SilverstoneGP 2020 Pre-race thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

SilverstoneGP 2020 Pre-race thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jul 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Indeed

For many years FIA stood for "Ferrari International Assistance" and all its competitors complained.

A348W likes this.
  2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    We've already had this discussion too many times.

I think that it's fair to admit that Mercedes had an unfair advantage and enjoys a politic strenght without precedent. But also that the rest haven't managed to put them at least under pressure.

I hate those views were the winner is super-smart and the rest are dumb. The same happened in the Red Bull days, I had to read here every day how genius Adrian Newey was, and look at them now, in the hybrid era they've been even worse than Ferrari.

stavura, Bmill, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

''Ferrari International Assistance''. A name made up by Ferrari detractors in the early 2000s. Some forget that it took Ferrari 20+ years to win a title before it! Hardly worthy of the International Assistance title...

FIA did their very vest to hamper Ferrari and Red Bull during the times they were quick. Not so with Mercedes. THAT's assistance!

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Newsflash, I'm not here complaining about Ferrari. Even without Mercedes Ferrari would be nowhere today.

"Secret engine deal''. If the FIA had something they'd throw the book at them. They had their suspicions how ferrari was doing it, but never did confirm it. They ran Ferrari with extra sensors (that no one else got btw!) since baku 2018! And they found sweet **** all. Otherwise the book would be thrown at them. FIA simply mandated an extra fuel sensor for everyone since then.

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
  7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
  8. DF1

Racing Point Formula 1 driver Sergio Perez is currently awaiting a COVID-19 retest following an inconclusive result ahead of the British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

Perez was due to be present for the FIA press conference on Thursday afternoon at Silverstone, but the team was only represented by Lance Stroll.

It was confirmed by the press conference MC that Perez was absent as a result of an "inconclusive" test result for COVID-19, and that he was self-isolating while awaiting the result of a second test.

A spokesman for Racing Point revealed that a small number of team members are also self-isolating after being in contact with Perez.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150925/perez-awaiting-covid-retest-after-inconclusive-result

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Uh, oh. Not good.

First he looses his seat, then his health. Bad times.

10. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150931/red-bull-plans-extensive-trial-of-new-parts

The Red Bull Formula 1 team plans to run an extensive trial of new parts in British Grand Prix Friday practice as it attempts to better understand its RB16 machine.

Team boss Christian Horner says the squad's 2020 challenger has some "anomalies" that it is trying to get on top of, after failing to produce the form that would allow it to challenge Mercedes for the championship.

This meant Mercedes was able to take a dominant victory at the Hungaroring last time out, a circuit where Red Bull put up a strong challenge the previous year.

While both Max Verstappen and Alex Albon are bracing themselves for it to take a while for Red Bull to get on top of everything, they both hope new parts brought to Silverstone will at least help deliver some progress.

Asked by Autosport about what the team had learned since the last race, Verstappen said: "I think we are still learning, we're bringing a lot of new parts to the car.

"They are different parts, to see what works, what doesn't, and where we can still improve.

"I mean this is of course not from one week to the other that it is going to be solved. We need a bit more time for that.

11. DF1

Testing does yield in-determinate results. We wait for new result.

12. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    I know this isn't the first time. But Elton is such a big 'Diva'! Oh look at me in my new fancy clothes I've bought from my 50 million dollar salary! :p

stavura likes this.
  13. DF1

Bubble burst I suppose..............bad news. He needed to race to keep his seat alive. Hopefully he will not have major problems with the covid and race sooon.

14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I wonder if there were any symptoms, or if this is like the other athletes we're seeing: no symptoms, and only known because of extensive testing?

15. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    It's a shame that other driver's style is so boring that the photographers has to resort to Hamilton for anything interesting

tifosi12 likes this.
  16. DF1

Hopeful that Bottas and other drivers who jet off after a race will now stay put. Either race and stay in the bubble or leave the series. No one is immune and you have no idea who around you is carrying the virus. Bottas flew off again between 2nd Austria and Budapest GP.

17. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    I wish the Strolls had the Virus instead. Get well soon Perez! :(

18. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Come on then; who is going to replace Perez this weekend...and probably next now at least?

I’d love to see Russel in ten pink car(nando, leclerc and Russel all in similar capable cars...what a race that would be!), but I’m sure it will be some reserve driver!

19. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Get well Checo. He'll probably miss next weekend too.

Nico Hulkenberg most likely replacement.

tifosi12 likes this.
  20. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Mods, is it ok to post the results in a pre-race thread?

stavura, Igor Ound, pilotoCS and 2 others like this.
  21. DF1

From BBC:

Racing Point share reserve drivers Stoffel Vandoorne and Esteban Gutierrez with Mercedes.

Gutierrez, who last raced in F1 in 2016, is the designated reserve for this weekend, as Vandoorne, who raced for McLaren in 2017 and 2018, is preparing for the resumption of the Formula E season, in which he is a title contender.

However, Racing Point have the option of picking another driver if they choose, and other drivers are under consideration. The team may feel that they want a driver with more recent experience than Gutierrez.

In that sense, German Nico Hulkenberg - who left F1 at the end of last season after three seasons at Renault, before which he drove for Racing Point when it was known as Force India - would be a leading contender. Hulkenberg was Perez's team-mate at the outfit from 2014-16.

22. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150936/hulkenberg-in-frame-to-replace-perez-for-british-gp

Nico Hulkenberg is in the frame to make a shock Formula 1 return this weekend at Silverstone with Racing Point following Sergio Perez's positive test for COVID-19.

The FIA confirmed on Thursday evening that Perez had tested positive for COVID-19 following multiple tests, ruling him out of the grand prix weekend while he goes into quarantine.

Autosport understands that recent Renault F1 driver Hulkenberg is Racing Point's preferred choice to take Perez's place for the British Grand Prix weekend, partnering Lance Stroll.

Hulkenberg previously spent five years affiliated with the Silverstone-based team under its Force India guise, racing in 2012 and 2014-2016 (below).

His most recent F1 start came at the 2019 season finale in Abu Dhabi when he made his last appearance for Renault.

Hulkenberg would need to undergo a COVID-19 test to ensure he is not carrying the virus, as well as finalising an agreement with the team to stand in for Perez.

Igor Ound and Nembo1777 like this.
  23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Gutierrez would be four seconds off so yes: Nico is the best choice since Vandoorne is busy elsewhere.

Ps: Get well cabronito;-)!

Igor Ound likes this.
  24. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    You know it's a fact that Elton's a Diva, right? Come on, we all know that! :p

stavura and Igor Ound like this.