So no one wants a manual | Page 7 | FerrariChat

So no one wants a manual

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by boxerman, Mar 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Manual trannies can be fun but electronic throttles are crap. Can't avoid electronic throttles nowadays because of reasons why carmakers use them. :(

We're stuck looking for older cars which can present no-warranty, maintenance issues as well as a host of other undesirable things.

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I have found that electronic throttles(drive by wire) are just a computer remap away from goodness.
    The way cars are tuned, for fuel economy and emissions on a test cycle means electronic throttles may have lag or leave the car feeling lazy, powerbands are also narrowish with dips.

Its simply a matter of correct fueling and timing to set things right. Not every computer remap gets it all correct, in fact most adjust too few parameters and just open the throttle quicker..

On my e46 M3 I spent the first 4 years wondering what all the fuss was about, power came on high in the rev range and tapered off. the car had noticable aero drag at 120 and put on speed relatively slowly thereafter.

While most remaps just quicken throtle response and fiddle with a few bits, a full remap will redo fuel flows, timing, throttle opening rates, temperature adjustments etc.

The result was maybe 10% power gain but thats only 10% of the story. What happened in terms of driving was an infinitly smoother motor. Proper throttle response, Torque comming on strong at 3500 rpm as opposed to 4700, and a hp that seemed to grow all the way to redline. Where before I had used 2nd gear for a cornrer the car was equaly fast and responsive being left in 3rd. Where aero drag slowed things above 120, the car now easily blew past 140. 6th gear felt like 5th in terms of response and was actualy useable.

Headline number changes 10% but instead of narrow peaks and dips the power range was consistent and broad, frankly the car felt like it had an extra 150 hp so great was the transformation.

Moral of the story, for various reasons factory tuning on many cars sucks and is a compromise, a remap unlocks the potential dialed in. Like tire or pad change to me a remap is a must.
    Did the same thing on the elise, which stock imo runs lean, the stock cam changeover also makes no sense. Now the lotus too has throttle response, additionaly the 2nd cam changeover is now at 5700 rpm which means that you dont drop out of cam/power when going from 3rd to 4th. Maybe the hp is the same but the car significantly better.

All that being said, I admire the e46 m3, but in the end like many a modern it is a bit too anodyne.

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well, you know a whole lot more than I do about remaps. ;) When I had my e39 540i sport all we had were Dinan chips and I wasn't aware that they did anything for electronic throttle response. My car was serviced by the best people in town and I was on the Roadfly forum for years ...didn't come across that discussion - I could have used you on that forum. :)

I do not like cars that are too easy to drive as they do not challenge the driver to learn anything about cars or driving. That's why I liked the 540i sport, it was somewhat of a handful to fling around but it would tempt you to all the same... with that wonderful V8, and a 6MT that was good enough. There was plenty of top end from that engine and the car became a freight train once you approached Autobahn speeds. It was simply meant to go that fast so I was always tempted to make that car do things that were a bit challenging given its deficient steering, throttle and tranny.

I think the interesting and enjoyable cars all pose serious challenges but are so overwhelmingly charming or endowed in some areas that enthusiasts simply can resist the temptation to own them and try to sort them out, tame them and learn lots in the process. Other cars that pose no challenge, as fast as they might be, are SO BORING and not inspiring or worth the bother. IMO, driving pleasure is not about owning the perfectly-designed car, its about learning to bring out the potential in a challenging but inspiring car. In that regard, manual transmissions give their drivers that extra bit of control in the pursuit of mastery.

I agree the e46/e39 era produced a lot of anodyne sausages. Last time I looked they were still doing that. My car looked OK but was an underachiever in that department. It was the M62B44 that I was in love with. ;)

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #154 boxerman, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Agreed on the e46 anodyne, yet today its lauded as having great moves in comparison to the new one. Perhaps the last really great drivers 3 series was the e36, not surprisingly we see many as track cars today.

