Someone rescue 38919 | FerrariChat

Someone rescue 38919

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by GrigioGuy, May 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #1 GrigioGuy, May 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No affiliation, but I hate to see a running one parted out

http://mysite.verizon.net/res1la3r/id81.html

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Parts, my ass! If the rest of the car looks as clean as that interior, and the milage is true, that's not a parts car - it's a future concours winner!!!

3. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    love the color, but the price seems a bit high for a 400i that needs work.

john

4. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    ignoring the shiny paint and clean interior for a second, what is the underneath like with a full exhaust system running to around $6-7000 and suspension refurbs at $550 per corner the costs of puting things right soon mount up
    this car however does however look good enough (from the outside) to save

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It has been for sale for quite some time. It was offered by Bobileff Motor Cars in November of 2004.
    One of these days this series of cars will go for $50k+. So if you have the time and money to fix it....
    The question is, how long will that be?

(laugh) It could be tomorrow. Let's face it we owners control the market. There are less than 200 of these on the road in the US. Lets all list our cars for sale Monday morning for no less than 50 grand. Within a 3 months rough 400's will have a starting price in excess of $40k.

6. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    These cars are starting to look more and more appealing to me as the years go by.

Like it's been said...parts car my butt!!!!!

Belts, brakes and fluids; and then fire it up. This baby wants to be unleashed.

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    There's not much information about the mechanical condition other than the compression test info and the "about what you would expect for a car stored this long" comment, but this seems too complete, too good for a parts car.

Of course it probably could generate far more than $18K if broken up into parts, heck the engine alone would probably sell for that much if it is in good shape.

Someone rescue it, it will be worth a little sweat and money, believe me.

John

8. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG

400's have chains ;)

If it has the normal problems associated with cars stored this long, no doubt means bushes, hoses, exhaust, brakes......all things that very very quickly add up to a complete and expensive overhaul

9. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    oooops.....

10. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    One sale does not a trend make, but the latest Sports Car Market reports that a 1983 400i automatic (s/n 45003) in 3+ condition with 54K kilometers sold for $33,558 at the Christie's auction on February 11 in Paris.

The description said that the car had very good paint, with a scrape on the right door and rear fender; variable panel fit; corrosion between the front fenders and wrap around bumper; seats with a good patina but console sides just look worn; some torn and loose door rubbers.

The commentator said that the car was attractive but far from perfect and that the price would be hard to duplicate in the U.S. Likely the weak dollar has contributed to that price once translated from Euros.

Get 'em now, they may never be cheaper!

John

11. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal

Hi
    John is right.
    I found an url about this car.
    <a href="http://www.classiccarsmagazine.co.uk/auctionlot/by-id/1901973616/">http://www.classiccarsmagazine.co.uk/auctionlot/by-id/1901973616/</a>.
    English text is at the page's bottom. It was estimated 12/18.000 euros, but as says John, it went hammered for much more.
    In my view, these cars should appraise in the next years.
    Remember what people said about a 250gte some years ago.
    The 400 may be less sexy as the other ones, once you experience it you get convinced this car has its full place in a collector's garage.
    The only flaw is that there are many of them, since the car had been produced, in different flavours, during 15 years.

12. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Could be very true. Here in the states, an automatic 400i in that condition would be hard pressed to attract a price of $23K, much less $10K more than that.

Having said that, while driving my 400i this past weekend after too many weeks of not driving it, I can only say how impressed I continue to be with this car, even after owning it since 1998. Every time I get in it and hear the engine explode into life, I get goose bumps. And then as I drive it I constantly marvel at the sensory experience of V12 sound, the turbine like push you into the back of the seat acceleration and the crisp handling that I am getting from a car that is more than 20 years old and that costs less than a Toyota Avalon to purchase.

In fact, for all those who think that a 400i is a big car, that is all relative. It may look large next to a 308, but it still is a fairly lithe and compact car in the world of GTs. While looking at it parked next to my train station commuter Toyota Camry, the Camry looks absolutely huge in comparison.

What a car!

John

13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #13 Marcel Massini, May 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Below are two photos showing 45003 at the Christie's auction during Retromobile at Paris, France.
    COPYRIGHT MARCEL MASSINI

14. Johnny Random

Johnny Random Rookie

Mar 14, 2006
    NC
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Wow if it wasn't so far away it would probably be my first f-car. I really like the color and have never seen a 400 like that arounnd here.

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I hate that color. There was a Celeste on blue 5-speed car for sale in the Eastern US recently...it was sold by the time I saw it listed, but man..that color is nasty.

Celeste belongs (if it even belongs on a car) on a Suzuki Swift or early 90s Honda Accord. Not on any Ferrari....IMHO though.

16. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Novice question here - why would a 'stored' car need a new exhaust? Do they rot from just 'sitting'?

17. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal
    My experience is that on a 400 exhaust, there is that curve below the trunk where water tends to stay, then it rusts from inside.
    Full exhaust was changed for new, it still looks brand new but some years later there is a tiny hole on the right side.

18. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Exhaust gasses + water = corrosion

As well as the rear sections at the back, they also go where the tubular manifolds go from 3 pipes to 1 and the welds around the balancer pipes, manifolds are approx £450 each! and you need 4

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I debated offering Bobileff $10k when he had it since it sat forever.

If it wasn't an automatic...

20. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas

just wondering, but you said there are less than 200 400i ?? in the US? cant be true? is it? whats the total # built? either way, interesting figure

21. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It is true, the number in the US that is. I have the serial #'s of every one here in the states.

I don't recall the total production off the top of my head, but I'm sure one of the other guys will post it for you.

22. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    From Cavallino:

72-76 365GT4 2+2 521 cars

76-79 400GT 502 cars

79-84 400i 1308 cars

85-89 412 576 cars

Total production 2907 cars

23. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    wow, had no idea they were that rare! ha another question, what was the first ferrari model to pass 10K cars built?

24. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I believe the 308 series. 12143.

This of course doesn't include the 208 series. 3133.

Source: "Les Ferrari de route et de reve" by Antoine Prunet.

25. 996TTnoprob

996TTnoprob Karting

May 14, 2006
    midwest
    That is why this old lady is worth more dead than alive, I say chop to keep the rest on the road.