Simple Poll - have you ever gone over 122 mph | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Simple Poll - have you ever gone over 122 mph

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Whisky, Dec 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Have you ever gone over 122mph on an open road ?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    150mph in the 730d (yes I know, the fuel of satan) on an empty A-road a couple of times. On the same road, a friend of mine drove his (fairly new, 2002 I think) renault clio. we did 110mph in his 'beast'. I wasnt feeling very comfortable with that, it wasnt even windy but those little french hatchbacks just arent build for those speeds, maybe up to 80mph they're ok. Besides, my friend, who is a bit of an idiot screaming 'WE'RE DOING 100MPH....105.........105 (with a bit of tailwind, a while later)110MPH!!!' wasnt helping me feeling comfortable.

I can understand some younger people just dont want to do more than 100mph in french hatchbacks.

When i just had my license, another friend of mine asked me if i wanted to come with him to pick up his daily driver, again a clio but now an old one (early 90s). He left it about 20 miles from home at a friends house a week before, because he had a frustrating day at work and took his 180sx home to fun route. Only he forgot to tell me the brakes where nearing the end of their lives...
    it was a sunday, no one on the road but us two, he off course shoots of like a rocket in front of me and i try to keep up with the 1.4 diesel clio. about 45 seconds later it was touching 80mph, when i saw a car that needed overtaking. no problem, and when i was passed him i saw 3 more cars about 200 yards in front of me, doing an estimated 60 as they werent aproaching that quick. I let of the throttle, dipped the brakes a bit and didnt feel anything. The cars upfront came up closer now so i brake a bit more...nothing. I now was a bit worried as the car in front was a pretty new SLK 55amg. I now had the brake pedal welded to the floor but barely decelerated. I yanked on the handbrake and finally I decelerated to a slower speed than the AMG. about 2 foor from the back of it. Can you say sweaty palms?

Thats the last time I had ever driven a french car, and hopefully the last time i ever will.

2. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    A good friend's Kenworth with 600 Cat topped out at 121mph in Nevada. Say's he still averaged 7mpg on the trip.
    Me?..Uh, never.

3. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Frequently... On track...

4. Spotcheckbilly

Spotcheckbilly Karting

Oct 6, 2006
    Peachtree City, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'll fess up here too. My max was just shy of 140 in my Mustang years ago somewhere in Alabama.
    Was still pulling when I backed off.
    Was only able to hit about 135 down the back straight at Road Atlanta (old layout with the dip) during my few opportunities on track there.
    Man, that was fun.

Scott

5. Barrister

Barrister Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2008
    The OC
    Full Name:
    "Big D"
    #180 Barrister, Aug 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Just a few times some 30 or so years ago, when it was easy to do over 120 on the highway. Many times on a racetrack....

7. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #182 AnotherDunneDeal, Aug 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017