So... What's a really nice 330 2+2 Series 2 worth today? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

So... What's a really nice 330 2+2 Series 2 worth today?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Smiles, Jan 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Well said, Dan!

2. dgrperformance

dgrperformance Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    Actually the last three 365 2+2s that sold via Russo and Steel were in the 90k plus range, one in 2005 and two in 2004. I have personal knowledge of the highest priced one of the three and it is a very nice car but still had issues that needed sorting to drive well. I think the real x-factor here is just plain availability, 5 years ago you could look in Hemmings or FML and see at least a couple project 330s for sale at any given time in the 20k range. Unfortunately the low prices on these cars caused quite a few more to be bought up and turned into GTOs or whatever. The professionals still seem to be able to turn up the occasional car but for the everyday buyer there just are not that many choices. On the bright side the one good thing that may come this time around is that with the added value of all 2+2s people will spend more on them and care for them properly. Who knows how long it will last this go around but I do know every cycle more cars get chopped up to make replicas or to keep the good ones running. Just remember the 330s and 365s are the most reliable and comfortable pre 1970 cars and when properly sorted will do everthing that a Ferrari should do so drive them and enjoy.

Zac

3. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    IMO, the 330 2+2's changing hands are going to:

A. Fair-to-very good examples to longterm "end users" such as myself who haven't the desire or means to trade up, tend to be at least somewhat hands-on, and care for their cars very well.

B. Poor examples to the partout guys.

C. A few A's and B's to rebodiers...someone who is rich enough to spend $500K on a replicar won't worry about $50K one way or another.

D. The most-excellent concours examples to collector types.

Where this puts us in five to ten years is anyone's guess.

4. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    There's a 2.b also - Poor examples to dreamers who are crazy enough to want a 60s Ferrari project car. That said, these then either become good examples or parts cars!

5. 330GT2+2

330GT2+2 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    330gt2+2
    #30 330GT2+2, Jan 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    exactly..Sheehan had a article in the fml a few months ago about the 330's.
    Bottom line...none available..The folks who have them are driving and keeping, not selling.. dealers are paying top dollar for needy examples......when mine is at Norwoods for service, surrounded by all the high-dollar ones, the 330 gets the most attention and offers to buy every time..I bot mine when they "got no respect" a few years ago...Vintage V-12 in the $40's, who cared about the engine rebuild...Mine's set at $85 with Hagertys..How could I replace it with what's out there now??
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. 330GT2+2

330GT2+2 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    330gt2+2
    #31 330GT2+2, Jan 6, 2006
    P.S. The Boxers are next..last of the hand built GT cars..hell with my portfolio...I want to drive my retirement!! Just got it in and it's at Norwoods for Tires, Clutch, and the Zaino mobile detail super duper concours detail including engine and undercarriage...can't wait.

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Those are gorgeous cars, Frank.

I'm not sure I agree. Boxer production totaled 2,314, which is 50% more than the Daytona, more than twice the 330 2+2, and almost seven times that of the 275 GTB/4. Boxers are not particularly rare.

8. 330GT2+2

330GT2+2 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    330gt2+2
    Productions numbers and available examples are two different things..I've been on a hard target search for a few months and unless you go overseas, not more than FIVE available examples for sale that are listed, and only 2 in the 80's range. You can find several examples of 308, 328, 348, Testarossas,but not a Boxer.
    They are not a dime a dozen by any means. And if you wait more than a week or two, the ones in the 80's and low 90's will be gone...
    The absolute bang for the buck with these cars is unbelievable..best ferrari buy under $100k for a V12 GT experience..Daytona may be rare, but not near the thrill ride (in my humble opinion)

9. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    The key is probably if the prices have bottomed yet-It wasn't that hard to see that 330s had hit the low point (you could buy one for the money you'd get for the components alone) and were climbing. I bet boxers have too. If I could fit in a boxer, I'd like one too. In some ways, owning a 330 is still much cheaper than a newer car that is shedding thousands of dollars in depreciation a year.
    The other thing I'd add to this pretty pony party about 330s is while prices have gone up, and the number of for sale cars is low, the number of buyers is probably pretty low too. I found this out during my brief half-hearted attempt to sell mine (my new garage will be great when finished and meanwhile mine is safe and cozy in another dry spot)-not a lot of people that are realistically vintage ferrari owners. Lots of questions about "when were the belts changed?" etc. One or two serious people out there at any one time I'd guess-so we can't all cash out at once even if we wanted to.

10. 330GT2+2

330GT2+2 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    330gt2+2
    I did list mine a few months ago when I started on my Boxer hunt, but I got so many calls from all over the friggin world, not to mention local offers to buy..As I said, it sat at Norwoods waiting on a power window motor rebuild and James would call me every other day with an offer from someone, no questions asked...highest was $79k..got extremely remorseful and decided to rationalize keeping it as only I can..."Of course, honey...everyone has 2 Ferrari's" ....anyway, sure beats my Lucent, AOL, DSS, and other stock market debacles...