Taming a car, yes spent today at the track inthe Gt40, it had no problem digesting a new vette and cayman. Second day at the track in the Gt40 Each lap I kept on learning ways in which I could go faster. Probably years of learning and improving such are the dynamics and secrets of this car. Once I break 2:10 at the Glenn then maybe one will start getting there. I know of one expertyly driven Gt40 that broke 2 mins.

For comparison a well driven but not pro 997 GT3 4.0 was breaking 2:15.
    All of which is to say that the driver is THE key componant, and all these paper specs of moderns are interesting, but its much more fun to learn to drive somehtign alive to its limit.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #155 4th_gear, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My favourite German cars were the e30 and the shark-nose e28, e24 and e23. They had an edgy look about them without being ugly, had wonderful cockpits and could entertain with inspiring driving dynamics if you so desired.

That's really impressive! Maybe you can determine which parts of the course you can most easily improve your performance to break 2:10. The GT40 looks wonderful and I think its inspiring driving dynamics reflects on its breeding, which as you pointed out, had placed a greater reliance on driver input than gizmos... stuff that just gets in the way between you and the car. Isn't that what the preference for a manual transmission is about, deleting the stuff that numb the important senses?

BTW, I really like the livery on your car. Can you tell if this one is authentic or a replica?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #156 boxerman, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    It looks like it could be a recreation car, I say that because the period builds did not have the eyebrows above the doors. Those are newer street wheels, and the paint scheme is not quite period correct. But then other elements look period orig. Hard to say as most origionals are really newbuilds by superformance or gelescoe with period bits and period chassis plates, plus any race car from the 60s that has been run on track has had numerous alterations and restorations. Based on one photo, could be either.

Superformance cars are built under license from the Gt40 type holders, hence having chassis numbers that begin with P2.... as opposed to 60s built cars whose chassis begins with P1...

The other differences are that all superformace cars have the stronger Mk2 tub even if wearing Mk1 bodywork as above. The suspension uprights are aluminum as opposed to magnesium, disks are vented willwood units as opposed to solid girlings and switchgear is very similar but not exact. So basicaly a new build of the same car as built int he 60s.

From there completion may differ. many built for the street run a bored and stroked 351 to 427cu and even have FI for fueling. In period they were either 289's or 427 FEs on Mk2's.

New build race or track cars need to comply with historic race rules and in USA run a 302 block(basicaly and evolved 289) and are carburated, but you can run aluminum heads.
    All continuation newbuilds run the same zf transaxle as in the 60's.

In period the highest hp quote I have seen for a 289 was about 425 hp. Nowadays a worked 302 is going to be in the 550 to 650hp range with alumninum heads, but you need to spin above 7k to get there and use really good bits to keep it all together.
    If you historic race your GT40 in europe it must have a 289 block and iron heads, but unlimited budgets get the same power levels.

For comparison a bored 351 stroked at 427 cu will be about 550 hp but mega Tq all at low maintanace lower revs of 6200 ultilising inexpensive internals, however you cant historic race, and you gain about 100lbs mostly on the top part of the motor, the heavier internals are also slower to rev, but tq is massive. Great for a street car.

At last years Goodwood historic revival where the Gt40 was celebrating its 50th anniv there were a number of new build by gelescoe and one or two from superformance, all built to period spec and accepted by the FIA and Goodwood to race in the historic revival .

In reality Its highly unlikely that any currently racing GT40 is runnign its orig 60s tub or bodywork, superformance and gelescoe having a good trade in supplying replacements.

The tubs on these cars are built much like an aircraft wing with ribs to which sheetmetal is riveted making a very rigid monocoque. If you figure that in the 60s there was no rust protection in any of the sheetmetal or ribs and that the tub has numerous voids its not hard to undersand why there was massive internal rust within the voids between ribs within years of manufacture.

Restoration requires a new tub, and bodywork being fiberglass and raced is unlikely to have survived 50 years either.

Superformance was sent a period car to restore, they used the dismantled pieces of the old rusted tub as a pattern, made digital blueprints of each part. Thats how they got started int he Gt40 buisness, given the accuracy they got the type holders to license their new builds.

Perhaps one of the greatest examples of an automotive GW axe is the lemans GT40 sold last year for $11 million. thsi is a car which in period had its roof cut to become a camera car and then it burned competly to molten blobs. It or some pieces of it were "found" buried in a junkyard and it was "rebuilt", basicaly new tub and bodywork with period correct switchgear and block to which the period chassis number was attached.

Point is today you can get the same car as won lemans numerous times int he 60s for under 200k, just without the period chassis plate and enjoy to suit, this includes historic racing if you build to spec.

If you are into older cars, analogue driving and being on track, this is imo a combo impossible to beat. A 60s lemans car to play with. Kindal like being able to buy a licensed new build 250swb for pennies on the dollar.

The livery on my car is what I would call period style, but no GT40 int he 60s ran that scheme. I just liked the baby blue and the race stripes so did my own thing. Being an inauthentic paint scheme means it should not be taken by any anoraks as trying to fool someone that its a period 60s build.

7. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Porsches are appliances. I use a thirty year old one as a daily driver.

I can totally understand Porsche dropping manual transmissions from their line up almost entirely. Ferrari? Not so much.

Porsche could keep a manual Boxster/Cayman for those who want the experience, but move the 911 away from a manual entirely.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think porche is figuring how to segment their client/market further. Offering 95% appliances and adapting some platforms to offer anologue passion.

Ferrari has become the BRAND company, they have been so rich in customers why even bother offering segments within a model line, after all its a lot of extra work to run a second transmission choice through regs and does not necessarily gnerate extra margin. If you are production/supply limited and your bulk client base does not care they figure why bother.

The reason to bother is that brands are built on perception and credibility. If you dont have a driver core in there somewhere your brand ultimatly suffers. That is unless ferrari figures some drivers will just buy their cars despite having no choice and F1 gives it all the spurious cred it needs.

Now maybe that sweater man is running ferrari, and now that the FIat colossus needs more profit, ferrari willl look to more sales. Easy way is to offer segmentation within a product line. So maybe we will see the 488 purist edition with manual.

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Based on some coments elsewhere it could be orig, but who knows from one photo, thats how good recreations are and how much varistions orig cars had.

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    ... appliances that won Le Mans this year.

A Camry is an appliance. A 911 is still probably the winning-est model of sports car in the world, especially in GT3/RS form. Maybe the finest sports car on the planet.

I can completely see Ferrari dropping the stick shift -- they're supposed to be the fastest marque in the world. They aren't Morgan, and they can't afford for Porsche to walk all over them on the track and in the road test/showroom scene. Formula 1 was the reason Ferrari existed, so it would be bizarre to build their money-no-object cars to be slower.

Regarding three-pedal or DCT, the move to 7-, 8- and 9-speed gearboxes is going to make the lever sprouting from the floorboards hard to continue. Four gears was fine in 1956, when my Porsche was built, but when you get beyond six speeds it's a hopeless mess of an interface in a performance car.

The Boxster/Cayman are downmarket from the 911, but ultimately Porsche can't afford to handicap them with the limitations of the old lever configuration. No one wants a brand new slow Porsche.

That's why we have classic cars -- carbs, pedal-actuated clutches, mechanical gauges, etc. -- for those who want the experience and not so much the performance.

11. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    If performance trumps the experience then you should be arguing for the car with the highest performance, full stop.

Make it performance for a given budget and Ferrari might as well stop making cars altogether. Your $200K will always get you around the Nordschleife faster in something else.

These are all street cars. They've always been about the experience. Those few that are driven competitively at the track do so in classes contrived specifically to justify their participation. Let's not pretend that a Ferrari or Porsche, old or new, is a solution to any real problem other than how to have fun driving a car.

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

very well put.

13. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Could not have said it better myself.

14. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Stick shifts today remind of retro sneakers. Cool for lounging, but if you're playing a sport to win, and to push yourself, you'll find them a handicap. (And I gave up my cool wooden tennis racquet a long time ago.)

