So...Ike is one big bastard | FerrariChat

So...Ike is one big bastard

Discussion in 'Texas' started by MobileJay, Sep 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    RUN NIP/TUCK RUUUUUUUUUUN LMAO!!!!
    I am really getting tired of all these damn hurricanes. I don't know why it bothers me, I know I can turn away but I'm always looking to see where its going. It gets annoying watching these people on tv constently talking about it and saying the same thing over and over and over. Like I said, I can turn away but for some reason I can't. Plus no one wants to get their cars detailed LOL!
    In a way it is kind of nice when we get some wind and rain where I live cause we lose power and I can't watch anything. It is very relaxing.
    One fun thing I might try out is wind surfing. I bought a longboard(skateboard) the other day and these things roooooooooolllllll, they just don't stop when you have some wind behind you. I might get a windbreaker out and see if I can get some good speed, and probably some good bruises too. HAHAHA.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Dude I built the building he works in...it'll be standing right alongside Old Red, the original Galveston Hospital built in 1890.

It saw the Big One, the 1900....

I pointed out the movie theatre next to Willie G's if he wanted to see the stroy of that one...

Looks like land fall EAST of Matagorda Bay now, it is trending back this way a little from early tracking...that site linked in John's Gustav thread is a great one....I like the links from Surfhouse1967.com also....shows the wave heights.....;)

He'll be fine in the Medical center in Galveston they have big GENERATORS!!!!

Everyone else on The Sinking Sand Bar needs to get outta there! No. seriously listen to the announcements, not everyone needs to go, but many DO......looks like a strong Cat 3 when it slams ashore...

3. niptuck

niptuck F1 Rookie

Mar 1, 2006
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    John L.
    #3 niptuck, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! you're too funny...

As of this morning, Shriner's Burn Hospital and UTMB were going to be on "lockdown." I was going to camp out and be on call all weekend starting tomorrow at the hospital which got boarded up this afternoon.
    BUT then... while eating at NY Pizzeria with work friends, I get a call... "mandatory evacuation.. come to the meeting."
    SO.. bigger and badder.. and coming here. We're all leaving tomorrow... splitting up- inpatients to Cincinatti and Shreveport Burn Units...
    and MEEEEEE???- to "collegestation" on a bus with 20 outpatients (mostly from Mexico) and their parents. We'll be in a big gymnasium for like 5 days there hahaha.
    GREAT EXPERIENCE SO FAR... LOL.

I was kinda hoping to stay in the hospital so I could check out the scene from the 7th floor windows that overlook the island and beach. oh well!

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    John, it doesn't work that way, you gotta run for the hills!

In College Station there is...
    - Texas World Speedway if you want to drive around a track.
    - The Dixie Chicken (if that is still a happenin' place)
    - lots of gorgeous Texas women.
    - and sheep cloning if you get lonely.

In Austin, there are rolling hills. No worries here. Just hope we get some rain out of it.

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Dixie Chicken is still happening.

I always get excited with storms. I just get tired of people stressing out about it. Stress if you live along the coast, if you don't, don't trip out. You can't stop it from coming, so why worry about it.

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Remember -- Hide from wind. Run from water.

Dale

7. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Someones been watching chanel 2 LOL. That is all they have been saying along with everything else that they have been saying since tuesday.
    Hey I have a question....an important one. If I am recording the Monza race for this weekend and the power is out will the DVR still record it? Everytime there is light wind out here the power goes out, I haven't ever experienced the power going out on an F1 weekend though. Thanks

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I hate to ask this but what is the Dixie Chicken?

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Having lived on the Gulf coast for most of my life, this is old folklore. That said, you'd be amazed how many people evacuated from The Woodlands during Rita, and we are 100+ miles from the coast.

Dale

10. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    :O hahaha
    Its a bar in North Gate( where A&M is in college station) where all the college people go to party. The Dixie Chicks used to play there or something. Its a fun place(North Gate) but the only thing I don't like about the chicken is that they only serve beer. I don't drink beer and they don't have any liquor there.

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A bar in College Staion, mandatory after home games or TWS track day....

Go with it Niptuck if you need anything call....

No a recorder will not work with power off, come to NW Mall we'll watch it there.....I didn't get a generator as ours is a priority circuit with Centerpoint because of NW Hospital. It'll be all over by Sunday anyway landfall is Friday night early Saturday......

Houston should see a 14 -16 foot storm surge up the channel that'll keep any rainfall impounded until that tide turns......I may set up my level and shoot some comparative grades against the impound banks of White Oak Bayou...LOL!

Looks to be about even with my Living Room..

Up to Cat 4 is the forecast, onshore with sustained 135MPH winds, higher in gusts and tornadoes.....

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Dixie Chicken predates the Dixie Chicks by three decades ...no relation...maybe they did play there, I dunno, I'll ask 'em..

Beer and hamburgers is the menu....

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Once inland, falling trees and downed high voltage lines are the prevelant dangers, tornadoes also spin off of the decaying storm system......so what's the address for your Hurricane Party?? :D:D

14. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Thats the problem LOL I will miss qualifying. Oh well, we'll see what happens

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Snakes.......there will be lots of snakes....maybe a few gators.......

16. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Oh, well ok then. I thought it was that strip club & was hearing so much about. Gotta love those A&M college girls working their way through school.

17. matthewsauto

matthewsauto Rookie

May 13, 2008
    The Woodlands, TX
    Full Name:
    Matt Groner
    http://www.stormpulse.com/fullscreen/current

Not looking too good at this point. Put your cars up as high as you can, unless you want you to sell them to me. Looks like we're going to be busy the next few months. Good luck all in the area.

18. niptuck

niptuck F1 Rookie

Mar 1, 2006
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    John L.
    #18 niptuck, Sep 11, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
    I'm on a big bus with patients, going to Collegestation!
    We're staying at Consolidate? Middle School (George Bush Drive).
    Uh.. is the Dixie CHicks place nearby?? LOL!

the Spanish cartoons on the bus are cracking me up... (all the patients are Mexican)

19. niptuck

niptuck F1 Rookie

Mar 1, 2006
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    John L.
    ??!!!

20. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    John, just ask how to get to North Gate. The Chicken will be in the area. Last time I was out there for Rita and my friends and I went to get some drinks. There was a library that boarded up their windows on the INSIDE of the window. We had a good laugh with that one. Have fun, let us know how you are from time to time.

21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #21 Wade, Sep 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    That gives me the chills... because I've seen it and experienced it. =/ Besides floating colonies, the flying ants... ack!

23. ADON

ADON Formula 3

Feb 8, 2007
    Ike will turn out to be a total joke like the other 1,000 hurricanes. I would not even break a sweat if I was in Houston.

24. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Ike is a joke for Austin, at least in my opinion.

Tomorrow, AISD will be letting school out at noon.

Saturday's UT vs. Arkansas game has been postponed until Sept 27th. Anyone want to guess what else is happening that weekend? Oh, that's ACL weekend. (www.aclfest.com) Good luck finding a hotel or room, it ain't gonna happen.

People going mad - stocking up on lots of stuff. We're over 200 miles inland. We're surrounded by rolling hills.

25. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Randy, I have boogie boards out for the kids. The surge should hit SA at about 7-8ft swells. Surf's up, dude!
    Hope you're well, windows all boarded up. Damn stores are out of water. Why the he11 does dumbass Perry send refuees to SA and not Austin? Wants lower crime rate up there?