Silver State Classic | FerrariChat

Silver State Classic

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by lashss, Jul 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Anyone run this event?

I need to check it off my list and would like to hear thoughts on how to run it "right".

I am torn between running it in a "cool" car vs. a prepared race car. The cool car would make it memorable but I have trouble driving slow when I am against the clock or against others in a competition.

Should I rent a car from AVIS the first year to get checked off then tow something out the second year?

LSJ

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    IIRC it's put on by the NorCal FCA club, so you might have better success posting in the NorCar regional forum.

it's a great event, good luck if you do it!

3. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Appreciate the NorCal tip...just may do that.

Can't believe nobody has run this here??

LSJ

4. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I ran it many years ago when it was basically unlimited. I brought a 175 MPH car and found it interesting to do once-frankly I was somewhat bored as it is mostly a 90 mile straight road with one curve(the narrows).
    Now it is heavily regulated and there are all sorts of low speed categories for those that like to play with GPS, rally timers,etc. My sister has done it the last few years in a Porsche and seems to enjoy it. Running a modern 180 mph sportscar at a strictly regulated 100-105 mph would bore me to tears, so I'm out. I'm sure the folks running 200 MPH in the unlimited class are still having fun- but those are essentially race cars these days with full cages, fire systems,etc.
    I prefer events like the Big Bend Challenge or the Targa Baja California where there are actually some curves,

5. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Forza, I have heard the same from other participants. I do need to check it off the list so I am inclined to do it once.

Tell me about the other open road events...

Should I save the fuel for the Virginia City Hillclimb instead?

LSJ