Southwest missed approach MDW 6/22 | FerrariChat

Southwest missed approach MDW 6/22

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by jimshadow, Jun 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Flew BWI to MDW direct yesterday afternoon. I’ve made this trip several times. As we were on final approach I commented to the person next to me that it felt like we were carrying quite a bit of speed this close to the airport. About this time the pilots pulled up to around 2,500-3,000’ and hard circled around the airport and made a 2nd attempt. We were bounced around in the gusty winds as we circled. Pilot came on overhead and stated that WX had moved into the area along with last second wind change which necessitated a go-around. We carried a fair amount of speed on the 2nd attempt with a firm landing and hard on the speed brakes.
    My question is, what happens in the cockpit after this type of incident? Lots of reporting?
    I’m guessing the pilots got a workout manually flying that 737 around Chicago.

Jim

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    My friend recently retired as a SWA captain. He told me that airport is one of two Southwest pilots need particular training or something in order to land. I have flown into MDW on SWA a decent number of times and it always feels fast landing with hard braking since it's so short. Was it really that much faster when you landed compared to other times?

3. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I’d love to know the actual fight data on it. Butt’o’Meter certainly felt faster than normal and at least 1 other person commented that it was a harder than normal MDW landing.....even the crew commented. (I was in the 1st row). I’ve probably flown into MDW at least 40 times in my life, maybe more. It’s definitely different than flying into IND which is the other airport that I fly in/out of frequently.....

Jim

4. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I have been on many flights that had to "go around". Its not that rare and (while I'm not a commercial pilot) I'd be surprised if there was any paperwork or reporting for a simple go-around.

gt1995 likes this.
  5. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    An additional entry is made in the aircraft logbook to account for the missed approach/go-around. That's it.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  6. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Interesting! I wasn't sure how that worked. Thanks!

Jim

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I did not know that a 737 had speed brakes... are you talking about air brake speed brakes, or....??

Seen them on the BAE-146.

Been on several go-arounds at Midway... The first one, I was a kid and O'Hare did not exist yet.

8. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Check flight radar!

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I assumed he meant thrust reversers, not "speed brakes". Speed brakes wouldn't do much at landing speeds and below. I added them on my Mooney to get better descent rates while keeping airspeed down; excess airspeed was always a pain to bleed off in that plane.

jimshadow likes this.
  10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Midway is one airport I avoid because I think the safety margins are limited; I'd put Washington National and Orange County on that list. I've flown into La Guardia, but I'm not a fan of the place.

The last go-around I had was evidently because the aircraft that landed ahead of us took too long to clear the runway. Fortunately the controller at ATL was able to insert us into the line so that the delay was surprisingly minimal.

11. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    There are a couple sets of spoilers on the wing. Ones used in flight for both spoiling wing lift and also somethimes used for roll control, and others (generally most inboard) that are referred to as ground spoilers. Both sets can be used on roll-out to shed lift to increase braking efficiency.

While the marketers call them 'speed brakes' the Mooney pop-up 'fences' are also just spoilers.

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner

Well it depends on how big the airplane is :) I know ATA used to fly 757-300's out of Midway, wich is rather much but they did it several times daily, but that's a 757 wich are more stable with more room for error due to the longer landing gear, not a stubby gear 737. They even put an empty DC8 into MDW back in the 1960's

13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Try Burbank for no margins. But its great for taxiing.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Maybe so. The only "suburban" L.A. airport that I've flown into is Ontario, and I'd like to keep it that way.

15. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Just a couple of points. Usually for a go around no additional paper work required unless there was a safety issue involved. Something like maybe a vehicle or other airplane pulling onto the runway. In this type of scenario the pilots would fill out an "ASAP" report.

The Aviation Safety Action Program (ASAP) is a voluntary reporting program in which airlines and other Part 121 operators team up with the FAA to enhance flight safety. The goal of ASAP is to detect problems and safety hazards in flight operations before those problems cause an accident.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/aviation-safety-action-program-asap-282776

As far as the 737 goes there are a couple of interesting points. One, since they have stretched the airplane numerous times the weight of the 737 is now a lot higher than when the airplane was designed over 50 years ago. Because of these higher weights the airplane has to fly a lot faster to generate enough lift. I fly the 757 and a lot of times the approach speed on the 737 is 20 knots faster than on a 757. Second look at the landing gear on a 737. It has two tires on each main landing gear and therefore two brakes on each side for a total of four. A 757 has 4 tires on each landing gear for a total of 8 tires and 8 brakes, twice as many as a 737. That's why on most 737 landings close to max reverse thrust is used. As a side note the A319/320/321 has only two tires and brakes per side, just like the 737. Airbus actually installs brake cooling fans to help cool the brakes after every landing.

Boomhauer likes this.
  16. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    MDW has short runways. We’d love to grease them all, but there are a few places you just don’t mess around. MDW, BUR, SNA etc.
    Many reasons for a go around such as bad ATC vectors/assigned speed, late configuration, windshear/reported wind shift, aircraft on landing runway, or aircraft malfunction.