Soft-top Convertibles are Making a Comeback | FerrariChat

Soft-top Convertibles are Making a Comeback

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Bigilo, Jul 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Hard-top Convertible or Soft-top?

1. Hard-top

35.3%
  2. Soft-top

64.7%
  3. No top at all!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bigilo

Bigilo Karting

Sep 28, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    https://jalopnik.com/retractable-hard-top-convertibles-are-a-doomed-fad-1847221249

I linked to an article basically saying that the disadvantages of a hard-top convertible (weight, increased mechanical complexity) have soft-top convertibles making a comeback. When the current trend of hard top convertible started in the 90’s I thought they were really cool, one of my dream cars is a Mitsubishi 3000 GT Spyder. I totally get what’s so cool about having a hard top that folds away making a convertible when you want and a secure quite interior when the top is up.
    With soft top convertibles the amount of room necessary to stow the top is so much smaller than a hard top mechanism that it really does change the geometry of the car. I’ve had car people ask me if my 360 even has a top at all. Because it’s so well-designed it’s difficult to see where that top would come from upon first glance. The large window showing off the beautiful engine had to be deleted upon introduction of the 458 Spider because of how the top must now be stored when down. Also, much to my chagrin I’ve noticed that the targa top and the convertible version of the new Corvette are almost the same car. It seems to me that the tall buttresses and roll bars behind many new convertible hard-tops makes the car look too tall behind the driver.
    Just my opinion on why the 360/430 spiders are the best cars on the planet.

FatMike and gt1995 like this.
  2. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I’d only ever get a soft top or coupe, hard tops are dumb. However the 360 sees the “increased mechanical complexity” of the hard top and says “hold my beer”. It has more moving parts than the Apollo Space Program did.

3. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    I have been a fan of the hard top convertible
    Perceived higher security, not having to repair or replace a top in the future, larger rear window.

I don’t really care about trunk space.

That being said I bought a Lexus LC 500 convertible last Fall and have enjoyed it a whole lot.

I sold my S2000 in 2005 and missed the open car experience.

The Lexus had enough positives to outweigh the negatives such as the top being cloth for me.

4. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I like the soft top convertible. It is not as quiet, but the compactness, and simplicity of the mechanics are a bigger plus to me. For reference, I have an Afla 4C spider (a removable targa style fabric roof section), and an S2000 (a pretty simple folding cloth power top).

MK1044 likes this.
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This is a tough one for me.

I liked my F430 spider more than my 458 spider because it felt more like a convertible. The 458 felt more like I was sitting down in a tub while the F43o seemed like I was out in the wind. But I did like the hard top function of the 458 and the little window in the back going up and down.

I had a Maserati Spyder that was a true soft top convertible for 12 odd years. I loved driving that car with the top down. I had it down almost all the time. I sold it when the strap in the top failed. The dealer said it was too much $$$ to fix and recommended selling it. So the top was the reason the car finally gave up the ghost. Soft tops do eventually need to be replaced and automatic ones will eventually break. It ain't cheap to replace them.

So I bought as a replacement for the Maserati a Corvette C7 convertible. It was the first Corvette with a power top. But the problem was the visibility out the back and over my shoulder was so poor it with the top up it was dangerous to drive. They didn't put side warning systems on C7's. It was one of the reasons I didn't like the car. I had to ease myself over for every lane change and hope if someone was there they got out of the way. Driving it top up was nerve racking.

Today I have a Corvette C8 convertible. Its a wonder. The top goes up and down in about 12 seconds even when driving 30 mph. Fully electric. Looks great top up and top down. And, it does have a more convertible "open air" feeling than the 458 because of the seating position. Top up or down its pretty easy to see behind you. With the top up, it has a camera that shows everything behind me in the rear view mirror. And it has side warning indicators which even in the 9 months I've owned it have saved my bacon several times.

The motto is -- not all convertibles are created equal. Some are great and some are a PITA.

6. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think it would be hard to do a soft top super car today. They are just so fast and have top speeds so high I don't know if a soft top will hold up?

I still don't know why Ferrari doesn't do their hard tops in CF. It's a great way to keep the weight transfer down between open and closed positions and would fit right in with the Speciale A and Pista Spider.

7. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    To this point Ferrari has limited CF construction to a few special cars

They love to charge crazy money for CF tidbits

I can’t really see them putting the money into a CF folding hard top, though it would be extra nice

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Lamborghini still uses them on the Huracan EVO, so the speed isn’t an issue.

I owned a hard top BMW for 8 years, and it was never the be all end all It thought it would be. It would creak when flexing, rattle on non perfect roads, and not as quiet top up as a coupe. And the mechanism was a 2 piece design which added complexity and fear of failure.

So I guess I would try one again, but wouldn’t be too excited about it.

9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Generally speaking i prefer soft tops, but with my California i liked the hard top as it was my daily driver. but if its a fun car? Soft top.

BT likes this.
  10. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I've had my '97 Z3 2.8 since 2000. Have replaced the soft rear window twice now, and the top it self is getting really quite ratty. Have a replacement top sitting around, but? Will probably sell the car for a couple thousand & the top for a few hundred, and come out ahead of the game versus installing the new top.

Me? I'd be good with a hard convertible top, but my ideal would probably be an older Boxster with a convertible top and the removable hard top.

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    From an aesthetic perspective, retractable hardtops are a challenge. The BMW 3 series convertible, for example, was a mess with too many seams. The e46 version looked classic with its fabric top.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    We have an S Class convertible and it is very quiet and well insulated which are my main complaints if soft top convertibles. I would be all over a soft top like that in an F car...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    2 seater exotics should have hard top while larger 4 seaters better w soft top

14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Definitely true about 4 seaters. The Mondial cabriolet was a handsome open top, IMHO. Later BMWs and Volvos were style catastrophes.

I actually miss the targa/removable hardtop. Not much to fail, and they’re light. I’ve had three of these X1/9, 308, 328 - and my brother had a 911. All ended up being somewhat iconic designs, although the Fiat was maybe less so.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I love my 360 Spider but wish it had a glass rear window like the Gallardo. Heck, my '65 Mustang convertible had a folding glass rear window in the soft top you could unzip for flow thru ventilation.

16. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Miss my 16M, soft top down was sublime. Intricate mechanism and yes there are multiple potential failure points - straps, sensors, etc.
    Funniest most useless soft top was the Murcielago. You had to fold it and unfold it like a tent, it was a royal pain in the ass.
    Targa tops are cool, the CGT top off was also exhilarating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk