Single Disc Clutch- Possible Lamborghini in TR? | FerrariChat

Single Disc Clutch- Possible Lamborghini in TR?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by versamil, Jun 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I purchased a semi basket case Swiss Testarossa a few years ago, and have always wondered about the single disc clutch it came with. It's a Valeo 174069 Pressure plate. The clutch disc is 10 3/4 inches diameter.
    The pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel with SIX millimeter bolts instead of the common eight millimeters in the Testarossa. The nine bolts that fasten the clutch to the flywheel are located in groups of three at 120 degree intervals instead of being spaced equally around the perimeter of the flywheel. The flywheel has a partial tag on the back of it with I assume a date of 10/03 2003. The flywheel has engravings for timing marks for 1-6 and 7-12 cylinders, so I ALWAYS figured this was another version of a Testarossa flywheel. But doing a check on google I come up with this being a clutch used in the Murcielago. The bolts that fasten the clutch plate are 11 1/4 inches apart center to center. The pressure plate is cast aluminum instead of being a stamped steel plate.

So any thoughts? Not knowing the history of the car, who knows what happened. The flywheel certainly bolts right up to the Testarossa crankshaft, Did Ferrari use a flywheel in the Testarossa series at any point with 6 mm bolts? Certainly trading a Ferrari clutch to a Lamborghini clutch AND flywheel wasn't done to save money. The Murcielago was certainly available in the date on the tag, that's still visible on the flywheel. In the ad for this car, it stated the car needed a clutch, but this clutch disc certainly is not worn out. So I have to decide whether to chuck the entire mess, and purchase a used Ferrari flywheel and use original clutch or continue to use what may be a weird setup. It did work, as I have videos of the car driving.

2. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Part of the ripped remaining tag on the back of my flywheel had the numbers 001 389 00. Part number 138 900 comes up as a 512TR flywheel. I know the 512's went back to a single disc clutch. Did they use Valeo clutches? I'm having difficulty finding a Valeo parts book online.

The only reason I posted this today, is another thread clearly showed the flywheel for a double disc Testarossa, and my flywheel looked completely different.

3. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    We get spoiled at times, and maybe post prematurely, wanting instant gratification. Google can sometimes lead someone down the wrong path, making assumptions. With just a bit more research, I realize my 1986 single mirror TR has simply had a 512TR flywheel and clutch installed at some point. Reading many earlier posts by an assortment of posters, seems to make me think the later single disc clutch has been a reliable update to the twin disc setup. At 10 3/4 inches in diameter, the disc certainly looks up to the task. It just happens that Lamborghini used the same Valeo clutch in their cars..

4. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Can you detect what other parts were used in the upgrade? Hill Engineering sells a kit to do this, but if you can isolate what parts were used on your TR then we may have a simpler path toward the single clutch bliss.

5. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I saw Hill Engineerings kit, but then looking at just clutch parts for 512's it appears they use the same pressure plate, clutch disc. Certainly the flywheel has the same bolt pattern. so I have to assume if the throw-out bearing needed to be changed it's already done. My 86 car has the complete updated 512 clutch, that may need to be rebuilt or new parts. Since buying the car, the fact it had a single disc clutch has been just bugging me, not KNOWING what had happened. When buying a pile of parts, the seller could have thrown in practically anything. I'm frankly relieved to know what I have. The mystery is gone. Jamie posted a picture of his flywheel yesterday, and it made me really examine what I had. I KNOW mine was nothing like it should have been. Maybe it's better! Too bad it didn't have an updated 512M diff already..But if having a single clutch is bliss, I may be there.

xplodee likes this.