Speciale Market | FerrariChat

Speciale Market

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by DM1, Jan 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DM1

DM1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2006
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    DM
    Post cars for sale and cars that have sold. We want to know where the market is on these cars.

2. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Trending downwards. I would say most examples have around 3000-4000 miles, and those sell for around $360k. Vast majority are in Rossa Corsa with the white+blue NART stripe, or with the black and white twin racing stripes.

There's noticeably more Speciale for sale now than there are in early 2017, where I would say the market value was at around $400k

3. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    This sounds spot on!

sparetireless likes this.
  4. anishka

anishka Karting

Dec 30, 2013
    U. P., Michigan
    Full Name:
    Larry
    This matches my observations over the past year.

I wonder how the release of the 488 VS will affect pricing?

5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Not much to wonder there if its that epically better given the hype. It would truly be down to the sound issue for future buyers but then again most have posted that the Italia sounds best. Why not have one of each?

6. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    My prediction is that in the long run, Speciale values will hold strong. The sound and general reputation of the Speciale models are incredibly positive; people will always admire and look back to the Speciale. I haven't seen a non ultra limited Ferrari be this well received in a long time.

In fact, I won't be surprised if the Speciale ends up holding value better than the 488 VS. The 488 VS is running the risk that its replacement will be simply superior to it in every way, in the same way the Italia was widely considered to be superior in every aspect to the F430. On the other hand, many critics felt that the 488, while awesome, lost a few things during its transition from the 458.

Finally, the 488 is in a period where there is tough competition from Mclaren and Lamborghini.

iloveferrari, Roland1688 and Shack like this.
  7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Predictions ... are worth nothing imo (sorry) .... only observations count.

Also Speciale prices will go down ... that is normal ... (from observations) :D

8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    In the long run, the Speciale will benefit from its relative rarity, but that does not tell much about what a fair price will eventually be since all used Ferrari prices have been high (compared with history) during the last 2-3 years, and they are still high in spite of recent softening. Where prices will stabilise is not clear; there are arguments in both directions: we have now a real worldwide market and a very good Ferrari marketing, which tend to push prices upwards, but on the other hand the production numbers are higher than ever before, which could eventually push prices downwards.

9. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Production numbers will continue to increase - just watch 488 "Speciale's" will outnumber 458's just as 458"s outnumber Stradale's etc.

The biggest factor on value is use; if you drive your Speciale and actually put significant miles on it then value suffers. But then again you only live once and IF driving makes you happy then hey..........

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  10. DM1

DM1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2006
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    DM
    It seems to me that prices are more impacted by higher miles in the US than anywhere else in the world and that is true with all cars not just Ferrari.

11. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I think it’s a little early to be talking about huge numbers of 488VS to be produced. Ferrari will be producing 3 new cars a year starting this year. These may be variants or new cars such as the FUV next year. You will also see a number of special cars coming out - this production has to come from somewhere. I’m not sure what factory capacity is but I don’t recall seeing anything on expansion - so I wonder if it’s possible for outsiders to know what the actual production of any model will be.

I can’t remember what capacity the V8 line currently has but It will be divided between 488, VS, Portofino, new Portofino coupe(when?) and I presume V8 Lusso. Late next year the 488 replacement will start production. Will be interesting to see how production is divided between these models.

12. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    As a data point someone I know offered $345k on a rosso corsa nart speciale in the usa i think 6000 miles that was accepted.

13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  14. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    (edit) $467,500 INCLUDES fees
    so, the new owner cannot drive it more than 76 miles (to go over 1,000) or he'll lose what? $50-$80k ?

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    are speciales at msrp now or below?

16. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    I think depends on miles driven and uniqueness of the car. Many were custom bespoke ordered cars and not just your standard rosso corsa with nart striped cars.

Did Speciale prices just get a positive bump after the 488 GTO pic came out??

17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if anything i think prices will go the other way - guys will be selling speciales to make room for 488 gto i wld think

Afonsolaw likes this.
  18. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Yes, I think initially...unless more guys, present company included just can't wrap our heads around a turbo charged Fcar (other then the F40 of course) especially when everything else out there has and is going turbo and electric. Hell my daily is a "turbo charged" Raptor! Time will tell.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  19. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    For my personal taste, yes. The car in the 488 GTO pic is fugly.

20. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Depends on the spec and mileage. If the MSRP was heavily inflated by useless cosmetic options such as alcantara in different custom colors on random surfaces or insanely expensive cosmetic carbon fiber, then it will likely sell for below MSRP in current market.

Generally, all the desirable and utility adding options can be added to the car for under $340k MSRP. Anything beyond that is not going to get much back on resale.

21. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Forza mag tested speciale vs 458 few yrs ago. Street test only iirc. Result was 458 won based on it being so good overall while speciale had drawbacks like droning exhaust and rough ride that out weighed its performance upgrade. Reviewer also felt stradale and scud were vgastly superior to 360 ad 430 base models. While I worship the speciale, not sure I can see paying double the cost of 458.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  22. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    What a bunch of BS. I own both an Italia and Speciale. There is no rough ride in a Speciale, and no drone in the exhaust. The Speciale is absolutely worth double the cost, trust me. Don't believe everything you read, especially from a brain-dead journalist.

23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I’ve owned both also, no drone and not too rough.

24. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Ok good to know since ive never been in speciale. Forza, along with excellence for porsche, does have good reports though. Could also be Im not correctly remembering article I read once several years ago.

25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I don’t doubt their opinion, but the Speciale is subjective for sure. I didn’t find it to be worth 2x honestly. But I like the aggressive looks and have no doubt some day it will be a semi collectible ferrari albeit 20yrs out.