Someone teach me about art? | FerrariChat

Someone teach me about art?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by ken qv, Jun 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Looking for some views and guidance about art. I have always appreciated art, and enjoy museums but cant say i can identify True art or true talent. Ive walked amazed through the Louvre but why is that art work chosen to be there? There seem to be so many talented artists today? Any way to tell if someone will stand out over time?

2. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Forgive me for saying it, but don't think anybody is going to have the cojones to give you a definitive answer on that.

I go ahead & say that some of the absolute best art isn't what will ever be worth anywhere near the top money.

3. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Are there not plenty of "know it alls" that would tell him what they think, right or wrong?

Anyway, Ken, I think the key word is "subjective". For example I've always loved the work of Basquiat, but who would have thought only 35 years ago that one of his works would bring $110,000,000 today?
    Nobody, period.

4. zeroagenow

zeroagenow Karting
    BANNED

Jun 7, 2011
    California
    The trick is to bang the rocks together.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    For me, I don't really like/appreciate paintings. I know they're much better than I could ever draw, but I saw the Mona Lisa at the Louvre and thought, meh. On the other hand, silent films are art to me, and so I focus on understanding, appreciating, learning about those, directors, actors, etc. 10 minutes in an art gallery? Torture! 4 hours of watching "Intolerance"? Bliss!
    My wife loves impressionists, so she seeks those museums out whenever we travel. Seek out what you like, what gives you pleasure in looking at, experiencing, and the opinion of so-called experts be danged...T

6. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    Forgive me for coming so late to this discussion, I rarely dip into this forum.

Ken, you mention visiting museums. Most of them offer talks and courses on art appreciation or art history. Sometimes it's general art history, sometimes it's related to a specific exhibition on display at the time. Many colleges offer part-time courses on art history too.

It's something of a mystery why the Mona Lisa became so famous, but one explanation might be that it stood as a symbol for the Renaissance movement which marked the beginning of modern art, though the painting which gets the accolade for being the very first is Botticelli's 'Birth of Venus' at the the Uffizi in Paris.

I remember attending a lecture at the Tate Gallery in London on an 18th century painting, 'Experiment with an Air Pump' by Joseph Wright of Derby, as the painter is known. The lecturer analysed the painting using formal criteria such as composition, colour, balance; then added art history to place the painting in the context of its time; then added a sociological analysis of the circumstances which would have led an 18th century audience to be painted in such a scene; added a scientific overview of what such an experiment tells us about the state of knowledge among scientists in the Englightenment; and finally, pulled it all together with a subtle disquisition on the possible relationships between the various figures in the painting, in terms of what they represent in an age when social relations were shifting.

All this in a single painting. We were quite spellbound. Not all talks are interesting, but they are worth attending if any artist or art exhibition appeals to you and you are curious to know more.

7. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great movie about "Art", called Tim's Vermeer. Cool stuff about technique.Mike

8. Sprywheels

Sprywheels Rookie

Oct 20, 2017
    Full Name:
    Andrew WIlkinson
    The easiest way to understand art is to learn about the different styles of it, when they occurred historically. For example, "realism" wasn't really a big deal in portraiture until the Renaissance. No one cared who the artist was until then either; they didn't even start signing their work until this period. This stood in stark contrast to the Middle Ages when everything was about religion--now wealthy patrons began commissioning works that presented man as the measure of all things. I'm just going off the top here, but these are some major artistic painting styles and movements you could explore:

Renaissance (ninja turtles)
    Dutch masters (Rembrandt, Vermeer)
    Expressionism (Van Gogh)
    Impressionism (Monet)
    Abstract (Picasso & Braque)

There's a lot more to it than this, but that's a good place to start. This doesn't get much into modern art, which gets a little weird (Jackson Pollock & Andy Warhol, for ex).

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Why in the world did you post that...???
    He asked us to help him understand/appreciate art... not "who doesn't like art"... "who thinks art is torture"??

10. Sprywheels

Sprywheels Rookie

Oct 20, 2017
    Full Name:
    Andrew WIlkinson
    That's kind of the discussion I think it's supposed to create though. It's a subjective experience for the viewer- what the artist has done is finished. That's why it's kind of neat to me is that it's an intensely personal experience between the viewer and the artist, even if that guy (or gal) died a long time ago. I think part of the allure of the Mona Lisa was that a famous artists, da Vinci was famous during his own time, painted some random lady with this curious & evocative expression that is both haunting and alluring.

Pretty sure I need to turn in my Ferrari for a Prius now right? lol :)

11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My point (probably poorly made) was to seek out what you like, and that will define what "art" is. For some it's movies, others paintings, sculpture, etc. and for many here it's cars. If the interest comes from within, then you'll want to learn more, will develop your own tastes, study the history, etc. and through the process develop understanding and appreciation.

That's all. Wasn't trying to be rude.

T

Sprywheels likes this.
  12. Designstar

Designstar Karting

Oct 30, 2010
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    Micheal
    I good start to appreciating art and finding what works for you is to study art history. The reason for doing so is that you'll be exposed to the scope of what humans have created since the ancient cave paintings found in France to the absolute dreck of what is called "art" today.

You'll understand how we got to where we are and along the way you'll find out what resonates in you. You'll understand the insane achievement of the ancient greeks, why the dark ages were dark and why the Renaissance produced the priceless works you see in museums today. Art history will give you context, you'll be able to say, "I like this because...." and feel it. And you'll know crap when you're staring at it because, again you'll have context.

Good luck in quest.

JCR likes this.
  13. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Banksy is currently probably the most famous living artist, this piece of his cracks me up, bc it sums up art for me, look at what the board says

"I cant believe you morons pay for this S**T"

That piece is just iconic to me just bc of what art is and costs haha
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Graffiti... haha back...