So, what's there to do in LA? | FerrariChat

So, what's there to do in LA?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by GrigioGuy, Nov 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Looks like I might have to fly out there in a few weeks for a day or two. Any must see things in LA? Keep in mind I'll have to ride around in taxis

T

2. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Tillman,
    Where will you be in LA?
    If you happen to come on a weekend, there's a chance we'll have a local drive planned. You are more than welcome to join us there, taxi or not! :) (We can get you into a passenger seat)

Just let me know when you'll be in town and we'll see if there's something going on.

Other than that, there's the usual: SM Beach, Sunset Blvd, shopping in BH (Symbolic Motors, F of BH, Exoticars, Black on Black, etc...hehe), Museums in downtown, Catch a show at the Ahmanson or performance at the new Disney Hall....lots to do!

3. Throttleman

Throttleman Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2003
    Pasadena,CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Ablett
    Don't forget the Getty Museum if you like that sort of thing!

4. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Man I still havent been to the Getty! Ive been wanting to go for a while with my parents but our schedules always conflict with each others! I love museums though!

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    It appears I'm headed to downtown LA on Wed the 19th evening and flying back out Friday afternoon unless things go terribly wrong.

Here's the map of where I'll be

6. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt

If you do not have to stay downtown, then I would recommend another place like Santa Monica or Pasadena. Downtown LA is not like downtown Dallas or Fort Worth. It's scummy and not much to do in the evening.

7. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I was staying at the Hyatt in LA Downtown in July.

Go and find Mc Cormicks & Schmitz, a seafood restaurant. Pretty happening in the evening. GREAT FOOD> The best seafood I have had in my life. I had Tuna something (like japanese style) Exquisit. Actually it was my wife that had the Tuna, I had something else they usually due with Halibut but I had them make it with Swordfish.

I'd say this is a MUST place to eat.
    See if you can stay the weekend and meet with the LA guys. You will enjoy.

8. italcarguy

italcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rimicci
    VARA, Vintage Auto Racing Association will be holding their annual Big Bore Bash that weekend (Nov. 22-23) at Willow Springs. The Historic Can Am and Historic NASCAR seris' will be out there racing all weekend as well as at least 5 other run groups loaded with other vintage cars (alfa's, porsches, triumphs, formula vees, big bore cars, etc.) In addition, 7 current day Trans Am cars and drivers will be there all weekend for an exhibition race on Sunday. VARA expects 200-300 cars. They will be honoring 100 years of Ford, 50 years of Willow Springs, and 30 years of VARA. More info: www.vararacing.com or www.willowspringsraceway.com See you there? I'll be racing my 1968 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. #681 and my brother will be racing his 1967 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super #680 so, stop by if you come up.

9. mbmike

mbmike Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    There's a McCormick & Schmitz (is that really how it's spelled?) in Library Tower (the tallest tower in LA) if you're interested, but I'd recommend against it. To me, it seems overpriced and not all that great. It is popular with businessmen though. If you want some real great food, check out Patina (French), Katana (Japanese) or Chinois on Main (Chinese). Katana is probably my favorite restaurant in LA. My dad ate at a sushi bar the other day called R23. It's in the Warehouse District downtown. He said is was very cool, with good food, and there's an art gallery next door that looks interesting.

Of course, you must come down and check out Manhattan Beach if its nice and warm, like its been the past few days. Of course, it just started to rain about a half an hour ago, so that may no longer be the case. We have a cool little downtown area with lots of new shops and restaurants, and of course the best beach in LA.

10. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I can hook you up with a private tour of Universal Studio-Dreamworks (we also get vip passes so you have more access to the backlot then general admission tourists)

Or come over to our office at Paramount and we can throw oranges at the cast of Frasier. :0

But seriously, there is the whole Hollywood thing, the new Disney Hall is amazing, 3rd street in Santa Monica, Griffith Park hike at dawn (for the athletic), the Standard, SkyBar.

Check out a book called "LA Bizarro", it has fun things to do for the off-beat.

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Bob Hope Building, aye?

12. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    It's McCormick & Schmicks, the one in Portland is pretty good. Just don't order the clam chowder....

Woman Sues Over Condom in Her Clam Chowder

13. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Rule number one: Rent a car. It is either that or stay in your hotel room. You will be able to get a cab at the hotel but you will never return.

Have fun and drive the freeways.

14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    It was touch-and-go until literally the last minute, but I ended up flying out to CA today. I should be free the evening of the 20th and Friday morning if things go well. No rental car, though -- I'm in taxi mode. I'm not that interesting a guy, but if anyone's really bored, give me a buzz. :)

I can be reached at [email protected]