Sleep | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Sleep

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by the_stig, Apr 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Whoo hoo - now the acupuncture is Tuesday - they had a cancellation.

Thanks for the tip but I wouldn't eat sardines with a gun to my head.

2. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's great good luck!

Lol, I too would go for plan 'B' regarding the sardines.

3. Mbn

Mbn Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Try some otc supplements like melatonin and zma.

Less cafaine if possible specially afternoon hit the gym regularly also a small healthy meal before bed of protein & healthy fats can put some people to sleep sooner.

More importantly peace of mind.

Good luck.

Mbn

4. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Have now had 6 acupuncture treatments and... I don't know quite what to think. I can't say I've really noticed any specific result good or bad. There may, perhaps, be some slight improvement in mood.
    Overall I guess I was hoping for more - the "re-booting" a previous poster mentioned would have been good. Headaches - something the acupuncturist reports a very high degree of success with - may be improved - same with tennis elbow although nowhere near "cured".
    The acupuncturist said upfront that 6-8 sessions should give a pretty good idea if I was getting some relief so now I'm leaning towards either stopping completely or cutting back from 2x / week to 1x / week and see how it goes.
    Appointment with new GP is still a few weeks away. Recommended by a friend with complex health issues and coincidentally by the acupuncturist.

5. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    Try some natural herbs. We have one in our bridal cleanse designed to aid in relaxing and getting a really good nights sleep. I take it myself when I'm really stressed and sleep like a baby. Holy basil, valerian root, l-theanine, magnesium, bulgarian rose water are the key ingredients. Blend with something like blueberries and dates and have before bed.

6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Bridal Cleanse sounds like something Prince Charming would require Cinderella to take to rid her of the cooties she got during her tryst with the Big Bad Wolf

7. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Hahaha!

8. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Acupuncturist brought up yesterday the fact that I'm past 8 visits and am reporting pretty much zero results. He appears to be honest in saying that it is not for everyone and that there may be no point in continuing. He did follow that up by saying that he has had a few patients that did not notice results until much further along - like 20 visits. He's asked me to fill out a self-assessment form which is taken from Eastern medicine and he will review it.

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That sounds interesting but did you ask him to explain how and why acupuncture might work for your condition and what your condition might be caused by? As a therapist he knows this information and if you don't ask him, you are wasting a big chunk of the money and time you are spending on his treatments - 8 treatments, how much time and money was that?

You need to understand you don't have a health issue that has a readily available and generally effective medical cure. So you cannot simply put your faith in whatever suggested cure comes along. It's not like going to the drug store for a cough medication because you caught a cold from your kids. If you just try various suggestions without understanding them you would be simply shooting in the dark and that's a very expensive and potentially hazardous way to go about finding a cure.

You need to understand the working basis of any suggested cure. By doing so, you not only understand what can cause conditions like yours and how the treatment might cure them but you also avoid trying a similarly wrong cure a second time. You need to learn thoroughly from each attempt to locate a cure. By insisting on knowing the basis of each suggested cure you will eventually become an expert on the condition when you finally get it sorted.

You do not want to treat your health issues like a black box. That's like buying an old car that's going to have maintenance issues and not know the first thing about how a car works and what mechanics have to do to keep it running properly.