So I [almost] bought a Ferrari [Mondial 3.2 Coupe] Sight Unseen for $2000 | Page 9 | FerrariChat

So I [almost] bought a Ferrari [Mondial 3.2 Coupe] Sight Unseen for $2000

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Dubels, Aug 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Absolutely! Part it out?? What the hell? It's in storage with shoe boxes on it, put the crack pipe down people.

2. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Yes! - Part it out or sell it!

Dubel's already stated that he cannot spare any time to do anything due to running his own Law firm and he can't afford the gas to travel 90 miles and back! - Does that sound like a good basis for trying to repair/restore/run a Ferrari?

Congrats on the car: "It's a deal!......it's a steal!........it's the sale of the f:censored:g Century!"

However, like I say, if you can't spare the time and don't have the money then a Ferrari is not the car to own!

(And no, money does not grow on trees in the UK! - Our costs would make you cry your eyes out!).

Also, as the car has turned out to be a Mondial and not a 308/328, shouldn't this thread be renamed and moved to the appropriate section?

3. fcat

fcat Rookie

Jan 19, 2010
    Can't, there's no Al Capone's Vault section here yet.

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    For example, mine's $24K as is or $27.5 after I change the cam belts and fix the a/c.

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I think I would haul my 2K Ferrari home and see if I could get it to run. I would not look at this thread to read all the BS a bunch of goof balls have to say. If it didn't run I would put it in my garage and pile clothes and shoes on it for a few more years. Then maybe sell it to someone here for 8K

6. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I don't think there is a person on the site in their right mind that would pass up that car for 2 grand. It would be so cool to bring that engine back to life and take it around the block carefully for the first time. It's worth 2k just for the experiance of trying!

7. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Well, for $2K I would make it a project and wrench it myself....You have almost nothing to loose and lots of fun to gain.

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I have to agree with this, dispite it is burried I would buy it for this amount of money only for the parts. Just check if it is not stolen and that they tried to burry it. :) not the first time that a Ferrari got burried. (referring to the stolen Dino 246 GTS )

9. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    This is insanity. Just because the car has been sitting and does not currently run the answer is part it out? How about check it out and see what it's state is. Jumping to a part it out plan without more data is just buffoonery and may take more effort and time than just getting it to run and selling it if it's not what you want.

10. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    +3.2!
    At worst you can recover your costs selling the tail lights, emblems and steering wheel alone! This is an incredible opportunity, something I sort of experience 30 years ago for 2.5x as much buy in! Even if you can't get it concourse ready, it can be made to run for some fun even with NAPA parts!

GO FOR IT! Don't listen to the downers!

11. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    #211 jimgolf1, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    You have to remember Dubels doesn't seem to be a current "car guy". He isn't going to part it out and he never said he had any interest in doing so. I live in his area and offered to try and help him pick up the car and help get it smogged, no response. (Maybe he still can't get PM's) From his OP he did have some lofty ideas about fixing up a 308 GTS and may have even bought some wheels prematurely. Not exactly sure.

I think a lot of people are assuming what he wants/will do with the car according to what any or is might do but I have a feeling he might not be up to what for what it will take to part out, get running, smog, or even flip it. We know each of those take a lot of work. That's probably some of the reasons it has been sitting like it is now. For a non-car guy free might even be too much.

I agree it would still be a fun car and should be saved. If Dubels doesn't want it, hopefully he will make a few bucks and pass it on.

12. AaronMeisner

AaronMeisner Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
  13. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Amen! If I had this opportunity (granted I do all my own wrenching)...I would be writing the check immediately and then beginning the R&R process to get the engine started. This would be insane fun!

14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Don't be afraid of working on a Ferrari--they are just cars after all. Ignore all the "it has problems..part it out..it won't win a concours..it's only a Mondial" crowd.

Most Ferrari owners have no idea about their cars I've noticed. They talk about how this is all hard to work on or this is super expensive and in the end--it's just a car.

16. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Well I was going to recommend he use it as a coffee table, if his living room was big enough. But, I guess that I won't now. :)

17. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's funny how it ended up being a 3.2 coupe because that's exactly what I want to pick up this spring. Keeping the 308 as well.

18. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    With $450/distributor caps, $1K wires, $20K engine rebuild, etc etc. A Ferrari is not a Honda and is very expensive to make a mistake on.

19. Dubels

Dubels Rookie

Aug 15, 2014
    NorCal
    So the bad news is that its a euro car. Verified by the VIN. Picking up the car this weekend hopefully if these client emergencies end.

For those still questioning the Sellers, they offered me a chance to back out of the deal because they didn't want to cause trouble in the friendship if I wasn't able to fix it after dumping a lot of money. In fact, the husband didn't want to sell to me and has another buyer lined up for more money because he didn't want to strain the relationship should it take a lot of effort to get this thing running.

Right now I am looking as a fun project to work on with my dad and to give me an excuse to take some time for myself. Goal right now is to get it running and if I cannot get it smogged it might be looking for a home out of state.

20. Dubels

Dubels Rookie

Aug 15, 2014
    NorCal
    Hey sorry I missed your PM. Thanks for the offer to help, I don't think I will need help picking up the car but the smog issue is still up in the air. I will contact you once I get a look at the car without a bunch of storage piled up on top. I want to save the car just been a little busy with work emergencies recently. I am going to pick up the car this weekend. Also the 3.2 has TRX wheels on it. So as long as the SP 16 inch wheels fit I am in good shape. I actually just want to get it running first then look into making it look pretty. As stated in my post above it just seems like a fun project for my dad and I to wrench on. At least it will be a change from wrenching on my kart and motorcycles.

Again I want to thank the community here. Overall its been a very welcoming experience!

21. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    308 wheels will not fit a Mondial3.2 well -- hopefully, SP will do an exchange for you...

22. fcat

fcat Rookie

Jan 19, 2010
    Has it ever been smogged/registered in California?

23. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you decide you want to dump this thing in in a few months, put me on your PM list.

24. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    For the wheels the 348 ones look good and fit nice on these cars.

25. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Man, is someone sticking it to you..