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Are rebodies still being actively done?

All the ones I've seen were done years ago.

12. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Just a guess.

13. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    Maybe that is 4 vs 2 headlights (sorry to weasel my comments in about my series 1 into this series 2 thread)...sitting at Norwoods with a general thumbs up from the guys there is probably a pretty potent advertisement too. Maybe Mr Sheehan or Noon can comment if they've seen an increase in interest in these cars, or comment about the rarity of the pre-1970 2+2 focused buyer?

14. 330GT2+2

330GT2+2 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    330gt2+2
    4 headlight cars from dealers are all in the $60's at least. looked at one for
    $50k, but needed everything including the kitchen sink. Look at this months Sports Car Market magazine...under the auction results...author made a comment about one going for $50 and needed tons of work,,he said he had the car pegged for 10k less, and it sold to a DEALER for that price..said he may need to rethink the value of these cars.

Happiness is a 12 cylinder, no matter how many headlights!

15. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Do you think that it breaks down by Boxer sub model? I mean, I think that the 365BB will get much stronger much faster, with only 387 made, while the later cars may stay lower longer - particularly as the 365bb is eligible for most US vintage events (New England 1000 etc.) while the 512 is not. Thoughts?

Alex

FULL DISCOSURE: I own 365BB #18265 (and dino #10704 & 400i #049773)

16. 330GT2+2

330GT2+2 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    330gt2+2
    there's a 365 at motorcar gallery for 98 big ones..I wanted a carbed version at first, but only two examples out there and both needed attention but were priced in the 70's..Best examples out there are the injected ones (right now)carbed or no, the Boxer is still the last of the hand built GT car, and for under $100, a great buy..regardless of production numbers.

I'll use the 330 for vintage events, but the Boxer I must say, I enjoy as much or a little more than my 96 Twin Porsche for just tooling around. smooth power delivery, drives straight and true. and the sound! the sound!

plus a fabulous Pioneer stereo and equalizer! it's state of the art....

17. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Alex,

I don't know if they will take off, but the 365BB is on my wish list.

Jon B.,

If you get too frustrated pass it along to one of the suckers (me included) on Tomyang.net. I for one would love another project. Just keep it away from Tom S.! By the way, one of your old bosses in Hopewell is lusting after my car.

All,

By the tone of this thread, the 330s are the next to take off!

Regards,

Art S.

18. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    Hi Art,

Sorry, but I'm loving every minute puttering on my Barn car, no remorse! I do get spooked every now and then when folks (ahem) throw out these 70k to restore numbers, but I don't pay myself for my shop time, so I should be OK.

Actually, TomS was the next highest bidder on it, way back when, and since then I've contributed to his 50's Ferrari addiction in my own small way.

My old boss in Hopewell - Paul? now at Princeton Lotus? He always had great taste in cars! Or is it Jerry? Say hi for me.

I'm pretty happy the 330 tide is coming in finally, not that I plan to sell, but it does help a little when I add up what I've spent.

Cheers,
    Jon

ps. I love the Boxers too, I just hope when the time comes, Mr Shaugnessy will be dragging _those_ out of barns for guys like me.

19. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Frank,

Absolutely gorgeous red 330 !!

20. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Sorry to join this late guys: The oft quoted 1000+ manufactured total for the 330 2+2s, in fact combines two very different cars, the (two headlight) Series II, of which there were 474 made, at best today there are 250-275 survivors, and the (4 headlight) Series I, which ran for 625 cars and their survival rate is even less. Michael Bayer 330GT #9727 & 365GTC/4 #14947

21. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This may not be totally accurate, it's been at least a couple of years since he told me, but Kerry Chesbro has around 650 total known Series I and II in his register, including 45 or so rebodies. He guessed that there could be another 100 or so unknown cars out there worldwide.

The manufactured total was closer to 1100. I don't know how many of the survivors in Kerry's list have ended up as parts cars.

Frank: "nice pair", the 330 is truly outstanding.

22. 330GT2+2

330GT2+2 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    330gt2+2
    thanks! Came from Heritage Classics in Calif. a few years ago..Nice to get in when they were languishing. Can't believe the ride up in the last couple years.

23. 330GT2+2

330GT2+2 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    330gt2+2
    #48 330GT2+2, Jan 7, 2006
    thanks...#7859 It's in the 330 registry with some history...best part is it needs nothing! what a concept! The Boxer is getting a clutch now and am in process of putting a Tubi or something on as the stock exhaust is sitting on the floor, no better time to make some noise! That flat 12 needs to "let em out and let em breathe" -factory exhaust is not even close to obnoxious, way too quiet. As said before in a thread--If you drive a Boxer, you will have to buy one....

24. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    Frank, did you buy the metalized light blue car with the black interior? If so I looked at that car on the ay to buy mine and wnet to visit it's previous owner, Sam. Very nice car if that is yours. Best, Yale

25. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City

Ah just wrote this before you posted the photo. Nevermind. Yale