So I [almost] bought a Ferrari [Mondial 3.2 Coupe] Sight Unseen for $2000 | Page 10 | FerrariChat

So I [almost] bought a Ferrari [Mondial 3.2 Coupe] Sight Unseen for $2000

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Dubels, Aug 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    That's great to hear. PM me with your contact info. I legally got my Euro 308 to pass smog in CA so I can help you there. If it has never been registered in CA and you don't have the Federalization paperwork it might be tougher to reg than to smog. It all depends if it's flagged in the system from someone else trying. I also can get a discount on the TRX tires which are great if you aren't going to track the car. Probably not the car for that anyways. Nothing is cheap or quick to get fixed but they are pretty easy to work on compared to most cars.

I'm also currently bringing a 308 GT4 back to life after sitting for 25 years.

2. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    If you decide it's too much for you or otherwise don't want to hassle with the car, I'm in TX, I can be there in ~6 hours and will pay you $5000 for the car with a clear title.

Don't know if anyone else has warned you, but the engine should not be turned over with the starter at all until the cam belts and rollers are replaced. If you break a belt on cranking the engine it will immediately crash the valves into the pistons and then my offer is retracted. You may contact me via PM, or here through a post. Best of luck with the car, but it's a serious amount of DIY at this point.

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I hope its all true, but it just sounds too Good to be True $2k for a real 308! Keep us posted with actual pics of this car please...

best

4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    That's nice, wrenching with my dad as well. If you can wrench, it will be a fun car. If one cannot it is wise not to touch it, like mentioned before. I guess everything will get fine to get it on the road again. Motorcycle or a Ferrari it all stays a combustion engine. Only an itsy bitsy different price tag on parts. Congrats already! I hope it is something when you see it!

5. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    I'll bring $5001....LOL.

Couldn't resist......

6. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    It's a Mondial 3.2 coupe...look at post 137 for pictures

7. Dubels

Dubels Rookie

Aug 15, 2014
    NorCal
    #232 Dubels, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    Bought them used. It's ok, will look at selling them to get the proper wheels. Got a great deal on them anyways.

Great to know. If I run into registration problems I have another idea in mind. But if it's just smog I am going to get all the smog equipment and give it a try.

Also thank you for the info on the cam belt. I was going to check it all before starting it up but now I am just going to replace it all first. After the misidentification of it as a 308 I have calmed my excitement and plan on raking things a bit slower. I think I might have the car in my possession tomorrow. Problem is that I got a mild concussion last night.

8. Dubels

Dubels Rookie

Aug 15, 2014
    NorCal
    Picked up the car today.

Immediate problems:
    - Appears to be stuck in gear. After getting it on the flat bed. The back wheels are now locked like they are in gear. We placed it in 1st for the short ride on the tow truck. But after we go to the destination we had trouble getting it off the flat bed. Even with the clutch fully engaged and shifter in neutral we can't get it out of gear. We got it on dualies and pushed it into the garage.
    -Emergency brake is not connected
    -I have fallen for the car and now it's going to be hard avoiding a potential money pit.

Some of the initial issues were dealt with by charging the battery. It amazes me how everything including the doors need electricity. The engine has not been started and won't be until I figure out the rear wheel issue and the major service is complete.

Going to need help figuring why the rear wheels are locked up.

9. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Brake calipers prolly seized

10. Dubels

Dubels Rookie

Aug 15, 2014
    NorCal
    #235 Dubels, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nvm. My misdiagnosis of the parking brake and rare wheels worked itself out once the battery had a better charge. The parking brake needs adjustment but it was actually fully engaged from my attempt to engage it on the tow truck. Once the light came on, I fully pumped the lever back and it disengaged. So the rear wheels now move.

I figured this out because I have been sitting in the car enjoying it as much as I can before I leave today. Turned to see if the radio worked and saw the parking brake light on. So the parking brake does work just needs some adjustment.

Maybe it's just the excitement but that was stupid.

