Source for upper radiator hose | FerrariChat

Source for upper radiator hose

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by donkost, Mar 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Looking for a good source for the upper radiator hose on my '85 Mondial QV Cab. Last time I started it in the garage just to keep the juices flowing until driving season is here (very mild winter in eastern PA), I noticed a tiny trickle of steam coming from the area of the front of the upper radiator hose. It was barely noticeable unless I got close to observe. The hose clamp has possibly nicked the hose. When I take it off to observe what is going on, I'd like to have a spare hose ready. It is part #21 in the cooling system exploded diagram on a few parts sites I have checked. A very short hose with a 90 degree curve in it. The original part seems to be not available and there is a alternative listed. I have looked on AlgarFerrari.com and Ferrariparts.co.uk. I don't mind shipping from the UK, but I was wondering which place others in the states have used.

2. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Silicone aftermarket hoses are available. Measure the size and order it up. I think it is 1 1/2 inch.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    When I had to replace mine, I just removed the old one and took it to the local auto parts store. They let me look through their "Wall of Hoses" and I found a pre-made hose that had the 90° plus enough length of straight sections (both ends of the 90). When I got home I cut out what I needed.

Best to bring a caliper with you to measure the inside diameter.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

davem likes this.
  4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

+1!

5. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Thanks guys, gives me a number of options. I was also thinking of silicone but I am ok with OEM. And yes you'd think there has to be a hose for some other application that matches up well. I worked in a parts store in the early 1980's and remember all of those hoses. The hose from Algar is 100 bucks and even that I don't mind since it saves a trip. I work in IT from my home office and have a 22 year old Autistic son, so spare time is a precious resource.

I bought the Chris Warren Mondial, and some may remember him from Mondialpalooza. He had some real fun with the cooling system, and it is described in the thread below if anyone wants to have a good read. Thankfully I have not had any overheating issues at all in the two years I have had the car.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/cooling-suggestions-85-mondial.369698/

6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    enzo360 likes this.
  7. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    +2!
    This is the way to go. Save your money. Did the same few years ago. Have Silicone on bottom....they need special clamps or will loosen up.

8. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Thanks again guys. Now my more current issue is deciding if I want to switch from Hagerty to Grundy for my pending renewal. Not trying to threadjack my own thread here. lol I have a discussion going with another member regarding this. I did the same thing last year and stuck with Hagerty at the last minute. Of course it can be changed during the year but I typically never think about it until close to renewal time.

9. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I recently changed from Hagerty to Condon and Skelly. Hagerty wanted almost a grand to insure me for a year, and I got the exact coverage from C and S for $330. It also included better road service assistance. I love everything Hagerty does for the hobby, but paying three times as much seemed a bit extreme.
    I quoted Grundy as well, and they were about in the middle. I figure Condon and Skelly has been around a long time, so they shouldn't be an issue if the worst occurs. Hopefully I won't have to find out!

10. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Ok "greatscott", that's great info, thanks! I never even heard of that insurance company, but I'm sure there are many I have never heard of.

11. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
  12. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott