So who is going to click "Buy It Now"? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

So who is going to click "Buy It Now"?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by dstacy, Jan 12, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    BAWAHAHAHA Oh man have I got you bull$hitted :D

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #27 Ashman, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
    Reserve price on a 5 speed 412 at $20K even with need for a rear suspension rebuild? Maybe the market really is that bad and this is a screaming buy if you want to get into a classic front engine V12 Ferrari or something is wrong with this picture that we aren't seeing yet.

This would be well worth risking a plane ticket to go check it out if anyone is looking for one of these.

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Lots of speculation here but has anyone bothered to pick up the phone and call the seller?

A friend of mine did and received a pleasant surprise. The owner has had the car for 10 years and has taken good care of it. It sounds like a straight up deal with a decent sounding seller.

You can learn a lot by picking up a phone.

4. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Good point as described with full service history back to importation. But I already have my 5 speed so let the buyers look into this one. Here are the steps: If phone call and follow-up questions and info check out, fly out, look at it, cut deal and arrange ppi. Wire money, drive home. Smile!

Go.

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #30 GrigioGuy, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Yes indeed.

I need to wait though -- working on this instead :D

(and there's some kind of house on the property too...)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm doing the same thing near Centerville, Texas
    Where is your place Till?

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Not my place yet, not going to jinx it :)

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You won't regret it.

We bought our ranch in 2000. We stayed awake for 3 days and made ourselves sick over trying to figure out if it was the right thing to do and how we were ever going to be able to afford it. I'm not kidding. We were agonizing over the decision (which is how it should be, things that come easy have no value). Over the past 10 years we hit a rough spot or 2 and it was tough to hang on to it but we managed.

I admit it, we're grinning ear to ear, we'll own it outright in just a few months. If we were worried about being able to afford it then I can tell you there is no way we could buy it now. The current value, even in this sucking economy, is over 5 times what we paid for it.

9. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Listing just removed from Ebay

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The plot thickens.......

11. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    This is the generic letter I received from Ebay:

Thank you for your interest in this listing:

140373578305 - Ferrari : 412

Unfortunately, the listing is no longer available. We understand that this may be disappointing, but sometimes we need to remove listings to protect buyers.

There are three main reasons why we remove listings:

-- The listing doesn't follow eBay guidelines.
    -- The item isn't allowed on eBay or can only be listed under certain conditions.
    -- The listing contains pictures or words in it that may have created copyright or trademark issues.

If the seller is able to fix the problem and relist the item, we hope you'll consider buying it. For privacy reasons, we're not able to give more specific details

We have other great deals on eBay. Visit www.ebay.com to continue your shopping today.

Thank you,

eBay Inc.

12. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    ...i'm just sayin'...

13. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross

#4 Sale consumated outside e-bay

14. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Based on the description and the report of the phone call, which seemed to check out, and the very favorable price, probably the most likely case.

If it passes the PPI, buy it for less than $25K, budget $4K to fix the rear suspension (there don't seem to be many "minor" leaks, as in a bad hose or a loose clamp, on these!), another $5K for whatnot and you have a nice, sorted 412 5 speed for less than $35K.

You snooze, you lose, even these days!

I wonder if we will hear about this soon from someone on FChat?

Hmmmmmmmm............

15. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    ...because people trying to sell used exotic cars are, by and large, an honest bunch...
    no offence Rob and with all due respect, but you know what i mean, right ?
    if i had a dollar for every guy i know who bought a Ferrari from a guy that "sounded cool..."
    but ended up with a $15K bill to put even remotely 'right'...i'd have like a hundred bucks !
    and that includes the guys who had PPI's by "a good, honest mechanic the seller knew".

when buying a used Ferrari, be as sceptical as possible, because only you lose in the end.
    free lunches are on in one hundred...

exactly...if you're out the door with what needs done for $35-40K, then it's a real winner.

16. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    i knew this guy who bought a lambo sight unseen , got a PPI ........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Gary
    espada

17. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    I purchased my car unseen off ebay. Was told by numerous people to be careful regarding the car. After talking to the owner I just got that feeling that it was a good risk and thank god it came to me looking like a gem! The funny part about it was somebody emailed me stating that the car was previously in a prior accident that showed up on car fax and I should negate the purchase. Turns out the guy was out of town and forgot to bid on the car and offered the owner 5k more than I purchased it for after the auction closed! YOU SNOOZE YOU LOSE!

18. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross

I agree the mention of the leak is odd. If the seller doesn't wish to spend on it unless he knows it's sold this I understand. If it will be addressed before delivery then why even mention it.
    Perhaps he's preparing the buyer for trouble in that area with the sideways mention of it.

19. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

It could also be that the seller wanted to give full disclosure. These are, after all, old cars and as such one must be prepared for larger issues that might arise (or be discovered) from something that appears to be minor or small.

The car is what it is and as a buyer you must do your due diligence or suffer the consequence. It is as simple as that.

Cheers,

Sam

20. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Anyone know what he is asking or his reputation?

21. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I know of him and believe we have spoken in the past. He has been in Ferrari circles as long as I can remember.

He currently has a repro 196S for sale also.

He is not a scammer. I would be comfortable. Trust and verify. With that stack of documents? Find it anywhere else.

22. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    $32,100 for what looks like a very fine car.

23. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    +1 For a 412 5-speed, what a deal!

24. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks pretty nice, no mention of the "small leak" in the rear suspension so maybe simonrandy took care of that.

Wonder if the buyer knows that he could have bought the car in January (with 25 fewer miles) for $8,100 less?