Still having electronics issues but that is due to the dead/dying battery and fusebox
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. wildcat767676

wildcat767676 Formula Junior

May 20, 2011
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Any more photos? I love this thread! Happy for you.

12. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    U sure the E-brake is not engaged or stuck??? Alot of folks don't even understand how that thing works, lift it up first, then press button to release cable mechanism. The 1st gear could also be related to bad clutch or bad clutch slave cylinder, check the brake fluid level.

Best

13. Dubels

Dubels Rookie

Aug 15, 2014
    NorCal
    This^^^ ahaha. I knew about it resetting at the bottom but not about how far I have to pull it back. Stupid but I have been waiting for this for a bit.

Will have more pictures soon. Forgot my good camera at home.

14. wildcat767676

May 20, 2011
    Gilbert, Arizona
    I don't mind phone pix! Lol

15. Dubels

Dubels Rookie

Aug 15, 2014
    NorCal
    Found a camera will have more photos tonight :D.

16. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Sounds like you are on your way. I did a belt job on a non-runner a few years back. We also did the water pump, aux belts, and some rubber hoses in the area. The belts and bearings are pretty easy to put on if you aren't a large person. Jack the right rear high, and you can snooge your upper body inside the wheel well. I still suggest doing the belts before turning the engine over. Belt failure is quickly catastrophic.

17. Red 328 GTS

Red 328 GTS Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    #242 Red 328 GTS, Sep 9, 2014
    Well done mate....... I'm pleased it's coming together.

Apart from my 328 my other love revolves around Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R's.
    I've just finished restoring a rare Australian delivered (Australia got 100 of these) black one which was a real basket case. I've done a years worth of resto in 8 weeks so I'm pleased its finished.

You are probably going to be in the same boat but at least your not time sensitive like I was/am.....

Looking forward to some more pics soon.

Cheers from Oz........ Bob.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    #243 SamuliS, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    Congratulations! Great buy and what a luck, feel happy for you and slightly jealouse.

19. Dubels

Dubels Rookie

Aug 15, 2014
    NorCal
    #244 Dubels, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    Yeah that is the plan. Having to leave the car in my parent's garage for a bit I placed signs all over the car to inform anyone who happens to get my keys to not start the engine.

I plan on doing this in stages.

Stage 1:
    Major service - belts, tensioner bearings, gaskets, water pump rebuild or replacement, fuel hoses, brake service and rebuild, electrical issues (replace fusebox, and make sure the alternator is working) and replace the TRX tires (either rim replacement or just tires)
    Stage 2:
    Work on exhaust equipment for CA registration
    Stage 3:
    Attend to auxiliary problems after its running, and also make it look pretty.

I will have the pictures I promised up a little later. Forgot my SD card at home. Edit can't find the entire camera now.

@Red 328 GTS: That is a lovely R32. I have always been a fan of the R34 but buying the new GTR would be easier than getting a R34 legally into the states. I believe there are only 14 legally imported R34s in the US.

20. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Can't wait to see more pics! :)

21. Red 328 GTS

Red 328 GTS Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    The R32's celebrated their 25 Anniversary last month which now means they can now be legally imported into the USA.
    Apparently their is strong demand for them and a few Canadian importers and cleaning us trying to get their hands on any 1989 builds in Japan.

Bob.

22. Dubels

Dubels Rookie

Aug 15, 2014
    NorCal
    #247 Dubels, Sep 9, 2014
  23. wildcat767676

May 20, 2011
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Wow interior looks mint!!

24. kimbo 308

kimbo 308 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 11, 2012
    This car appears to have been " federalized " to comply with US D.O.T. regs..

It wears US market repeater lights on the front guards and US spec front fog lights.....therefore it should already comply with emissions requirements and be registerable?

Kimbo

25. Dubels

Dubels Rookie

Aug 15, 2014
    NorCal
    Good to know! I have a title. So now I just need to make sure it conforms with CA Smog standards. Getting excited about this little project. I would be happy if I got a really enjoyable drivers car out of this. Then I can slowly make it perfect.