Ski season? | FerrariChat

Ski season?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by Noel, Sep 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I'm from chicago and was wondering when the first resorts reliably open? of course it depends on snow, but i wanted to know where you early birds went to ski/snowboard? anyplace in early November?

2. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Silverton or some other southern mountain might have enough snow to be OK but, but if you can, wait until late December or later for good skiing.

-F

3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Aspen always opens on Thanksgiving Day and the last Day is Easter...this year we went longer because we had so much snow. we were skiing in mid-June for the annual Food and Wine Classic but this was only the second time that has ever happened.

Life is good. ;)

4. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I can't wait for Christmas and NY!
    Incredible crowds in Aspen,yet the same number of skiers as normally on Ajax!!??
    Why do they even bother to come to Aspen??

5. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I'm headed to Asia Dec 7th, so i really wanted to snowboard before I take off, that's why I'm trying to figure out an early trip. thanks for the responses.

6. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    A few places are open a week or two before Thanksgiving but the number of runs is limited usually till about the 2nd week of December. Loveland, Winter Park etc are two that i have experience with in recent years during early season. Be prepared for bare spots and limited access to runs if you want to do some early season skiing. I know this does not help you situation, but the decent skiing usually gets going after the Christmas holidays.

7. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

maybe Canada?

8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Crowds? Never a line where I ski.

9. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    If you are moving to Asia, you may want to look at skiing in Australia and New Zealand. I think their seasons are opposite of ours?

10. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    That's my point,huge crowds on streets and in restaurants but very few people (relatively) on the slopes....

11. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Copper mountain has a base elevation of 9700 feet and opens nov 4...there are several professional ski camps and instructor camps earily season their because of the reliable good earily season snow...loveland ski area at eisenhower pass often opens in october and so does a- basin....

12. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Part of the charm of Aspen: you don't have to ski to enjoy it! To quote Phil, life is good... life is good indeed. :D

13. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    Usually when theres enough snow. I know that doesn't say much, but last year some resorts (if you can call them that) in Ontario didn't open until mid-December last year because we just didn't get much of a winter. Of course they were crying the blues. It did all work out because late season we got considerable snowf accumulation. But expect by mid-November to get going up here, the Rockies in Alberta/BC are obviously best, and the Laurentians in Quebec might get snow sooner. All very unpredictable. I think since last winter was balmy and not winter like that this year should be a winter. Next year the wife and I plan on a trip to Tremblant (so far we've only been there in the summer, of course the Ferrari Festival at Tremblant is very important and not to miss!).

This year we are getting passes for Horseshoe Resort. http://www.horseshoeresort.com/
    I've never been there, driven by a million times, but i've heard its good so why not. Heck, I grew up in Alberta skiing at Sunshine Village so I don't build my expectations too high here in Ontario. Although I'm going to miss the summer (where was it) and only got out a couple of times on the wakeboard I'm starting to get into the snowboard mindset.

Chris

14. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

i was thinking someplace high like Breckenridge might get snow early, but last time i was there i got altitude sickness (chicago is sea level). burn.

15. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    Arapahoe Basin Opens TODAY. I am sure just one run, and certainly not top to bottom. Normally late November is OK. We have a timeshare at Marriott Streamside - Vail, week after Thanksgiving/first week of December. Have not used it in awhile, but when we did, I felt the skiing was reasonable...especially by MidWest or East Coast standards.

That said, we skied over Thanksgiving last year and there was one run open at Breck, all man-made. Better check the weather as to how things are shaping up in late October/early November before jumping on a plane.

16. MikeMac

MikeMac Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Loveland is opening a run today, too.

17. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

went on their site, looks like one run that's all man made.

18. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    YEP....keep an eye on this post....we'll let you know when the real stuff starts. or PM me. We are up to our condo in Frisco (near Breck, Keystone, A-Basin most every weekend)....especially as it gets closer to real ski season

19. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Phil when does the season end at Aspen

I miss Aspen, it was fun, got to go back again

20. MikeMac

MikeMac Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's how it is every year when the first resorts open.

21. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    #21 Ferrariguy2, Oct 20, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
    Hit Lake Louise / Sunshine in Banff, Alberta... usually opens mid November, sometimes earlier.

Edit: Website says opening day is tentatively Nov. 8.
    http://www.skilouise.com/

Excellent spot if you've never been.

22. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I've heard nothing but good things about Banff, it's very high on my to-do list. If they get snow, i'm there.

23. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    I would agree that Banff/Lake Louise has arguably the most beautiful mountain terrain anywhere. However, I would disagree that the skiing there is phenomenal. If you end up going, I would highly recommend either of the two Fairmont hotels. They are both fantastic.

24. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    +1 the Chateau Lake Louise is incredible.

http://www.fairmont.com/lakelouise

Enjoy!

25. desotodave

desotodave Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    Alpine, UT
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you want great skiing and an easy process getting in and out go to Salt Lake City. You find 8 ski resorts within 45 minutes of the Airport. If you want to avoid crowds don't go to Park City, but ski at Alta ( no snowboarders) Snowbird, Brighton or Solitude. If you are a boarder go to Snowbird or brighton. They usually open up 1-2 weeks before thanksgiving.