Speed detection in Dubai | FerrariChat

Speed detection in Dubai

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by ebrafin, Nov 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ebrafin

ebrafin Rookie

Jul 26, 2007
    #1 ebrafin, Nov 4, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
    Could anyone tell me what bands are used for speed traps in Dubai?
    And is it legal to use any kind of detection device there?

2. rampar

rampar Rookie

Nov 1, 2008
    Phx, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ramin Mahmoodi
    As far as I remember, they use a Ka band. The speed sensors only take a picture of the front of your car though. Doesn't matter if you or someone else is driving the "car" gets the ticket. So you're responsible. It's only 150 Dirhams per offense though, so it's not that expensive to pay it (at least it was when I got mine). The Salik's are more expensive though, so make sure you get a tag and put money on it or else that adds up pretty quickly.

Where I got my information:
    I lived in Dubai for 2 years. My family still lives there. Me and my wife are moving back in August.

3. ebrafin

ebrafin Rookie

Jul 26, 2007
    Thank you rampar for the info.

4. rampar

rampar Rookie

Nov 1, 2008
    Phx, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ramin Mahmoodi
    I was talking with my brother, he said the ones on the freeways use Laser only....so I don't know if this has changed. But either way, any radar detector will work. Whether they're legal or not I don't know. I never used one since they're pretty easy to spot. And always remember, you can tailgate and they can't get your plates ;)

5. Foxy348

Foxy348 Karting

Jun 21, 2008
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Noel Ebdon
    Hi All, I have been looking into speed trap detectors for years and nothing really works well here. I have a friend who has a good one bought in the US and it works on the fixed cameras, telling you which have a camera inside and which don't (most don't by the way). However, the police hide the mobile cameras at such acute angles that by the time the detector picks up the signal you are on top of the trap and don't have time to brake.

Also, the fines here are much higher now. Ranging from 300 dhs to confiscation of the car depending on the scale of the offense. They have really tightened up. Only good point is that the police still don't appear to be chasing people or 'trapping' from their cars. No idea what band they use, but most detectors track all the current bands anyway.

The authorities here are targetting speeding as the main cause of the terrible level of deaths on the roads here. However, the main cause of major accidents is total reckless driving or sheer stupidity. I have seen trucks reversing onto highways. People stopping to chat on roundabouts and people crossing busy five lane highways in the dark.

Hope this helps. Any info that will help me would also be useful. I tend to drive around the speed limit, but see no reason why I can't put my foot down late at night on a clear highway.