Sir Lewis Hamilton it is . . . . | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sir Lewis Hamilton it is . . . .

Discussion in 'F1' started by pilotoCS, Nov 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I would disagree. Being an athlete or sportsman doesn’t make his point of view less relevant or not smart. After all a lot of former athletes end up in politics and so forth. It’s a beautiful thing to have enough power to change the world a little bit and he along with people like the kardashian , he has it.
    I wish him well. Personally as , I said, I think he deserves his successes. I do think he seems to be trying a bit too hard sometimes. After all f1 has never been a sports for and from the people unlike soccer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuvolari, Jakuzzi and jpalmito like this.
  2. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    This point of view is valid but what sportsman in the past has had a real influence on the world?

3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Does a knighthood have other benefits, besides a formal title?

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Probably Muhammad Ali

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Barbedwyre

Barbedwyre Karting

Jan 21, 2018
    #30 Barbedwyre, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Magic Johnson. HIV was not taken seriously until he got it and talked about it.

Jesse Owens.

This question is too easy and shows a lot about the person who asked and the segment of the population who thinks that way. I’m not being derogatory or taking a shot at all. Theres plenty of sportsman that have influenced the world. It just depends on what “world” you live in.

6. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    Colin Kaepernick springs to mind. Absolutely no interest in NFL whatsoever, so the very fact I know his name shows his influence besides the sport he practices. Quite a cynical statement to ridicule everybody wanting to change the world who happens to do sports for a living. Who can do that without ridicule? Comes with the turf I guess.

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Jackie Stewart received his knighthood more on the back of his contribution to dyslexia awareness rather than his motor racing.

Nortonious likes this.
  8. Barbedwyre

Barbedwyre Karting

Jan 21, 2018
    Roger Bannister had a huge impact on psychology that has trickled down throughout many aspects of society.

9. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    "Change the world"? Oh come on, please :rolleyes:

Nortonious and kes7u like this.
  10. Barbedwyre

Barbedwyre Karting

Jan 21, 2018
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

11. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Instead of making unhealthy innuendoes, go to the end of your deep thought that I understand what your prejudices are.

Jack-the-lad and Igor Ound like this.
  12. Barbedwyre

Barbedwyre Karting

Jan 21, 2018
    #37 Barbedwyre, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Lol what? My prejudices? After the comment you made? LOL

I didn’t even call you racist or prejudice or insinuate anything of the sort. If I thought anything like that I would’ve said it explicitly. I’m no stranger to being banned for a week here for speaking my mind.

I have no prejudices in this regard. I’m not the one who is saying a “sportsman should stay in his place”. There is no mystery in my words. I clearly said “I am not being derogatory or taking a shot”. If you live in a world where no sportsman has made an impact in the last 100 years then you live in a different world than a lot of people. Which is exactly what I said stating it depends what “world” you live in.

For example, I’m not gay. If someone speaks on gay issues well I’ll have to take them at their word because I’m not in that “world” and therefore am not knowledgeable on what influences that demographic or gives them hope or who they look up to, whatever. Same with people from different countries or cultures or any social demographic. For all I know there is a gay athlete that opened doors or gives that community hope to be able to do things they didn’t think were possible. This is the importance of representation. So to ask “what sportsman has influenced the world” goes to show that in your “world” athletes may not be important. But for the world of millions or billions of other people maybe they were influenced by a sportsman. Long story short... Your world is not the only one that exists.

If a female athlete spoke on a subject and someone said “that sportswoman should stay in her place” that would also be equally and widely ridiculed for very specific reasons. How is this is even a point of contention lol.

I don’t care about Lewis’ demographic. Roger Bannister and Arnold were probably more influential to me growing up and as a young man than any other athletes. And especially now as an upper 30’s adult I love the hardwork Arnold professes and his story.

Your statement is just as absurd as asking to name what artist has influenced the world.

13. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

I think you have an evaluation problem about what really has an impact on the world.
    As remarkable as they are, athletes are only the actors of a society of spectacle.
    Do you need a celebrity athlete or artist to talk about something to be aware of it?
    There are so many ways today to cultivate and build your own personality without waiting for opinion leaders to do it for you.
    But perhaps I should be more factual in making you understand that words have meaning.
    Simple example:
    Pearl harbor 1941, entry of the USA in the Second World War, world impact.
    That was the meaning of my reflection, no value judgment on my part, just a resizing.
    Realize that your world of mass media concerns only a tiny part of humanity.

kes7u likes this.
  14. Barbedwyre

Barbedwyre Karting

Jan 21, 2018
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha

We have:
    Pearl Harbor 1941 with the corresponding entry into WW2

These are the qualifiers for examples of world impact in a thread about an athlete from Britain being knighted? And about athletes influences on the world? LOL WOW. The absurdity of your response cannot be quantified.

I guess the Israeli athletes being murdered at the 72 olympics had no impact either considering we’re using Pearl F’ing Harbor as the litmus.

“Do you need a celebrity athlete or artist to talk about something to be aware of it?“ This isn’t about what I need but to answer this BS question... Many people don’t know things until someone they admire/follow with more world experience exposes it to them. Even if its “mass media” BS. IE ALS Ice bucket challenge. Breast Cancer awareness etc etc... But apparently there are people that know everything about everything without having learned or heard about it from someone famous. Amazing achievement.

I don’t give a rats ass about “mass media”... I don’t have facebook/instagram/twitter take your pick of whatever social media app there is, I’m not on it. I don’t follow anyone on anything. Hell I haven’t played video games since college. I have the F1 scheduled synced on my google calendar and I tune in for races thats about it.

In Closing I will neither be reading nor responding further. Usually I do not mind taking a ride into crazy town if I believe the debate is healthy and honest but I can see that this conversation is neither given the qualifying parameters.

I genuinely wish you all the best and hope you and your loved ones are healthy and remain that way during these trying times.

15. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

I agree, so many go off the boil once they are knighted.
    Sir Cliff Richard among others went down hill shortly afterwards

16. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  17. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Was “Devil Woman” pre the KBE ?

Anyway, as I said, I think Lewis deserves his knighthood, But, if he goes off the boil next year that‘s good with me too.

Unless that gives Max the title, or Seb, or Bottas, or pretty much anybody other than Charles, Carlos or my home boys Lando and George, unless they are fighting Charles and Carlos.

Anyway, no point fantasising, it’s going to be Lewis again isn’t it...?

18. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

IIRC Devil Woman was pre Knighthood, but don't quote me on that :D

Agree there's no point in speculating - it will be Mercedes again for the 8th consecutive year. Yawn.
    Probably Hamilton again as Bottas lacks the fight of Rosberg.

19. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Nope, no lands, castles or treasure I’m afraid.
    Times have changed since Game of Thrones.

Usually they are given to senior public servants at the end of their careers; soldiers, Whitehall mandarins, ambassadors and so on.
    Otherwise they seem go to actors, entertainers and sportsmen.
    LH will actually be very young for a Knight

20. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Motorsport related knighthoods have been an utter joke since John Surtees never got knighted. The only man to win titles in F1 and pinnacle of 2 wheels. And, I do believe, always lived in the UK.

21. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    TonyL and Mitch Alsup - P&R comments. 30-day thread bans.

22. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
  23. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    A Knighthood is a very big deal. Congratulations to Sir Lewis. A well deserved honour.

Boomhauer and fer312t like this.
  24. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Why are those that are knighted referred to Sir "First name" instead of Sir "Last name"?