Why is that relevant? Because a modern Ferrari or Porsche (especially the 488 GTB, LaFerrari, or GT3 RS) is a car you buy to drive fast. Whether you use that potential or not, huge money and engineering goes into paring those last ounces away and managing airflow around and under the car. Both companies have teams working on shaving those last seconds off lap times, regardless of whether the eventual owner tracks the car or just trundles over to cars and coffee on Sunday. Motorsports companies do that. That's what they are. (Full stop.)

I just don't see a proper Ferrari going backwards, technologically, just because it flies in the face of the brand and everything they've been doing with regard to developing their cars. And, more pragmatically, because they sell every car before it's made right now...

It's possible they could revive the Dino as a downmarket brand and hold back on some of the tech (and limit the number of gears). That might separate the hardcore performance crowd from those who don't care about 0-60, top speed, etc.

But today you can go to a Porsche dealer and you can order either a three-pedal or PDK in any Boxster, Cayman or 991 (other than the high performance GT3s). People still pay thousands more in order to take the PDK by a huge majority, and Porsche buyers probably have the most active club and motorsports scene of any marque, and may be the most traditional -- still buying rear-engined cars after 52 years. Even if they have radiators, the horror...

I guess I just don't see modern Porsche sales (and especially Ferrari sales, because they're consistently sold out in advance...) bearing out any sort of widespread grief over three-pedal manuals. As longs as those of us who are too old for racing and too young to hang up our keys are still interested, three pedal manuals will still sell in small numbers. But outside of car boards and gearhead videos, the grief is pretty hard to find. As has been posted here many times, car makers produce what we ask for. Even the California, which was widely ripped on FChat, seems to be a bestseller for the company -- point being that we're kind of on the fringe here when it comes to opining on what the world cares about when it comes to cars.

15. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    ... or perhaps we're on the fringe here because we are car freaks who like to actually drive them. Let's face it, many buyers of Ferraris and other glam cars buy them as trinkets to demonstrate they have "arrived"; how many I don't know. Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Rolex, Ferrari each demonstrate this possibility. This doesn't make the product less good, but it does slant the R & D and future products to that buyer segment. BTW, I have no stats to back this up; it's merely my visceral guess.

16. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    AS mentioned this subject is almost at its use by date.. i lost interest at page2..

17. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    ... but you're still reading and commenting!

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yet the stats you have provided elsewhere belie your contention. The cayman Gt4 is the "highest pererfroming" cayman its stick only, is totaly sold out before first deliveries and this one "option" has single handedly doubled cayman sales. Its a runaway sucess, even togh a lesser model with paddles may go 0-60 faster.

A 997 Gt3 sells for more now than new, and more than a 991 Gt3 yet its just 2 years old, normaly superceded cars sell for less than the improved model..

The difference. The 997 gt3 and Gt4 are models aimed at people who value driving and the experience of it over other factors. Its a core audience, the type that built porche. What do i mean by driving, well speed control vicerla experience, a connection tot he machine, where it tlaks to you and there is high dgree of inetraction, This is a demographic that is more than happy to give up sound deadening, ride suppleness convenience, daily comfort for a more pure and harder drive. Its also a demographic that values durability esp on track over the last few tenths.

So what we dont see is these people paying significantly more to to have PDK or 4ws. They pay more for a used Gt3 and more for a new GT4. Its also not an insignificant market.

BTW Ferrari is not sold out significantly in advance, in fact they "volontarily" reduced production to "maintan exclusivity" In other words prior limited production levels were not sustainable, because well there are only just so many wnabees and fashionistas, and its a notoriously ficlkle crowd.

Ferrari would do well to explore the performance niche of a viceral durable and fun to drive car. Porche seems to be doing it with increasing vigor.

We drive for fun and speed. On the speed quotient, just look at the specs on a manual z06 and relaize that any performance given up is irrelevant, but the loss in expoerience going to a paddle is great.

Tech is great when it adds to the experience, ie more powerful smoother powerplants, light weight, great brakes, betetr steering, cooling, ac etc, when it dilutes things then there is a loss for those of us who drive.

