Soneone put Screw in door lock?? | FerrariChat

Soneone put Screw in door lock??

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by MikeMonty, Feb 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MikeMonty

MikeMonty Karting

May 28, 2004
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 MikeMonty, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't have a Ferrari, yet, saving for years and hope to pick up a F430 next year but enjoy reading the boards. I had a strange thing happen tonight with my car so wanted to get your feedback. I live in Spain, parked my car at a mall outside of Madrid. When I walked out towards the car, I was ~100 meters away I noticed a 5 series BMW that was stopped next to my parked car, rear door open but just sitting there. It was dark so when I got to about 75 meters I hit the unlock button and then noticed someone stand up between my car and the other and get in 5 series and it pulled away. I did not think much of it so loaded the trunk with bags and buckled the kids in the back seat. When I went to open my door I noticed there was a screw inserted in the door lock. By this time the car was long gone so I checked the rest of the car and did not notice anything strange. The car is a BMW 3 series but with aftermarket wheels, coilovers. exhaust, etc...so it stands out a bit. So I went home, found a hex drive and removed the screw which was about 1.5 inches long. It pissed me off that these guys were messing with my car but I am not exactly sure what they were trying to do...not sure if they were trying to break in, steal it, or if is was just some prank where they think if they stick a screw in your door lock that you will not be able to open it? Have you ever heard of someone trying to break into a car by putting a screw through the lock?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Does your door key still work in the lock? Or did the screw damage the lock?

3. MikeMonty

MikeMonty Karting

May 28, 2004
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a FOB so don't ever use a key. The FOB has a built in key that you can separate so I tried that. The screw damaged the lock internals but after a few minutes of back and forth with the key I was able to open the lock so it still works. Luckily, no real damage but more of a question of what they were trying to accomplish since I have never heard of people trying to put a screw through a door lock. They were adults in a late 5 series BMW so it was not just a couple of 13 year old punks doing stupid pranks.

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    It's an old trick.

"Police said thieves tried to open the car's locked passenger door with a dent-puller tool used in auto-body repair. About $250 in damage was done to the door and lock."

Here's the same on a house door knob.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdSGL5Yfa08[/ame]

5. MikeMonty

MikeMonty Karting

May 28, 2004
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Wade. Looks like I was really lucky to get back to my car right in middle of them trying to break the lock! The timing makes sense b/c I got to the car ~20 mins after the normal time to start dinner which in Spain often takes a couple hours...so they probably figured they were in the clear. Cheers.