[Somewhat OT] Why I don't much follow sports car racing - Even Le Mans!... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

[Somewhat OT] Why I don't much follow sports car racing - Even Le Mans!...

Discussion in 'F1' started by Fast_ian, May 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Duck_Hollywood

Duck_Hollywood Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    I have worked on several Grand Am and ALMS teams, all teams finds ways around rules, and by mid season the crew members are better at spotting violations on other cars then the officials are. I think most race fans would be surprised what teams can get away with.

does money make a difference? yes it does, though it matters how you spend it.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Obviously we won't agree on this as to me only F1 drivers matter. Call me a snob, so be it.

And seeing F1 drivers in endurance racing would give fans like me more direct access to them than when they were in F1.

Besides: I love it when drivers do "the triple crown" however you define that (e.g. Indy 500, F1, Le Mans).

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Very well said.

They do put on a pretty good show, but I'm with you; There's a nagging doubt that its all 'fixed'.

Then the Q becomes, 'why do they need to BOP "em?'.... Particularly by these seemingly tiny amounts. I guess Toyota's additional fuel allows 'em to run one more lap for example.

Cheers,
    Ian

4. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

'Hero to zero' in about a second or so!.... Without any BOP adjustments either! Plus, you gotta design and build the sucker. You can't just call Porsche and order the latest and greatest whatever it is this week.

Fair enough. I beg to differ, but thats fine of course. ;)

However, as the OP, I don't think it's a 'silly discussion'. Rather, just my feelings on rules changing every weekend. As someone said, reminds me of the WWF.:(

Cheers,
    Ian

5. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime

GREAT comeback my friend! :)

6. selvatico

selvatico Karting

Sep 17, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Damien Laframboise
    I am a fan of endurance racing. I also follow F1, DTM, and World Superbike too. For me they are all great fun as a lover of motor racing.

Those Audi turbodiesels are awe inspiring machines, and Audi absolutely pours money into the development of their endurance racing program. They built a car to spec., as did the other teams.

Do a better job, get ****ed sums it up quite nicely.

7. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Just thought it worth mentioning here that after the final qualifying session for the Blancpain Endurance Series race at Silverstone today the top 25 cars were all within 1 second of each other.

Cars from Nissan, Aston Martin, Audi, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Lamborghini, McLaren all that close together proves that the 'Balance of Power' approach works just as well as a single set of rules that has to be conformed to like in Formula One.

Qualifying Results

>8^)
    ER

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Interesting way of looking at it. [And actually had a lot to do with me watching the Rolex race from Detroit last night! :)]

They're not the same as Le Mans cars I discovered - DP's are their LMP1's, right? [But at about 1/10th the cost?]

"GT" and "GX" (?) are production based? (How many you gotta build? Presumably more for GX than GT?)

Anyway, seems they too are BOP'ed and I gotta be honest, the racing was pretty good; They were on a "Monaco style" street course - Nice, but limited overtaking - think Albert Park in the river in Detroit (Or maybe Montreal).

OTOH, and more regarding prototypes, there very definitely are rules. That these get "adjusted" on a regular basis (Ford had 200 more RPM for this race!) remains my "problem" with it. :(

Cheers,
    Ian

9. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I really can't comprehend why you don't see the benefits of keeping all the contenders on equal footing, allowing them each a chance for victory. I'm guessing you hated it when teachers graded on a curve in school as well? :D

>8^)
    ER

10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The problem is that the BOP can be altered to change the status quo at will and help someone if necessary, most often moved by commercial interests (i:e: help someone to sell diesels or bring BMWs to the championship, despite they haven´t anything that can compete against Porsches, Ferraris, etc...).

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I can't wait until Audi puts a diesel in its R8 and kicks ass at Daytona. A diesel with 400hp and 1000lb ft of torque and dual clutch tranny will be tough to beat on the street or track.

12. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I really can't comprehend why you don't want a level, unchanging, playing field! ;) Ford got an extra 200 revs this time out!?.... Why? Porsche got more air. Why?..... To keep it close? Sorry, that's not what Motorsport is all about to me.

I have no idea what 'grading on a curve' means...... In my day, you either 'won' (led the class) or you didn't...... :)

Cheers,
    Ian

13. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    They are leveling the playing field with those changes to make for more competitive racing on the track and less about any technical development advantages one car or team might have. I get the impression you are more interested in an engineering contest and poking holes in the rules like we see in F1, when racing is supposed to be a driving competition.

