[Somewhat OT] Why I don't much follow sports car racing - Even Le Mans!... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

[Somewhat OT] Why I don't much follow sports car racing - Even Le Mans!...

Discussion in 'F1' started by Fast_ian, May 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #26 GuyIncognito, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
    I didn't say faster :)

but a modern P1 (Audi, Toyota, the old Peugot) is far more technically innovative than any modern F1 car. sorry.

and for comparison, the Toyota P1 car won the pole at Silverstone this spring at 1:43. last year the fastest race lap in F1 at Silverstone was a 1:25, so assume a pole time of 1:22-ish? (Qualy at Silverstone last year was wet).

another data point, qualifying at Interlagos in 2012: F1 car 1:12, P1 car 1:22

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That's not because F1 teams aren't innovative but because the rules prohibit a lot of new high tech.

Why?

Because the idea is to have an emphasis on the driver and his skills.

When Mansell won the title people said a monkey could have won with that car and to some degree that might be true. FIA has often technologically simplified F1 to bring back more of the driver input and I think that is a good thing.

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I understand what you're getting at. They do indeed have more room to innovate - Their aero is *far* superior to the stylized bricks that are F1 cars for example. [Newey and the boys would like nothing more than getting rid of the sticky-out wheels as we know! ;)]

Thanks for that. I'd have guessed they'd have been closer TBH! What's an F3 car do around there these days?

Cheers,
    Ian

4. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    and while I'm on a Sports Car roll, here's a list of manufacturers actively involved in WEC or ALMS:

Audi
    BMW
    Porsche
    Toyota
    GM (Corvette)
    Chrysler (Viper)
    Ferrari
    Aston Martin
    Nissan
    Honda/HPD
    Mazda

Here's a list of manufacturers actively involved in F1:
    Mercedes
    Ferrari
    Renault

hmmm.... ;)

5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    British F3 at Silverstone, pole was a 1:53, dry track, last weekend (5/26/13)

I think current P1 cars are roughly equivalent to the old Lola/Reynard champ cars at a lot of tracks. I assume a lot of the gap between P1 and F1 is down to weight and tire compound.

6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1,000! ;)

I know we have our differences of opinion on occasion, but here I'm 100% with you! :)

Traction/launch control? ABS? No thanks! 'Tis the WDC & WCC! Not the fuel economy, different weights, restricted air, BOP'd championship!

Cheers,
    Ian

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Plus:

McLaren
    Marussia

And lets not forget that EVERY team in F1 builds their own car, chassis included.

That to me is another major difference to endurance racing where often the paintjob is the only differentiating factor between the teams.

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Marussia builds road cars?

I should have put McLaren and Lotus on that list too, I was looking only at F1 engine suppliers as they are historically the road car manufacturers involved in F1 (Ferrari being the perennial exception). of course by that standard Lotus also builds P1 cars although I think they're just rebadged Lolas. same for Morgan, which is just a rebadged Oreca.

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #34 Fast_ian, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
    Fair comment, but, my take on 'em [Only slightly tongue in cheek ;)]

Audi - Haven't got the balls to join the big boys. Easier to dominate Le Mans.
    BMW - Failed.
    Porsche - Bascally failed. They only go racing when the rules suit 'em.
    Toyota - Biggest fail of all time!
    GM (Corvette) - Would love to see 'em in F1. But seems Detroit doesn't quite "get it" (?)
    Chrysler (Viper) - As for GM
    Ferrari - Woo-hoo!
    Aston Martin - Failed in a previous incarnation.
    Nissan - Kind of there with Renault.
    Honda/HPD - Failed.
    Mazda - Another I'd love to see in F1.

:)

Cheers,
    Ian

10. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Yep. By Russian standards (!) pretty good ones too.... Someone posted some pix a while back. Don't know much about 'em, but they look pretty nice....

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    As Peloton pointed out to me not so long ago.

Yup, they build the Russian equivalent of an Enzo. :)

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Porsche won two WCC and three WDC with McLaren/TAG, hardly a fail :) and yes they do know how to "interpret" a rulebook ;)

Honda won a few championships with McLaren too... :)

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    ha! learned something today.

14. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Only as engine suppliers though.... The money goes to the *constructors* as we know.

