Ski Season Update | FerrariChat

Ski Season Update

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by CornersWell, Nov 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    So, Vail opened with several major lifts on the 19th and Blue Ski Basin opened yesterday. Way ahead of normal. The storms have been banging. Great news for ski resorts. Get your sticks waxed and ready...

CW

2. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    breck, a-basin and keystone have been open a while with a decent base

3. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Indeed, they are. I'm just surprised at how much terrain is already open at Vail. Usually, we're still praying to the snow Gods about now. World Cup at the Beav next weekend has historically been good for snow, though. The old saying, "If you want snow, schedule a World Cup race" applies. The irony is that the racers don't want snow, and it all has to be cleared off the course. Ever shoveled 18" of snow for 3 straight days? It sux. Cool to be on the course, and it's the only way to get on an FIS World Cup course for most people.

CW

4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Hey, PhilNotHill, how's the season shaping up in Aspen? And, how's the knee coming along?

CW

5. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    i don't think aspen is open for another couple of weeks...

6. F-Bear

F-Bear Karting

Jan 11, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rob Weien
    Aspen Mountain and Snowmass openned Thanksgiving; powder top to bottm; ladies World Cup Saturday and Sunday on Aspen Mountain came off great. 'course, the snow was 'too soft' for the racers; just fine for the rest of us! Off we go on another season !

7. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    And to think, just a few years ago they were running front page articles in the Summit Daily about "global warming" making snow in the mountains practically extinct. DUH! Oh, what's that word for which nearly all things move in??? Oh yeah, cycles!

Anyway, I was a snow maker at Keystone nearly a decade ago. VERY tough job.

8. F-Bear

F-Bear Karting

Jan 11, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rob Weien
    Mr. T Bull- yeah, snow making's the tough one, but you gotta love the hours! (as long as you can ski w/o sleep!)
    FYI- Temp at openning day at Aspen -12 F, :>

9. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I was lucky enough that my rotation was noon to midnight, so I could go a couple of hours in the AM before the BIG crowds.

10. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Just skied breck and A basin this weekend...best thx Giving snow I have seen in years with the most terrain open this earily. Over a 40 inch base at Breck and great snow up on the imperial chair also!!!

11. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    i went to a basin on friday. besides it being cold as hell and a little crazy in the morning on loveland pass, it was awesome! almost the whole mountain is already open. probably going to keystone or a basin saturday. we'll see where the snow is better.

12. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Friday am was cold but the sun came out in the afternoon and was nice. tons of people came up from denver Friday am for skiing. i think you will find that breck and the basin have better snow than Keystone, but I image the outback and north peak will have some nice snow. And it did snow yesterday and last night again!!!

13. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I went to Loveland over the Thanksgiving weekend and I agree. I rarely enjoy pre-January snow but this year the snow is very good. Hopefully it will continue throughout the season.

-F

14. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    Just spent the past 2 great weeks in Breck. We didn't get all that much snow while there, but huge early season snow held up great. Had a couple of new powder days mixed in which made for a perfect trip!

15. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Pretty cold this past weekend + wind!

16. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Try -15 to -35 windchill on Vail for the past few days. Warming back up to normal, though.

CW

17. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Went to Keystone past Thursday before it started to snow - was like a hockey rink - actually pretty scary how little snow there was for boarding. Someone hit a tree there recently as well and didn't survive.

18. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Skied Vail on Thursday. Surprisingly good. A little wind pack in the back but not crowded and the snow was soft. I was surprised as it hadn't snowed in a while.

And then, about noon, the temp went from +11 to -5 in about 45 minutes and the wind came up. Darn cold.

19. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Aspen snowpack is 13% to 22% above the 30 year average on the four ski mountains.

Went skiing today. The snow was excellent. No lift lines as the holiday visitors have mostly departed.

The temp today was 24 degrees and sunny. This was the coldest day I have skied all year. I only ski on nice days. And we had some very cold days around New Years. It was zero degrees on Saturday. Too cold for me.

Life is good.

http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20101228/NEWS/101229863

20. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    THANKFULLY so! I realize the merchants need them, thus they're a necessary evil, but I'm of the opinion that I don't want to be around for the Holidays. Terroristas! Vail's like Mexico City. And, if you've ever been there, you know you don't want to go again!

Anyway, PnH, how's the knee?

CW

21. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The knee is perfect. On Doc's advice I worked it hard and avoided impact on the knee. The pain subsided. Decided not to have the operation. Went to Hawaii on vacation for 24 days. Now there is no pain or stiffness (well, no more than the "good" knee which I assume is a touch of arthritis).

Does not bother me at all skiing either. I hit hot tub and steam bath right after skiing. Then a shower and a glass or two of wine. Life is good.

Meanwhile, it is a beautiful day here and the sun is shining. As a rule, I like to rest my legs a day before skiing again. The weather Thurs-Sat is supposed to be warmer and sunnier.

I already have more ski days this year than last and we didn't get back from Hawaii until Dec. 20th. ;)

22. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Glad to hear.

CW

23. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    A few of us from the East Coast will be in Breckenridge and Vail Feb 10 - 13. If anyone wants to organize a get together to meet it would be cool to do. Jon in Delaware

24. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    As is typical, will be in NoVA at that time! Preparing for Targa66.

But, if you want a few reccies for places to drink or eat and/or things to do, I can point you in the right direction in Vail.

CW

25. AlanWard

AlanWard Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2010
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alan Ward
    If I'm up there that weekend (I'll know nearer the time)