>8^)
    ER

14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    If motorsport was only about driving, why not all the series are single-marque?

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The FIA or Bernie level the playing field when they need to, but F1 only needs a couple of teams to look like they might win to make it interesting. Compare that with a 24 hour race and tiny advantages turn in to boring multiple lap wins.

F1 is so restricted it really is spec racing, especially engine wise (at the moment). They even level the engine competitiveness until everybody is happy.

It really is time they removed 90% of the rules!
    Pete

16. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #66 Fast_ian, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
    Understood. May as well just force the leaders to slow down if they get too far ahead. (Oh, wait, some series already do that!) It's just as much a legitimate approach as allowing more or less revs etc on a race by race basis IMO. Anathema I tell you! :)

I think you may be on to something here! :) Fer sure, the engineering "contest" is a large part of it's appeal to me. Want "pure athletic" competition? Watch running. ;)

I disagree about it being only a driving competition though; Outside of spec series (which I don't much follow either) there's always a big engineering challenge in motorsport. Everyone, from the chief designer to the lowliest gopher has to do their bit; They do a better job (and hire better drivers?) and get hobbled it seems.

BTW, still have full respect for the guys at the pointy end over 6-24 hours; Takes some doing any which way. I'm not trying to "diss" the sport, just laying out my feelings.

Cheers,
    Ian

17. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    This old chestnut again!.... Once again, I'l say it's patently untrue. F1 rules DO NOT change during the season.

We must be in a golden age right now then! ;)

I guess I'm in the minority; You do a better job, you deserve to win. Do a *much* better job, you deserve to win by a lot. No problem!.....

One word; Cost! While I too would like to see unfettered engine development and bunches of testing, it's not going to happen. I know not many see it, but they really are trying to contain costs compared to, say, a decade back.

And again, gotta disagree that it's spec racing; Every one of 'em must design & build their cars. Sure, within some pretty tight guidelines. But as Bas (?) noted, if it were a spec series we'd see Marussia or Caterham winning on occasion.

Cheers,
    Ian

18. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    +1

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    While that is true in general, they do level the playing field during the season by deeming something legal or illegal.

Whether that was the mass damper or the super diffuser, the idea remains the same: Give/take an advantage to keep the championship interesting.

It is not as obvious as it is in endurance racing, but it happens too in F1.

20. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    According to Charlie Whiting, the "spirit of the rules" is the BOP of Formula 1.

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    There you go. My point all along.

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I beg to differ.

Charlie issues clarifications when he feels they're going too far. I'm not sure, but reading some of 'em that have ref #'s it seems typically 10-20 per year. We only hear about the contentious ones after someones protested. However, he does NOT do it to level the field.

The great mass damper debate was, what, 2006? Even in that case the rules didn't change; IIRC, he initially said it was legal. Someone then protested it as a moveable aid and he ruled with the protester. I know there's some who claim that as it wasn't in the airstream it can't have been an aero aid, but I've tried to explain that many times.

Pretty much the same with the super diffusers & EBD's; Both were legal for the season.

Again; "THE RULES DO NOT CHANGE MID SEASON!"

;)

Cheers,
    Ian

23. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    And as the teams note regularly, there is no "spirit of the rules"...... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You say potato and I say potato.

Lets call the whole thing off.

25. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #75 PSk, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
    They are often clarified.
    I have no problem with this either, but Bernie and his TV show do hence they go looking deeper ...
    Then Ian you should be into sportscar racing. The engineering is far more interesting and the cars are out of this world, especially the top tier. F1 quality easily.

F1 stopped being an engineering competition when Ferrari stopped using the v12 engine, allowing the FIA to specify engine size, number of cylinders, engine bore spacing ... everything. The only thing they can design is the name on the camcover AND then if you happen to design a better engine the others are allowed to continue development until they catch up.

AND if one team gets too much aero advantage the FIA will go over the car with a fine tooth comb with the rule book in one hand.

F1 cars are awesome, Sportscars are simply more awesome because the engineers are allowed to think. Only the aerodynamic person in a F1 team is still allowed to think ... just sad.
    Pete