Actually, all kidding aside, I never quite understood the TAG moniker. We know the TAG guy put up the money for it, but you'd need to be a serious F1 fan to make the relationship between them & Porsche - I guess it was some contractual thing, but fer sure Porsche never got any mileage from that project.

Cheers,
    Ian

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Mansour Ojeh IIRC

Porsche did get a lot of credit at the time and to this day they proudly present Lauda's TAG McLaren in their museum

16. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Also still owns a substantial chunk of the Woking boys, right?

Fair enough, I stand corrected. Still can't help thinking they didn't have the balls to put their own name on it at the time.

Cheers,
    Ian

17. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The B1 which looks Zonda-ish and the B2 which looks a bit like a bulked up Enzo from the side and like nothing else from other angles.

The earlier referred to photos: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/142310334-post84.html

>8^)
    ER

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I remember that being mentioned in the press at the time. Kinda like if it doesn't work, it was just a consulting job for TAG and if it does, Porsche is back in F1.

Be that as it may, to me it is more important that any car manufacturer has the gutts/$ to participate in F1. I applaud them all, whether they fail or not. Lambo was the laughing stock at the time, but I'm happy they even tried. Same goes for Alfa in the eighties, Jaguar and even Toyota.

F1 is hard, that's why it is F1. Otherwise it would be Endurance racing :p

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I actually think endurance racing is a harder technical challenge. F1 is hard because of the sheer money drain and all the politics and BS.

and when was the last time Ferrari had an overall LeMans win? Oh right, during the Johnson administration. with a North American privateer team, and some dude from Kansas City driving :p :D

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    IMHO F1 is harder because of the tougher competition. That goes for the engineering of the cars as well as for the talent of the drivers.

Even the last car of the F1 grid is in reality a marvel of technology and capable of blowing endurance cars away.

As for the drivers, just look at the winners of Le Mans: Mostly F1 have-beens or never-weres.

Ferrari made a conscious decision to do one or the other. We'd love to see them at both places (mind you, I do like endurance racing, just not as much as F1) but that's not financially viable.
    They made that choice simply based on exposure: Le Mans is a one time event (and nobody follows the rest of the season anyway) whereas F1 is the most watched sport around the globe (except for the World Cup and the Olympics when they're on).

It is all about win Sunday-sell Monday. And with Le Mans that'd be only one Monday a year.

21. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    it is a silly discussion. I am an endurance-guy all the way. I watch F1 too, but enduranceracing takes the cake. Everytime.

22. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think vettel and Alonso are just guys who can't hack triple stints at 2am :p

I do hate the "f1 has beens or never weres" argument, again the politics of F1 is the limiting factor in most drivers success, not their talent.

I'm not an F1 hater, I love the sport, but I think to say it's the only form of racing that matters is ridiculously myopic.

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Totally disagree on that one. Politics is a big part of F1 but in the end $ rules and $ always finds the best talent. Can somebody buy their way into F1? Yes, but not for long. The top guys in F1 are there because of their talent, not their $.

A guy like Wurz didn't make it in F1. Not because of lack of sponsorship but because he wasn't fast enough. Yet he dominates in Endurance racing. I like the guy and was happy for him, but it showed me the talent difference.

I wish all retiring F1 drivers would go to Le Mans. I think that would be great for the fans and much more dignified as some stupid stint in DTM or on a gokart track.

I would never say that. Probably from a development for the roadcars perspective, endurance racing contributes more than F1.

Most racing form matter as they are the building blocks for drivers and teams to the next level. I see endurance racing as the retirement home for aging F1 drivers. Seriously.

24. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    why would that be great for the fans? Any driver who takes up endurance racing and proves to be an asset, will be a hero. No matter where he comes from.

25. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The problem with endurance racing, GTs, Touring cars or any kind of motoracing with multiple co-existing "formulas" is that sooner or later it has to be "BOPed" to survive. In the past the balance of power was more subtle, and now is made in a more evident way, but this brings me that uncomfortable WWEish feeling.

It´s also quite irrelevant for development of technology for road cars, as manufacturers choose the technology they want to sell, not necessarily the best for racing, and then hope that the rules suit them. I can´t think of any recent new technolgy that was first developed for racing; now it´s quite the opposite, the new stuff appears first in road cars, and then gets to motorsports to make them more marketeable (i.e: hybrid cars).

Of course, despite all this crap, I´m still watching and loving it!!