So no one wants a manual | Page 8 | FerrariChat

So no one wants a manual

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by boxerman, Mar 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN

As I have just wasted my time reading this entire thread I have a request.

Please go back and edit your original post. At the very top please state:

"It is IMHO that manual cars are best, and if you disagree with my opinion I will write a novel explaining why your opinion doesn't matter and why my opinion is the correct opinion."

Please and Thank you!

2. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    #177 nicholasn, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    By that argument, the only reason to buy an automatic transmission is to accelerate (marginally) faster, which as many others have already pointed out, is completely irrelevant on normal roads. I can almost guarantee that you will not be able to tell the difference between a 0-60 run of 4.0 seconds flat in a DCT car vs a 0-60 run of 4.3 in a real manual car.

I skip shift because it saves fuel and reduces clutch/transmission wear during normal driving. 99.9% of my (and almost everyone else's) driving involves normal acceleration and deceleration, so there's no need to go rocketing away from the light each time it turns green. If I'm driving more spiritedly I'll go through each gear, but most of the time I go from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 5th (I'd skip 2nd if the gearing allowed me to).

It's the exact same reason why I downshift from 5th to 3rd or 5th to 2nd instead of going from 5th into 4th into 3rd into 2nd; less wear on the clutch and transmission, and less fuel consumption.

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Do yourself a favor, dont waste your time, get a DCT, the 1/1000 of a second you save on each shift will make up the time you wasted reading this entire thread..

4. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Why don't you buy a DCT, learn how to drive it, and then report back with an unbiased opinion in a couple years.

5. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Like sarcasm much? :D

6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Agree 100% with post 168. In order to save thirteen dog from a heart attack I didn't quote the text :)

7. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I'm looking for a new dd with a manual and found Canadian Subie Legacys offer a 6 speed. Unfortunately the 6 cyl is cvt only.
    I wonder how they decided to offer Canucks a clutch but not our friends to the south. Our winters possibly?

8. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I run an IT Department. Kind of comes with the territory LOL

9. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Stupid, outdated, inconvenient, and expensive governmental regulations. I'm pretty sure it costs millions upon millions of dollars to certify each engine/transmission/drivetrain/etc combination in the U.S., whereas from what I've heard Canada and Europe are more streamlined, so automakers aren't as subject to such difficulties while developing each powertrain.

The only reason most automakers still go through the expense of certifying manual transmissions for their cars in the U.S. is either because in very rare instances it has a somewhat substantial take rate (think VW GTI, BMW M3, etc) or gets better fuel economy with the manual transmission (something like the Mazda CX-5 where it gets 26 city/35 hwy with standard 6MT and 2.0 vs 25 city/33 hwy with 6AT and 2.5), allowing them to advertise best-in-class fuel economy.

If people were required to learn how to drive a manual in America before getting their license we'd have much more to choose from regarding true manual transmissions. Most of the countries in Europe require this, and consequently you can get Range Rovers with manual transmissions there. But unfortunately the rules are worse here, so we don't have much to choose from anymore.

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #185 boxerman, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    The use of a manual in the USA is different to many other countries. In the USA its now a "performance experience" option on high end cars, not an economy option on low end cars. its something to entertain with. The rest of vehicles find some form of At easier to use and better fuel economy.

Its like PS is easier to use, just not as engaging or fun as a non assisted rack. Going further eps is a inferior drive experience to a great hydraulic ps but fuel economy regs and ease of manufacture means we we see few hydraulic ps units offered.

I also love all those cars with ceramic brakes, because they reallydo make a difference on the street?(sarcasm) And no one I know seriously runs ceramics on track. So its a F1 he look at me brag tech.

If manufacturers can shove the easy option(paddles) down the sportscar enthusiasts throat under the guise of being better they will. Faster by a few 10ths is not necessarily better.

That any manual are offered on high performace cars indicates there is a core group who insist on this. From an emissions fuel economy and paper number perspective paddles win.

As to the quip about learnign how to drive paddles, I can say learn how to drive a stick and something more dynamic than a chrsler crossfire.
    BTW does a Mp12 count as paddles? Wonder why I went with stick, it was my mp12 458 experience that convinced me to spend on more an stick car gain.

Yeah paddles are great for an rs3 daily driver. You can sit in traffic all day long and occasionaly when the opportunity arises self shift.

But hey I use a digital watch to tell the time, its far more convenient and accurate, but many here love a mechanical watch, why is that.

Perhaps its an emotional and experiential thing that trumps pure function. If function is everything then even if you want fast car for the street, a m5 or amg merc is going to be unbeatable on street, so why do people buy slower 911's? Or highly styled car like a corssfire. Cars are experiential and emotional, otherwise just buy a corrola, which most do.

If you dont drive a manaual on an open back road, you are missing one of drivings great joys.

A paddle is to me like a blowjob, it works efficiently and requires very little input. But somehow it misses a whole lot of what comes from the ineterplay of getting down and dirty in interaction, each feeding off the other. From what I read most prefer a blowjob, possibly they lack the talent will energy and effort for more. Or maybe if you spend most of your life stuck in traffic, and you dont have the opportunity to wind it out and work it down a long sinuous road "paddles" just work best for you. Two arguably similar yet in the end different experiences.

On track, there is no doubt that a paddle is faster, the sheer speed and intensity of a paddle on track when driven properly makes it every bit the expoerience of a manual, and in some ways arguably more. The speed into and out of corners, the magnification of concentration in terms of eyes and hands on a paddle is greater on track. But then a manual offers an equaly full if slightly slower experience on track by introducting more elements. On track to me its choice. On backraod its manual hands down, in traffic its at.

There are very few drivers who have the skills to fully exploit on track what a paddle has to offer. But yeah it can make a average driver faster, it also can hold you back.

11. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    #186 nicholasn, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  15. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
  16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Next-Gen Porsche 911 GT3 to Once Again Offer a Manual Transmission | News | Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog