So I [almost] bought a Ferrari [Mondial 3.2 Coupe] Sight Unseen for $2000 | Page 11 | FerrariChat

So I [almost] bought a Ferrari [Mondial 3.2 Coupe] Sight Unseen for $2000

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Dubels, Aug 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kimbo 308

kimbo 308 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 11, 2012

If the car was federalised there should be a sticker(usually on the drivers door jam)with the name of the manufacturer, VIN # , and original importers name. Part of the requirements...speedo will be MPH rather than KMH also...

The D.O.T should also have a record of the car by VIN #? I Suspect it has been federalised as the engine bay picture shows a Throttle Position Sensor(TPS)...the black thing on the side of the red plenum intake ....this was for USA market cars only, required for emissions regulations IIRC?

If you posted more pics.( particularly of the engine bay) we can help with advice further.....show the sceptics and knockers that were so vocal the car should be parted out or sold!

Kimbo

2. Madaboutred

Madaboutred Karting

Aug 10, 2013
    Athens Greece
    Full Name:
    Aris Thomazos
  3. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    For the price you couldn't go wrong! Car is looking better and better!

4. fcat

fcat Rookie

Jan 19, 2010
    Sounds like it's not a California title?

If it is, you're almost certainly in the clear. If it's registered in another state, it's going to be some work to get it registered in California, even if it has been "federalized." ("Californiaized" is different than Federalized!).

The Coupes are nice, and having a Euro 3.2 Coupe legally registered in California would be really cool.

These are easy and fun cars to work on, all the service stuff is no more difficult than any other cambelt driven car (easier, in a lot of ways).

5. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    This federalized vs Californiaized has been seen before. I think the best thing to do before going for the air pump, injectors, etc is to get it running well, tune it so it should pass the tailpipe test and then just take it to the state emission test facility and see what happens. Some of those guys have no idea what is supposed to be on a 30 year old Ferrari. If they look it up, and start poking around the worst that could happen is you get rejected and take it to the CARB referee station. I've had a 1977 Matra Bagheera(gray market) pass in the CA referee station as long as the car was running right, and did well on the tailpipe test. Also, if you go through the referee station they will give you a list of EXACTLY what you need, no more, no less and then you meet that list and viola, you get your smog cert.

Frankly, what I would do is title and register it in the state of TX first, and then let it stay on that for 120 days, then take your paperwork to CA is it's a done deal.

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #256 soucorp, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Welcome to the club, but just be careful with getting her all correct because this pic holds true of being an F car owner as well :)
    Good thing you bought it for a song and really can't go wrong!

Cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    you can get around cal smog. easy peazy. But in any case i have everything if needed. Good luck

8. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Anything to report?

9. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Great story. A Ferrari for $2k, about £1600. Brilliant. If that had occurred here in the UK to me, I would have had no issue buying it.
    It looks in great condition too, both inside and out. You lucky chap :)

I shall come back regularly to this thread.

Good luck to you sir and well done ;)

10. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    hello Dubels,
    Did you get her running yet ? I'm curious how your experience is going with the Mondial.

11. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    What a deal. Wow. But as stated the cost can get up there. As I restore my Mondial it comes by the thousands $$$$$ and mechanically it must be sound or the consequences can be far more than the car is worth. Congrats on the steal of the year. Make sure the fuel lines are not rotted from sitting or it can easily be a charbroiled Mondi. Good luck. Great find

12. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I would not buy it if it will not start or at least fart nicely If it was running when parked that sounds good. Repacing the battery on the spot is a *****, but if you have serious Jump system you might be able to disconnect the battery in place.

1) If it cranks without major humps compression might be ok. If it starts? omg You might bring an oil can to squirt some fuel in.

2) These cars can get carboned up real bad. If you get it running talk to an old BMW hand. They used crushed walnut shells. Otherwise look for industial strenth additive. Probably lots of it. Big emission problem

3) If it is anything like my K-Jet there is a covered screw on the right side of the fuel distribution cap. Force it out and there is a hex scrwe hidden deep down in there. Five six or seven mm. I believe you lean it out with counter clockwise 1/8 turns at a time. After I did some chemical decarboning I made it 1/8 richer.

5) But at this price it is a take-apart toy. If you don't mind spending a thousand hours taking out all the fuel system and cleaning it out? And education in itself.

6) The old cats can be decarboned as well.

Personally, at age 68 I would not touch it with a ten foot pole. But if it starts?

13. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    How about a 12 foot pole?

14. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    C'mon, where's your sense for adventure? I wouldn't hesitate 1sec if the opportunity came.

15. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Heck yeah what a deal I'd do a major service on it and enjoy it. Way to go my major props to you.

16. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    WOW, wish I had friends that wanted to sell me a Ferrari for $2,000.00, would jump on it in a second. I paid a lot more for mine last month and still need to go through the engine maintenance, etc. Enjoy the car and as soon as I get mine road ready, I'm going to enjoy mine.

17. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    I guess the OP is not around any more - no replies since 09 10 2014. Hope things didn't go too bad for him

18. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Return of investement is guaranteed in 1 day ;) pity we don't see anymore posts on this one. Hope indeed that it is not a money pit

19. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Looks like a the op stepped out totally on this thread. I wonder why?

20. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    If you have the time to read all the posts, some of the comments may have been discouraging to the OP. But, that's the we roll here. Tell it like it is. ;)

21. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Lol I was being sarcastic.

22. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    where are you buying your oil?? haha

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Even if the car is complete trash....I mean at $2,000 - he can sell a few choice parts and he's already ahead....

:)