Socialite/Murder/Houston - Does anyone remember this story? | FerrariChat

Socialite/Murder/Houston - Does anyone remember this story?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by tx246, Oct 30, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    In trying to trace histories of cars, one always finds interesting twists and turns. I faced a new one today. Can anyone shed light on the story or possibley know more factually?

History:

In 1964, Houston socialite Candice Mossler and her nephew Mel Powers were charged with the murder of Mossler's husband, Jacques. Mel had been living with them when she and Mel started an affair. In a much publicised trial, Mossler and Powers were acquitted of the murder charges, mainly due to an unbelievable defense headed up by the legendary Percy Foreman.

In 1971, Candice married an electrician she met that was almost 20 years younger than herself. His name was Barnett Garrison. They were married for over a year when they became involved in a serious fight in August of 72. Barnett was locked out of the home in River Oaks, went drinking and returned to decide to climb to Candice's bedroom window, three stories up. Needless to say, he fell.

Mystery:

I found out today, that my 72 dino was bought new by candice mossler as a gift for someone. The second owner believed it was for her attorney that had helped her out a couple of years before (Percy Foreman?). Of course, this intrigued me and after a couple of minutes on google, I found a story about barnett garrison in the houston press from 1998. In an excerpt, it reads:

"Candace was still in her room when police told her the news. She became "incoherent," the news stories say. Barnett was taken to Methodist Hospital and placed under the care of the best doctors. For six weeks, he lay in a coma, and when he emerged, Candace bought a Cadillac and Ferrari for the doctors, and took her man, such as he was, back to the lair. "

With this "Ferrari" being purchased in late 72, it coincides with my Dino. I am trying to figure out "The rest of the story...."

Does anyone know anything about this story, the doctor, the attorney, or any other information that could help me out?

2. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    If I was looking for information on this I would Call Harold Gunn in houston )he has a radio show on Biz Talk Radio I don't have his email handy but he has been round H town for a long time and has some ties to the circles you are trying to reach...

Tellem I said hi

Jim

3. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    do you have an address for the house in riveroaks..i love stories about people in riveroaks for some reason....

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Interesting, I'll have to ask my mom about that. I grew up on Pelham & my grandfather had a home on Pine Valley. Growing up in River Oaks during the early 70's are some of my best memories. She knows Houstonian social history very well.

5. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Nipped over here from the Dino forum being nosey as usual! don't know about Rich *****es but i do know that " BORN IN A CROSS FIRE HURRICANE" refers to the fact that Keith Richards was born during the second world war in Dartford, Kent, Uk and remembers the air raid sirens and bombs being dropped all around his area. So now you know!
    regards G.P.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks for that one, Graham!

Salute to our allies across the sea.................and to the Stones. A friend reports from Austin they are finally the old blues men they set out to be!

.And now back to the inbred escapades of the social elite......;)

A lot of electricians can make a third story window, no problem, even after a bottle of Booker's ........I say the Doc was tappin' that azz in the Sleep Room!

That'll get ya a Dino......

7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Candice Mossler, Mel Powers, Percy Foreman, Barnett Garrison, Ferraris, murder.
    You have to admit; this reads like a 50's Dime novel. A cool novel.

8. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Forman was the top criminal lawyers in the Usa in the sixties this was the Crime of the Century... Rich Socialite with a "passion" for young men (many MANY young men...) Daughter (Rita) reportedly hotter than Shiit.. Mother Candice and hubby were on the outs for a long time... He had been living in Florida... Apparently (or so roumer had it) to establish residency there due to their Community property divorce law...

Son Norman was lost in Central America in the late sixties never came back
    Well Jaques ends up dead and Candice and nephew charged and aquitted in a trial that was it's day's OJ trial

If she gave the car to Forman it may have been part of his fee or just a Damn you got me off gift...

Search public records in Florida for the trial info

9. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    alright, i have to admit, this new post is an attempt to not let the idea die, but has anyone heard of this story or know anything?

10. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I asked my mom about Candice & I got a good laugh from her, from what she told me she was a Junior League of Houston member with my mom but didn’t do much with them. One of Houston’s most notorious party girls, that's all I can say for now.

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Houston Chronicle has pretty extensive history files...did you run it by them?

12. tarantula_201

tarantula_201 Rookie

Dec 14, 2006
    I used to work for Mel a few years ago. When I found out about this case I started going to the downtown library to research him more. I found that half of their files on this case were missing. However, there were enough to piece the story of their incestual affair and the murder they got away with.

13. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    time to resurrect this thread as new information has surfaced.

at keels and wheels this past weekend, i happen to meet a mechanic that used to work on this ferrari dino. the car was purchased by candace mossler for a surgeon working under dr. michael debakey (makes sense he would want a dino, as debakey was driving one too). the doctors name was/is "dr. ruhle" - although i am not certain of the spelling.

does anyone know of a "dr. ruhle" that was in houston, or still is, that worked with dr. debakey?

14. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    George Ruel,MD. He is on staff at the Texas Heart Institute. Nice guy.

15. Rexcoltrain

Rexcoltrain Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Cool thread! I love stuff like this. Very interesting how objects like cars and homes are woven into some much history. Keep us posted.

16. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Yes, very cool story!

17. scarlet_racer

scarlet_racer Karting

Jun 29, 2006
    we should turn this into a novel ... "The Dino"

18. 308328LOVER

308328LOVER Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2005
    Lenoir City, TN
    Full Name:
    Thomas Geer
    Here is the rest of the story :

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/family/jacques_mossler/index.html

Actually a great website. I was on this website
    for hours reading these old murders from the
    past. I watched "In Cold Blood" on Classic
    Turner Movie channel about the Clutter House
    Murders and come across this website.

I would say "Enjoy" but it would not be appropriate.

I hope this helps.

Tom in Tennessee

19. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    an update on the story of my dino:

i was finally able to track down the doctor that owned the dino when new. it turns out the story is pretty much accurate, except for a few small details.

candice mosler did buy the car new. she bought it from orange motors in miami (her other home base) and brought the dino here to houston. the blue spyder was also bought with a sister car, a green coupe.

at her annual christmas party in 1972, she bestowed gifts upon the people she appreciated the most for the year. the blue spyder went to the doctor i was looking for in the start of this thread, the green coupe went to dr. debakey, of heart medicine fame.

now that i have found the first owner, i have a new twist. Dr. Reul owned the car for around two years when he traded it to a local "car pool", basically a dealer that flipped through the same cars since there was such a small group of buyers, run by a guy named kurt mocher (sp?) who ran at the time a shop called italian motors on shepard. the shop later became known as monza motors.

does any remember kurt mocher, italian motors or monza motors?

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I saw Dr. DeBakey last month. Sadly, it was at his son's funeral. Barry DeBakey, a gentleman and a fine guy.

Good luck with your search.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Very interesting. Fun to track the history down. My 328 history goes something like middle aged man buys, realizes A/C doesn't work well and it costs 4 digits every mechanics trip, then sells it. Repeat about 5 times and that's the story. :)

22. LGIBSON

LGIBSON Rookie

Mar 16, 2008
    I WORKED WITH CANDACE'S SON- NORMAN'S WIFE BARBARA IN THE LATE 70S, SHE WAS A WONDERFUL PERSON, AND HAD SOME INTERESTING STORIES ABOUT CANDACE AND THE TIMES. I SAW A BLOG THAT NORMAN WAS LOST IN SOUTH AMERICA OR SUCH--NOT TRUE. THEY WERE ALIVE AND LIVING IN RIVER OAKS ( A VERY WEALTHY SECTION OF HOUSTON ) IN THE 70S--ALONG WITH OCELOTS AND FURS FOR BATH ROBES AS I REMEMBER. WHAT A STORY!!!--BARBARA IF YOU'RE OUT THERE--CONTACT ME.--

23. JayR

JayR Rookie

Feb 4, 2009