So...Ike is one big bastard | Page 8 | FerrariChat

So...Ike is one big bastard

Discussion in 'Texas' started by MobileJay, Sep 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Imagine BOTH cruises that were out of Galveston at the time...ALL customer's parked cars were lost to the floods, there's a lot of upset folks about that.....apparently they were not letting folks "cancel" the bookings before the storm, so you got a hck of a boat ride AND your car washed away!!!

Remember Niptuck, we saw them all parking, as I dropped you off?????

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I was referring mainly to the cleanup with Jesse and Rex but all is good if you got that taken care of also.

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Roger...still no word..........Galveston still "closed" and from what I read, getting smelly FAST!

As I do not have up to date 'shots', I may pass..........

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    From what I understand the island will not open until Wednesday, I couldn't begin to imagine the smell of that place.

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Come by JCR, you can jump in the pool, and help me in the garage!!!

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I can, but only because my project is next to the Richmond, TX WWTP....:)

7. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    I might take you up on that. I'm buried here at work, but at least have internet and A/C. I've actually been thinking about bringing some bedding and sleeping in my office since it's much cooler than the house.

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    But we have BEER! LOL!

Your call man! Good talking to you Sunday..stay in touch.

9. mycarsux

mycarsux Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Wylie
  10. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Big Tex,
    Thanks for the info on the generators. I was on a waiting list with several of them when the power came back at my shop. I really appreciate the info. I brought everyone in on Friday (9/19) to have them sweep the floors in the dark and low and behold the power came back on. There are still lots of vendors I do business with who still don't have power.

John

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Electricity, it's what we do!

10# Block Ice delivery also availabe, upon request.........;)

The recovery is slowing down, as they clear the easy "faults" and are left with major construction jobs..it's going to be heavy lifting from here on out.

Like on Lady Valeria's street, and Wylie's house!!!

The parking lights of my Toyota truck were the only illumination besides the fire pit glow, on West 34 -1/2 Street last night.....peaceful, but scary! :D :D :D

12. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hope you get it soon Wylie. I was finally able to move back to my place yesterday. I hadn't been there since Thursday before the storm. My roommate had cleared out the fridge so it's practically empty. It felt like I was moving in again for the first time.

Now if they would just fix all the stop lights around the house.......

13. ^On The Rise^

^On The Rise^ Karting

Sep 22, 2008
    The Woodlands, TX
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I hope you guys get your power soon. I live in The Woodlands and we got power Tuesday evening, 9-16-08. Good thing was that I got six days off of school and we might not have to make them up. Some of the teachers and students are still without power. Also this week the teachers were told to hold up the homework and test ,but some of my teachers seem to fit in a open book essay, which i took today very east, like in my pre-ap english class and an open note test for pre-ap history. Good thing though is the history test is open note so I do not have to study much.

14. niptuck

niptuck F1 Rookie

Mar 1, 2006
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    John L.
    pics of Galveston???
    are poeple moving back in??
    Hope you are all doing well.

15. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    They're letting people back in starting today. I believe from 6am-6pm, something like that.

http://www.chron.com/news/photogallery/return_to_galveston.html

Still a few people at my office without power. I finally am back home now. That 1.5 hour drive to my parents everday last week was really wearing thin on my patience. And I'm really laid back.

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #193 BigTex, Sep 24, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
    Traffic (public) was just allowed back in today......not much left of the infrastructure...houses that made it thru 1900, did again!

I passed (coming back northbound from Texas City) thousands of power line crews headed down last night, along with Department of Public Safety reinforcements....;)

17. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
  18. niptuck

niptuck F1 Rookie

Mar 1, 2006
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    John L.
    Very impressive set of pics.

19. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Got my electricity back last night. A big thanks to the Dominion line crews from Virginia. They and the other out of state linemen are returning the city to civilization.

20. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I'll be in Houston in the morning, going to help my sister with a family matter. Also might try to head to Clear Lake to see how bad their condo got hit.

21. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    About 60 percent of the residents live on the club ground so many did get their power back on until just a couple of days ago. My sister's condo wash room / supply closet was flooded with two & a half feet of water, the living area was not affected but will need a new A/C unit, washer, dryer, new shelves, small basics. It doesn't seem to bad & looks like it can be repaired rather quickly, the home owners association, my brother-in-law & I met with the insurance adjuster this morning & got everything started. Repairing the damage is well underway at Lakewood Yacht Club so I'd imagine by the first part of 2009 most of the repairs will be completed.

Photos of various damage at the club.
    http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/wjhmh/Hurricane%20Ike%20at%20Lakewood/?start=all

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Good to hear William...

They found three more fatalities today, two on Pelican Isand, one up the coast.......

23. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    I feel real bad for all the people out there... I really didn't think it would be as bad as it is.

We received some damage in Rockport. Both of our houses are okay but both piers are completely destroyed.