So... Who's out DRIVING?? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

So... Who's out DRIVING??

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by full_garage, Apr 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    So are any New England area 400 owners planning on dropping by the Open House at F40 Mortorsports in Portland CT tomorrow between 10 and 4?

The camera crews will be there filming for Wayne Carini's "Chasing Classic Cars". Wouldn't it be fun to have several 400's show up and hog some camera time?

The weather is looking promising for a drive! Whattaya all say?

http://72.52.252.138/~f40com/calendar/calendar.php?display=event&id=43&date=2011-May-07&returnto=month

Spring Open House
    at F40 Motorsports
    Starts on May 7, 2011 at 10:00AM
    Ends on May 7, 2011 at 4:00PM
    F40 Motorsports has a Spring annual open house to kick off the car season as the nice weather starts to come. It is held at our Shop at 464 Portland-Cobalt RD. (route 66) Portland, CT 06480. All are welcome, and show cars do not need to sign up or register. It is a first come first "park" basis for the show cars but the doors do not open until 9:30am. The rest of the parking is located across the street from our shop or on the side of the road. Food will be here for lunch so bring a little cash. Wayne and the Chasing Classic Cars crew will also be here filming and Wayne will be available to meet. This date is subject to change due to weather and busy schedules. For additional information please call or email Mike Roberts [email protected] or (860) 342-5705.

2. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    John-

If the weather holds I'll be at the Ferrari of New England open house- probably in the 355 though..

Gotta be some other event this Summer where we can get as many of these cars together as possible- Maybe some Central CT show where we can draw all of the NY/NE cars.

But back to the premise of this thread- 400i is getting the fuel tanks removed to be resealed so the 412 is my Daily Driver this week. Overall the 412 is just a more enjoyable car- At least comparing the 83 400I I own and the 88 412 I own- not exactly apples and oranges but they are very different. The 412 is really the ultimate luxury/performance car- brutally fast on the highway- elegant and smooth enough to gobble up big stretches of highway effortlessly, super comfortable yet that throaty V12 rumble is always right there under your right foot.

Been getting some love for it as well- A couple of honks on the way into work this morning- had to go to the local courthouse for some business and when I came out a small crowd of people were checking out the car- I had to do the obligatory "WOW" factor engine and interior reveals- Since the car is so "Classic" and oddball- people don't treat you like some stuck-up rich guy as they do with the 355, they just seem to really be curious about the car.

But I'm out driving this thing every day of the week- no weekend toy for me.

3. Flinch

Flinch Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2009
    Holland and Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter El Cheapo
    Small drive today in pretty hot weather (for dutch standards). At about 27C or 82F and hot tarmac the tires squeal when giving it just a hint of power. I really love these GT muscle machines! :D

4. Ben_CH

Ben_CH Rookie

Dec 11, 2010
    #29 Ben_CH, May 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Great topic!

Today I finally picked up the 412i at the repair shop and drove it 300 km through central Switzerland. It behaved perfectly and I will take it from Zurich to Lake Como over the Splugen pass tomorrow for a few days holiday in Italy. The Misses drives the SUV with bikes, bagage, surf board, dog, etc., while my two young sons and me take the gentlemen's express over the Alps.

A quick pic of today at Lake Lucerne. I will post some pics of the 412i in Italy next week.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Flinch

Flinch Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2009
    Holland and Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter El Cheapo
    #30 Flinch, May 6, 2011
    I love Lucerne! And the lake for that matter. Those two combined at night still amaze me everytime we visit. Here is a (cappy telephone) picture taken for the roof terrace of the KKL last april. And the road to Interlaken is a big recommendation. Perfect scenery and a lot of tunnels ;)

6. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    wow...that just seems impossibly beautiful...absolutely incredible !

bon voyage!...post more pictures ! please !!!

7. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Brett-

Isn't that your fantasy of owning these cars?? Driving past the alps- My scenery tends to be more of the Home Depot/McDonalds/Highway Exit Ramp variety.

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Did my normal loop in the 365 this morning, got a wave from a gentleman in a restored '57 Chevy (who didn't even try to keep up). :D

9. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Got started a lot later than I originally planned in going to the F40 Open House today because of some work related things that needed to be done under a tight deadline.

