SOUTH WEST SERVICE | FerrariChat

SOUTH WEST SERVICE

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by marklintott, Jul 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marklintott

marklintott Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    Taipei Taiwan / Somerset UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Lintott
    My much loved GT4 packed up on me on the M5 recently and after limping off the main carriageway I got it flat bedded home and then down to the guys who do my regular servicing - Braunton Engineering in Devon.

I'm waiting for a full report from Chris at Braunton but it seems clear something pretty catastrophic took place involving dropped valves and loss of one bank of cylinders. Looks like I'm going to be facing a major rebuild unfortunately, with all the "while you're in there" stuff associated with that.

Couple of questions for the experienced:

1 Assuming I'm in to a rebuild - certainly top end - heads/valve train etc and possibly pistons. What are the sensible mods to consider in doing this. Sodium valves are an obvious one but how about more energetic cams, compression etc etc? Bit vague I know as I still don't entirely know what I'm into but just thinking.....

2 Does anyone have any experience of Braunton Engineering for this kind of work? I've used them a couple of times on this car and they have been very good to deal with and have done very thorough work and good service etc. They also seem to be highly recommended in the Porsche crowd too as Pcars make up the bulk of their work I think. Of course an engine rebuild is going to be a big deal so I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing. I'm wondering if there are any alternative recommendations either for them or anyone else down in that part of the world.

Thanks in advance

Mark
    Taiwan/UK

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    FTech exCarrs are nearby so might be worth a call - maybe the Reeders in Pewsey who have rebuilt many 308 race engines

3. marklintott

Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    Full Name:
    Mark Lintott
    Thanks I'll give them both a call. On the face of it Ftech look more likely as they are slightly closer but really it depends on timing - Braunton can't look at it until Christmas apparently.

Thanks anyway

Mark
    Taiwan/UK

4. Mavros

Mavros Rookie

Aug 22, 2013
    UK
    Another recommendation for Ftech. Dan certainly seems to know his stuff.

5. marklintott

Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    Full Name:
    Mark Lintott
    Thanks for the replies - followed up with Ftech and also Terry Keys at Silverstone and they are both equally busy it seems. At the moment I'm sticking with Braunton as the car is there already and they seem keen and capable to do the work. Still promised a start before Christmas so hopefully I can get it back around March/April.....
    Thanks

Mark

6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I used to take my 911 to Crispin Manners at Oak Tree Garage in Newton Poppleford, though I suspect that he may have retired by now. I presently take it to Peter Anning at MBS in Exeter: I have taken my Merc to him for years and then he hired an ex-Carrs Porsche techie, since when I have been taking my 911 there, simply because it is more convenient than going out to NP. Very happy withtheir service, though MBS have never done anything as serious as a rebuild for me. Crispin rebuilt the engine in my 911 (964) and afterwards it was like driving a new car. More than 40,000 miles later, it has never given me any trouble.

7. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I know it sounds nuts, but you might just find Carrs in exeter would be a very good place to go. They may be a main dealer, but in my experience, they've always been fair with their invoices, and pretty understanding, and of course, direct link to the factory. It's worth a phone call to Mark to have a chat about it surely

8. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Absolutely!

I have just realised that I must have been having a "blonde moment" when I read the original post and started waffling about where to take a 911 for a rebuild!!! Silly me (I did wonder at the time why this question was being asked here)!!! Signs of dementia setting in!!!

Carrs look after my 550 and 246 and they are BRILLIANT! Unlike most Ferrari main agents, they do know about the older cars (Harvey, their head technician is very, very good) and don't charge the earth. Call Mark Ware on 01392 822 080 and I am sure he will sort you out.

daytona355 likes this.
  9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Harv is a superstar, if there's something he doesn't know, generally, it's ain't worth knowing! You are right, they deal with lots of older cars too, so their experience is pretty broad, and they are not frightened to admit they need input from other sources if necessary, rather than try to bumble through regardless. Highly recommend them, and mark is a very easy to talk to chap