A paddle is convenient in traffic, its "faster" on track. Many of us dont buy stortscars ti drive in traffic, they are for recreation. As to the track, few go there, but those of us who do regularily can observe a few things. If you are serious about track then any number of cars are going to be way faster than any streetcar regardless of transmission choice.

To the extent you drive a streetcar on track, and many do for various reasons, the manual gives little to paddles, but losses much in the experience/challenge stakes, and drivign a street car on track is pretty much only about expoerience/challege, because a street car is by definition slower.

Why would a serious driver give up a big part of what makes a sprtscar so much fun, just to have convenience in traffic and some spurious bragging rights?

A modern ferrari for 99% of users is a highly stylish lexus, same for many porches.
    The smart companies have figured or are figuring out how to make products for the 30% core enthusiast. You know the 30% core who buy vettes in manuals, the 40% who buy BMW m cars in manauls and the 50% of cayman buyers who frankly wouldnt buy a cayman but for the manual Gt4 option.

If you are sellign sprtscars, then yes the "majority" of buyers will be poseurs by definition, but you need to serve the core too, firstly because its a good and worthwhile market, and also because without the core ultimatly your brand losses street cred. Well maybe ferrari can maintain pseudo F1 fanboy cred from grandprix.

I think Chevy will be limiting its market if the mid engined vette is paddle only.

19. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    At that point will you even want to use the paddles? You can skip shift in proper manuals (I drive a five speed regularly and rarely use fourth)....couldn't do that with a DCT. I would think that shifting through so many gears, even with paddles, would get redundant after a while, and might actually encourage complete poseurism by popping it into automatic.

I do agree though, six speeds is the best balance between ease of use and performance. Only three gates to navigate through, so it's not as easy to shift into the wrong gear as it would be in a new Corvette or 911.

20. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
  21. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The reason people skip a gear in three-pedal manuals is the time it takes to shift, sacrificing performance for convenience. If a gearbox is set up correctly, you should be marching through the gears in sequence.

22. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    How can this be? Judging by this and other threads, manuals have a huge following. BMW has made some huge miscalculation surely.

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

The real reason quoted was fuel economy, easy to do with DCT. The article also refers to the huge manual fan base which they dont want to alienate.

car companies like some here want us all to love DCT but while its the easy option to many still want manuals for it to easily dissapear..

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #174 boxerman, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    Right so everybody exploits the DCt max accleration performance everytime they acclerate away from any stop or slowdown?

People skip gears on manuals specifiacly when they are going slower because if you are not going all out its convenient and approprioate, especialy if you are one with your machine and can judge the ammount of power speed and revs required to execute a less than 10/10ths manuever. In other words for recretaional driving mnauals are all the more engaging of the driver hence their appeal, whereas a DCT is faster on paper for the majority of people who dont really "drive" and need bragging rights. Yes DCT is quicker on track, although that is a relative irrelevancy for most track drivers in a street based car simply becuase in many ways their skills are not up to it in many other parameters. For a Street car a DCT has better fuel economy and works traffic well, most people drive in traffic and sort of floor it here and there on occasion..

Was at the track this week, a DCT equipped 991 in the right hands is a pretty epic machine in terms of outright track speed, and its still a commuter car, but then so is a manual z06. Thing is thet 991 DCt is a not an epic and engaging backroad machine, and is the extra speed on track and convenience in traffic worth the tradeof, for 70% yes for 30% no. Just as most people prefer a comfortable sedan a Gt car or even suv to an inconvenient lower riding possibly less comfortable sports car. Priorities.

25. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    I love a Manual. I love an auto (classic, paddle) too. I am not bothered what the car is equipped with, as long as the overall driving experience is there.

My daily driver, a MB C300 has a 6 speed manual.
    Usually I start in 1st, then go to 3rd, then 5th.
    It has enough power and torque to still be quick.
    I wish they introduced a 3 speed (forward) manual with an selectable Overdrive