Anyway, about halfway to Portland, CT, the skies opened up and it poured rain for pretty much the rest of the way. There were still a fair number of people still there around 2 o'clock when I got to Wayne Carini's place but no Ferraris that weren't inventory other than mine. The ride home was filled with sunshine.

I'll post some pictures later of the Ferrari eye candy that Wayne has in and around his shop. Lots of things to drool over!

10. Ben_CH

Ben_CH Rookie

Dec 11, 2010
    #35 Ben_CH, May 8, 2011
    Righto, pics time: see below.

Started out Saturday morning. Beautiful wheather, filled the 412 up (and the almost empty Cayenne of the misses, after which I proceeded to the cashier's with quite a heavy heart) and drove via Chur to the town of Splugen, at the bottom of the pass.

At the gasstation I has a funny incident: the 412 wouldn't start any more after filling up, after which my wife advised me to take the battery loader of the GPS out of the lighter socket. Obviously I first told her to clear off and not say stupid things, but in the end I got desperate and tried it. And immediately the beast started... How embarrassing. Coincidence or does anyone have the same experience? I will be hearing this for a while...

In the town of Splugen we had lunch and I parked up to a beautiful and almost new looking 1981 Magnum P.I. 308 GTSi from Ticino, the Italian speaking part of Switzerland. The owner loved the 412 and on starting his car up, almost appologized for only having 8 cylinders to make noise with (did sound fine to me). The pass itself was ok, the 412 is quite a big show boat and needs to be wrestled through the tight turns at very low speeds. Oil and water temp stayed nice below the 100 Celsius mark, but driving along snow banks and ski pistes probably helped a lot. On the way down I drove quickly through the flowing turns and had 3 times Italians blinking their left indicator and making space to let me roaring by.

Here in Italy the car is received very well as expected. Thumbs up every where. The car is parked in the front of the hotel and yesterday the famous soccer club AC Milan became national champions, so I post a pic of the 412 in the dark with crazy flag waving Italians passing by at high speed.

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    You guys are killing me. I got to get my car put back together asap. I should have started my projects last October.

12. Ben_CH

Ben_CH Rookie

Dec 11, 2010
    #37 Ben_CH, May 9, 2011
  13. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #38 bundas, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
    please do not stop posting these wonderful photos. they are a dream for me to see. The best i could do was a nice 30 mile cruise in horse country for lunch here in the bluegrass country around Lexington Ky.,my home area

14. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    yup, it most definitely is...and i'm counting on Jan (Kliko) to make that happen for me !

i'd like to second Mitch's request that you keep posting those marvellous pics ! please !

15. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    I have got 2 cars ready to go for you over here ;)

16. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I started a "post pictures of your car thread" I wonder if the mods could make it be a sticky at the top of the section. That way all of these great pictures could be in one location. What does everyone think of that idea?

17. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I like it! Especially if the posts include the serial numbers for historic posterity.

18. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    dude, i'll be there...are we still doing the Mille Miglia route...remember the villa near Verona ?

19. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    You bet!

I'm looking forward to do this one day in the near future.

20. Ben_CH

Ben_CH Rookie

Dec 11, 2010
    #45 Ben_CH, May 11, 2011
    Today we drove from Lake Como back over the Splugen pass to Lake Zurich. The 412 ran effortlessly (although 20 km before getting home it missed a beat twice, but after that ran fine again) up and down the steep and narrow pass. No more light flashing, waves to encourage revving the engine at traffic lights, thumbs up very 15 min, staring looks, etc, now I have left Italy for Switzerland anymore.... What a great car the 412 is to drive in Italy! Hopefully back for the weekend in a few weeks.

Below the last pics for now. Thanks for the kind words guys...

21. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    That reminds me, I need to get a pic of the Fiat 500 with the 365...

22. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    thank you.

23. Flinch

Flinch Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2009
    Holland and Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter El Cheapo
    First time full power after the rebuild! I have been looking forward to this drive for months :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_VhgPnZZAo&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]

24. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    These are some of the best sounding Ferrari's.
    Magnificent!

25. Flinch

Flinch Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2009
    Holland and Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter El Cheapo
    I fully agree Fritz :D Too bad 365/400/412-owners hardly load up any videos to Youtube to share the passion of this amazing GT