Solid black Veyron | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Solid black Veyron

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by nthfinity, Jul 24, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. K.D.K

K.D.K F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2007
    Destiny
    Full Name:
    Fruit Cake
    I am sure they can retrofit it now :)

2. K.D.K

K.D.K F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2007
    Destiny
    Full Name:
    Fruit Cake
    I wonder why would owners choose all black, wouldnt an interior in a contrasting colour be more interesting?

3. BelfastBoy

BelfastBoy Rookie

Jul 17, 2006
    Bear in mind that I've never seen an F1 or Veyron in the flesh, let alone driven one...

- Journalists' impressions of the Veyron seem to revolve around it being clinical, and almost too easy to drive, despite the mindblowing straightline performance. It's also been criticised for having an uninspiring exhaust note, blunted by the sounds of the turbos and air intakes. Turbo lag seems to be an issue, but even Gordon Murray himself has remarked on how well the Veyron handles and brakes, given its weight.
    - There's an article available for download on Bugatti's website, called 'Superbug' (from UK's EVO magazine), which compares the Veyron to the Enzo, Carrera GT and Zonda. On the assumption that the journalists and owners participating are better than average in terms of driving ability, their impressions are obviously very relevant, especially in comparison with their own cars. Obviously the Veyron left them all for dead in a straight line, but all the other vehicles struggled even on twisty French roads. Why? Because the Veyron seems to handle very well, and inspires confidence due to being apparently very easy to drive. All concerned seemed to consider it clinical, but very fast due to its handling characteristics, grip and on-limit stability. From memory, Enzo owner Paul Bailey remarked that he'd been driving his car as hard as he could, but the Veyron still seemed to be faster. (I know that Paul is a recent addition to this forum, so perhaps he could share his own impressions? I don't have the article with me right now, but it's a great read, and I don't want to misquote / misparaphrase anyone.)
    -Now, the F1. Undoubtedly a stunning car, beautiful to look at, and with an amazing engine. Now, it's well over a decade old, and more recent drivers have remarked on heavy steering, unassisted brakes and lack of cornering downforce as being obstructive factors. Generally, my impressions of this car from articles I've read is that it's very demanding to drive, rewarding skill and respect but definitely not a vehicle to cruise around in carelessly. In other words, it's a vehicle that demands a great deal of the driver, and I'd assume that very few drivers would have the skills to exploit it's capabilities confidently. (In short, it bites. Hard.)

In the real world then, would a Veyron's technology make it faster on a twisty road than the far lighter, but very intimidating, F1? I know that the latter would be the purist's choice, but if it was me, I'd take the Veyron. Why? For someone of my driving abilities, deep down I know that I'd lack the skill to ever feel confident in driving an F1, and therefore I'd possibly enjoy owning it more than actually using it. I'm of the belief that a great car like the F1 should be driven hard, but if I tried, I'd probably end up dead! If you get into trouble in a Veyron, the car's technology and engineering would do all it could to recover the situation, whereas the driver has ultimate responsibility in the F1. However, the danger with the Veyron is that, if you do find yourself in a sticky situation, you'll be travelling so fast that all the computing power in the world won't save you!

4. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
    While I haven't heard one at full tilt, I have heard a Veyron started and driven off. The sound is amazing, a low grumble permeating everything in the vicinity... you immediately get the impression that there's serious power lurking there.

... but what I wanted to ask is - why is this in the SUPER FERRARIS forum??!! Sure, it's a nice car, all more interesting if an all black one pops up, but there's a different place for this discussion on FerrariChat.

5. BelfastBoy

BelfastBoy Rookie

Jul 17, 2006
    Right on both counts - yes, the discussion is clearly out of place, isn't it? In the Evo article I mentioned in my earlier post, someone remarked that the Veyron sounds more like a powerboat than a car. Again, not having been lucky enough to ever see one in the flesh, I can only rely on my impressions from TV programmes and video clips. Based on that evidence, I personally think that the Veyron sounds fantastic - a low, flat, heavy growl that seethes with fierce potential. About seven years ago I was lucky enough to see a vintage 'supercar' in action - I think it was the BRM V16. At full tilt it emitted the best engine sound I've ever heard, somewhat akin to a WW2 bomber, and so loud it could literally be heard miles away. However, when it drove past me, the noise from the side exhausts was at such a frequency that it seemed to pulse right through me, and it was actually on the verge of being unpleasantly painful. I've always imagined that the Veyron would sound something similar. (Sorry for venturing even further off topic, but hopefully anyone who's ever heard the engine note of the car in question will empathise. I'd also like to make an honourable mention for Giacomo Agostini's MV Agusta motorbike - I found it hard to believe that such a tiny engine could sound so good.)

6. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    The Veyron sounds like turbocharged v8's almost in unison... very uninspiring.

7. Ermanno Claypool

Ermanno Claypool Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2006
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Ermanno
    Yeah.

For me too, her design is horrible.

8. kokinos

kokinos Karting

Jan 20, 2005
    Calgary - Merc Rider
    Full Name:
    Chris H
    #58 kokinos, Aug 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    All black with white/silver engine coolers must be a popular option on Veyrons lately. This is one I saw while in Wroclaw Poland a few weeks ago.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Paint the wheels black (no silver lips), de-chrome the door handles and other trim, paint the engine coolers black, tint the windows and smoke the lenses all around and THEN it's solid black. :)

10. Alex1015

Alex1015 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2005
    USA
    Title of the thread got your hopes up I suppose?

11. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    It is said that when Ralf Lauren ordered his Bugatti, he demanded it be Black single tone.... to which Bugatti responded something to the nature of "We don't tell you how to design your clothes, don't tell us how to make our cars"

in the end, Lauren won.... it is only $ afterall :p

12. K.D.K

K.D.K F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2007
    Destiny
    Full Name:
    Fruit Cake
    Nah prefer two tone on the car :)