Speciale --> Pista --> Speciale | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Speciale --> Pista --> Speciale

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Eilig, May 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Trend continues toward fewer Speciales available, and more Pistas available.

Currently for sale on Autotrader:
    458 Speciale: 16
    488 Pista: 58

One week ago, counts were:
    458 Speciale: 18
    488 Pista: 55

Three weeks ago, counts were:
    458 Speciale: 23
    488 Pista: 53

2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Why are these statistics so relevant that they are continually posted? Is this supposed to be reflective of Pistas being less desirable than Speciales?

3. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Interpret it however you want. It's data.

FFan5, Melvok and Avia11 like this.
  4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I also found exactly 16 Scuderia - does that imply that the allegedly "unrivalled" Speciale is actually just as sought after as the Scuderia?
    My take is rather that Pista 1) initially went to many flippers 2) still have high (hoped for) prices - which leads them to be proposed for sale in relatively high numbers.
    This has nothing to do with how they compare with the Speciale (or Scuderia...)

Napoli, LARRYH, stavura and 2 others like this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I may be naive but a market is fundamentally tied to both supply and demand; how can supply not matter?

AlfistaPortoghese and Avia11 like this.
  6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Idk. Didn’t find Pista fun at slow speeds, quite opposite.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  7. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    cargurus currently has 27 scuds (19 coupes + 8 spiders) and 24 speciales (18 coupes + 6 spiders)...

was the scuderia roadster a numbered edition like the speciale aperta?

the pista spider is a beautiful car but didn't they make like 3000 of them?

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    only 499 16M's

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not sure how much we can learn from the numbers of cars for sale. If we go by those, a Pista Spider in my neck of the woods should be three times the price of a 458 SA, Three SA's for sale, but zero Pista Spiders.

The Pista has not been changing hands as long as the Speciale, which to a degree means that a bulk of the Speciales have found owners who will probably keep them. A lot of the flippers have been weeded out by now so to speak. The Pista is a lot newer and thus they are still making the rounds on the market as people are giving them a go and then selling, or flippers are trying to sell them. The Speciale did the exact same thing a few years ago. In two or three years maybe, we can get an actual idea of which is the most coveted. As far as "normal" Speciales go, the numbers is quite close to regular Pistas. And while the claimed number of SA cars is 499, it's well known that there are more. Pista Spiders might be more plentiful, but still, about 750 or so? Compared to what? 550-600SA cars? Too early to tell what's what.

10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

Makes total sense.

11. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Hmmmm....is it though?? :confused:o_O

12. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    In USA, number of Speciales for sale has remained in the range of 20-40 vehicles for the past 3+ years, not the same as Pista, plus Pista prices are dropping quite a bit faster than Speciale prices (as compared to original MSRP) it took several years for (some) Speciale's to be offered below 10% above original MSRP(outside of damaged and high mileage cars) (and most currently listed are above MSRP in USA)

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    These comparisons are pointless. Every era things change with the market, it has nothing to do with the better or more desirable car. From EVERY perspective the Pista is objectively a better car than the Speciale. Of course we have the sound critics but I cant hear you when I am miles in front of you. With this said everyone has a right to their own opinion but these endless comparisons because of the number of cars for sale is silly. May I add, asking prices on SA's and Speciale's are just that. Believe me there is lots of room on everyone of their asking prices and the ones asking too much just sit forever. Oh and I want a Speciale and have my eye on one but I have too much personally going on right now so catching my breath until it makes sense for me.

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    True, but you have remember that this was during the crazy years between 2012 and 2016 where pricing went absolutely mad. It's not apples and oranges and I think we need to get to a point where both cars have been out for a while, and age or even mileage is not a main factor between the cars.

15. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I used to put a lot of emphasis on statistics. The more time goes by, the more I understand it’s all about what makes you happy, not numbers. Quality over quantity. It’s nice to discuss things we like but, in the end, it’s not as important or definite as we think.

Speciale vs Pista is a very nice problem to have in life. Enjoy them. The more we worry about what is best or will appreciate, it’s a joy ride lost.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

chrixxx, stavura, Shadowfax and 4 others like this.
  16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    When the hairs on the back of your neck stand at attention and goose bumps trickle down your spine and you gasp for breath and an ear to ear appears on your face, and all your senses are tickled, thoughts of depreciation are meaningless.

17. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    I too have both and your words are spot on! The Pista is one of the most incredible cars I have ever driven. I love the scud and will be hard pressed to sell it. But after awhile it is exhausting. But it definitely is an “event” to drive it. The pista spider - well 1,000 miles in 30 days and would have been more had it not been for work and poor weather. It literally has seen back country roads, daily commuting, grocery shopping and even a trip to the hardware store to pick up a 5 gallon drum of deck stain (yes it fits in the bonnet)!

Scudmsl and Wikdstrate like this.
  18. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Quantities currently for sale on Autotrader:
    458 Speciale: 17
    488 Pista: 61

One week ago:
    458 Speciale: 16
    488 Pista: 58

Two weeks ago:
    458 Speciale: 18
    488 Pista: 55

Four weeks ago, counts were:
    458 Speciale: 23
    488 Pista: 53

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Why are so many Pistas for sale and growing?

20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Because they suck

SoCal to az likes this.
  21. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Worst car ever. I threw mine away.

Gh21631 likes this.
  22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Wait till F8 comes out if you think there are "soooo many Pistas for sale"

Gh21631 likes this.
  23. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    SoCal to az likes this.
  25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Its a terrible car. The other guy you quoted is not me. Its someone else. Pista is the worst car ever. Piece of junk. Cant believe I ever even owned one.