[Somewhat OT] Why I don't much follow sports car racing - Even Le Mans!... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

[Somewhat OT] Why I don't much follow sports car racing - Even Le Mans!...

Discussion in 'F1' started by Fast_ian, May 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Again, I beg to differ..... My best guess is maybe 10-20 per year. One per race? Mostly genuine clarifications when someone stretches their "interpretation"......

Team; "That's not a hole, that's a slot!"
    CW; "OK, FU, I'm banning slots too!.... You know what we meant!"

I firmly believe he's not doing it to "level the field" or at Bernie's behest.

:eek: :)

I agree that they're doing some cool stuff. Certainly on a par with the F1 guys. [Plus, they don't have to deal with those pesky sticky-out wheels! ;)]

"More interesting"? Debatable IMO.

I just have a conceptual problem with BOP "rules" I guess.......

Cheers,
    Ian

2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #77 DeSoto, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    That came later. I think that some V8s still survived a few years.

A sports car desginer is not allowed to think a lot either, as he has to race with what the marketing guys want to sell. In the end, it doesn´t really matter what he does, as the performance of the car is going to be determined by the BOP.

3. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Exactly what I've been trying to say! Thank you! ;)

Again, while I very much respect the format it's just not what it should be about IMO.

When did BOP first appear at, say, Le Mans?

Cheers,
    Ian

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #79 PSk, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    Audi still win by miles ...

And all the BOP adjustments do is make the team work harder. This IMO is preferred to the current F1 state where all they are allowed to do is change the script in their name on top of the cam covers ;)

Also usually they simply add weight to a winning car, compared to the FIA in F1 suddenly clarifying a rule and outlawing something mid-season ...
    Pete

5. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Can you please give me one (recent?) example?

;)

Cheers,
    Ian

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
  7. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Perfectly legitimate clarification to me; As of 4 years ago you cannot **** with your ride height between qualy & the race.

'Hole' versus 'slot'...... No big deal.

Better to clarify ahead of the season, no?

Cheers,
    Ian

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    But didn't RB have to change their car mid-season?
    Agree but by then the cars had already been built.

Your point was that the FIA did not change rules during a season that necessitated car changes, thus potentially altering their performance. I have quoted examples where they did, or close to with the pre-season one.
    Pete

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    IIRC, the brou-haha was all about a "development" floor that appeared a few races into the season.

IIRC, they had to change it back closer to it's original specs.... No rules changed..... ;)

Fair enough.

*Three* examples from the past 5 or so years.

And even those are "debatable".... Seems pretty good to me!

:)

Cheers,
    Ian

10. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Meant to note; I stand behind my point. Only very, very rarely does Charlie do something that really hurts.....

This debate also gets to the heart of why the tires shouldn't be changed either! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Not always when there was a worthy rival on the track.

Yet, I have to admit that when they were racing Peugeot, the BOP was not a deciding factor, as both raced diesel LMPs. And then, the main difference between the two (AWD vs RWD) got BOPed too.

If Toyota stays in the race for long enough, something that I´m not pretty sure about, as it seems that they´re not spending too much in it (i.e: only two cars vs three Audis at Le Mans), I suppose that the rules will tend to favour the gasoline cars more and more, (specially as Porsche is entering next year) and Audi will have a hard time keeping the winning streak. Still they can do it, as they´re throwing lots of money in that, although one could argue if that´s good for the sport.