull one lane over. Sure enough the minivan pulls one lane over. He decides to pull all the way to the shoulder and the minivan falls in behind him.

The "Cop" gets out and it is the Campus Police! My friend ends up getting a ticket from the Campus Police in a minivan. What a dumba$$. This **** is really out of control.

24. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Campus police is a state agency, meaning, they have juristiction anywhere. What's out of control about that?

25. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Another example would be the BART Ploice. Yes they have jurisdiction as well, but when is the last time you heard of a BART Police making a traffic stop on the freeway?

I have blown past those guys at well north of the century mark. One time the officer pointed at me ....and then gave me a thumbs up. Guess he liked the car :)

Anyway it is sort of "Super Robo Cop, meets Super Trooper, with a little Barney Fiff thrown in".

Best to stay with the high campus crimes of a stolen bike or a lost Freshaman looking for the library :)

Just my .02