Spark Plugs are special order? Say it isn't so | FerrariChat

Spark Plugs are special order? Say it isn't so

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by dstacy, May 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Champion tells me that spark plugs for a 400i are not avail in the US except through the dealer because of the thread pitch. I just refuse to believe that there isn't an alternate source.
    So lay it on me; where have you all been buying them?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    There hasn't been a lot of love here for the Champion brand.

If you are looking for the Champion N7Y, I think most of us would rather opt for the NGK BP7ES (or maybe BP6ES if you are not hitting triple digit speeds often).

If you are dead-set on using the Champion brand, you might have better luck finding N7YC (which is just the updated version of N7Y with Champion's "Copper" construction).

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I'm trying to get 1 heat range hotter plug. My car loads up a bit around town.
    So the BP6ES is the right selection?
    Is this a plug I can find here in the US?

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You shouldn't have a big problem finding that NGK BP6ES locally, but many of us order our NGK plugs on-line from www.clubplug.net (especially for the more expensive IX type).

For US driving, going to the "6" NGK heat range is normal practice, and many even go to the "5" NGK heat range, but at $1.91 each I think you could try a set of the BP6ES first without much regret. If you still have fouling problems, try the "5"s or the NGK BPR6EIX style.

But please confirm which Champion number that you were/are presently using/seeking just to be clear.

5. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I'm pretty sure you are correct on the NGK numbers. NGK & Champion heat range numbers run opposite from one another.

If you are fouling out / loading up, I would go with an NGK heat range of 5. Also, I strongly reccomend the NGK and Nippon Denso Iridium tip plugs.

Regards,

Art S.

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I am a big fan of the NGK plugs, use the BP6ES and they work well. With NGK, the lower the number, the hotter the plug.

John

7. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    I run NGK BP5es in my 400i - no fouling even though my 400 is a severe oil burner. If it did not burn oil though, I think i would stick with BP6es - these are fine on my dino with no fouling.

Alex

8. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I think 412's have the smaller 12mm thread like a 328, but 400i are 14x1.25, which is totally std.

FWIW, try BP6EY, instead of ES. Same price and cleaner spark with V groove.

9. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Some other people I know have given up on Champion plugs in Ferraris. My GTC had N7Ys in it and I could rarely get more than around 2000 miles before they would misfire and load up.

When I started using the NGKs, I was amazed at how much longer they lasted.
    The BP7ES were fine for hard high speed driving but for all around driving the BP6ES was much better. After the GTC turned over around 130,000 miles, the oil consumption was getting worse and I switched to the BP5ES.

Here's another thing that's great for Ferraris, especially the older ones - remove the Marelli coils and ballast resistors and substitute the Bosche Blue ignition coil - as far as I'm concerned, it's the best product of its kind on the market.

Back to Champion plugs - I use them exclusively in my aircraft and have NEVER had a problem. They seem to be the best thing available for aviation applications.

Bob Z.