"Slight" coolant leak | FerrariChat

"Slight" coolant leak

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Faber, Jan 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    #1 Faber, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    80 mi drive today to Blanco & back w/ bride - wonderful weather & drive - all gauges appeared normal - pulled into driveway and smelled something burning - saw the coolant draining onto driveway and shutdown car - pushed into garage and will inspect in am - encl youtube vid and pic - thought someone might have some insights based on experience - Thanks -

http://youtu.be/xU2P-_wKYR0
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #2 Wade, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    Hard to tell which side it's coming from, if on the left...

Did you recently "top up" the reservoir? It's self leveling, so to speak. In other words, if it's over-serviced then it will spit out the excess.

3. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #3 Bell Bloke, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    Hi Tom, well if there is no water on the top of the engine or dripping off the engine block then it's probably the coolant pipes that run though the centre of the car.
    Obviously you must not run the car until the problem is fixed and when you have don't forget to bleed the radiator once you've topped up the water.
    Regards Bell

PS Just watched the video and my best guess is that it is the feed pipe to the water pump or maybe even the water pump itself, but with all that water i'd say it was the pipe.

4. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thanks all - leak was on right - have not topped off reservoir anytime lately - will review parts diagram for pipe mentioned above and get under car - Thanks!

5. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Those hoses running through the center. I have to replace mine as well. There are some great threads about this on Fchat

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Most likely one of the hoses have ruptured, find the right one and replace, may want to do a coolant flush while your at it, replace the thermostat, fill coolant and bleed. Be sure not to over fill the expansion tank, its called that for a reason (I made that mistake), only up to the line mid way.

Best

7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I'm not the mechanical sort of guy and a DYI is an abstract concept for me, but still I've replaced all original hoses with silicone ones from SamcoSport. I've been told they're more sturdy, durable and handle pressure and temperature much better than regular ones (don't know the material they're made of). Zero issues since installing them, so I'm a happy customer and recommend the upgrade.

My apologies if this isn't the information Tom needs, but I'm just trying to help.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I'm with Bell. Looks like Waterpump. They sometimes pee all of sudden because of a broken seal. Had it myself just before my winterstop allthough it was a new set. 7000 miles on it. Or one of the hoses between the airintake manifolds.

9. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thanks very much for the insights above - Looking over - assume Plenum needs to be removed to inspect/replace hoses & remove water pump (below thermostat)? Will seek some posts w/ pictures..(-*

10. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Depresurize the system by removing the tank filler cap. Coolant should be about six inches down when cold. Let it warm up without the filler cap and see what happens before it gets hot. If it is still leaking while warming up you will need to

1) Fix it. OR

2) In desperation use turkey baster to remove enough fluid add full strenght glycol to get 60/40 which will not boil at 230F fan switch unpressurized.

3) Add a couple of bottles Bars Leak into 60/40 glycol at unpressurized.

When I got my car I noticed a coolant system out of some sort of nuclear power plant. Made 60/40 mix (you can go 70/30) added half a bottle of bars leak with water pump lubricant. Left unpressurized and drove 9,000 miles and not lost one once.

That is the folk remedy.

11. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thanks - Appreciate the insights - I will check levels tho - I lost several? gallons of coolant or so it appeared directly under the pump and center hoses as Bell Bloke indicated- It was interesting for a novice to inspect hoses/pump w/ wheel off - nothing obvious tho - watched a great vid by "HeliDoctor" on removing the plenum to inspect/replace the "center hoses" - I aspire to be like that guy, and this weekend will spend some time on her.

12. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    David

I cringe at the thought of giving advice "bar leak" in a Ferrari

this aint cheap Detroit metal

please find the leak and fix it right

13. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Faber

looks like a water pump from the video

14. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I agree. Same thing happened when I lost my water pump.

15. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Obvoiusly it must be fixed properly as water is pouring out. However no need to remove the plenum, it's fiddly but I'd leave it in place. Removing the plenum carries other complications at this stage.

16. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #16 Wade, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As Bell said, no need to pull the plenum if only a water pump removal. I did the same for my old Mondial 8.

However, changing the hose (couplers) behind the pump may be a different story. It's really tight in there and getting to the inner hose clamps can be difficult.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. 308mon

308mon Karting

Oct 5, 2014
    UK
    Agree with leaving the plenum alone whenever possible. "Tinkle, tinkle, tinkle" sounds if you are not careful.

18. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thanks - So how to verify leak is Pump vs center hoses unless I start and watch? Thanks again for insights -

19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    If it were mine, I'd put the car on jackstands (6 of them, but that's just me), pull both rear wheels and inner liners, top off the coolant system and fire her up. Surely that should narrow down the location.

Next step; if old pump and hoses, replace all.

But one word that should not be left out; safety, safety and safety.

20. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #20 Rapalyea, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    Hi!

Don't have a leak. Don't have any coolant pressure either. Nine thousand miles and not one ounce of coolant added. Use 60/40 glycol. Hot run at 7,000 rpm 90F no coolant loss or noises; of course the temp is not streatched while moving. At idle the fans come on at 230F and no coolant boiling or weird sounds.

I depressurized for the obvious reason to avoid leaks CAUSED by 16psi. I only added half a bottle to just to get some water pump lube in the system. I have entirely relieved coolant system expansion stresses. All the two hundred hoses and clamps need to do is pass unpressurized coolant. So far so good.

21. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The specs say that the fans come on when 183 degrees F is exceeded, and they turn off when the temps go below 167 F. Also, MAX temp is between 230 and 240. Mine doesn't vary much from 180.

Sounds like you run at higher levels on a regular basis. But I think you've debated that already...

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    My temperatures range from 167 when moving to 195 when idle in traffic.

23. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hi Wade,

At runing speeds the temp needle is straigth up which I think is indicated 195F. At idle the fans come on a 230F indicated. Which is low. My Z-28 fan activated at indicated 260F. But I look for boiling issues. Clearly there is no boiling at 195F with 60/40 mix un-pressurized. No matter how hot it is outside or how hard I run it. Specifically, the radiators alone keep indicated 195F.

And it seems odd to me the specs say the fans come on BELOW the boiling point of unpressurized tap water.

24. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Tom, simple is best here I think.
    Water is pouring out of your engine so you will have no problem finding this one.

1. Fill your header up with water, don't bother with the glycol at this stage because you are only fault finding. Also don't worry about bleeding the radiator eaither at this fault finding stage.

2. Having filled the header you may find water starts to leak straight away.
    However if not, then run the engine and watch.
    I suspect water will be coming from the pipes as indicated by Wade in the diagram
    BUT
    Keep an eye on your water pump in the pulley are and check that is not leaking also.
    Having located the fault area report back and we can discuss your next best move.
    All the best Bell.

25. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    fill her up with coolant again and check first your waterpomp (like many mentioned already). -> take off wheel and inner arch and behind the arch one cover. -> start her up and see where it flows. Like Bell mentioned you can fairly good see where it pours from.

Just regarding the plenum whether you would need to remove it. If you are lucky the hose clamps screw is on an accessible spot. I was not that lucky and needed to remove the plenum and one of the intake manifolds. And watch the spacers that they do not fall into the intakes if you would need to remove it. (you do can get them out with a strong magnet if luck is not on your side)

Anyways look at the waterpump first as it would be the most obvious thing to do.

Let us know what you find!

HTH
    Tijn